IGNORED

KUBO

dale_coop

At first, it was just an activity to keep my 5-year-old son busy, during the holidays, it was raining, he had watched me have fun with NESmaker and was very interested. I taught him how to use the software, he started by modifying some tilesets and designing a screen.
He liked the activity so much that he started again, but this time he had prepared a ton of small drawings and already ideas to make his own game. That's how KUBO was born.

KUBO-001.png  KUBO-002.png  KUBO-003.png

KUBO, the story of a cowboy turtle in search of a mysterious crystal hidden in a dangerous world, populated by monsters.
It is a game with only 1 level. You beat the monsters, you find the crystal, you win... it's that simple 😉

A presentation video (in french): https://youtu.be/KGH6_io9a3Y

For his birthday, as a surprise, I gave him the NES cartridge of his KUBO game! He was so happy and surprised (it was the first time I flashed a game on a NES cartridge... thanks again Paul, at InfiniteNesLives) 

Kubo-NES-Poster.pngIMG-4635.png

Here's the rom file:

kubo(NESMaker)_final.zip

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Fleck586 said:

That is so cool.  Dad of the Year right there!

Agreed, now see if you can drum up enough business to make 50 copies, and "all proceeds go to your sons college fund".  I don't buy many homebrews, but this is the type of Dad behavior I approve and, frankly, seeing a CIB copy of KUBO on my shelf might inspire me to do this same with my 2 little ones.

Administrator · Posted

For all of the...I'll say 'judgment' and criticism that NESMaker gets - it is really cool to see something like this that may not have been possible or feasible without it.  If something like NESMaker allows people to share the love for NES and game development with their children, in a cool bonding experience like this, then I am all for it!

I loved the video and I think it is super cool that you and your son were able to do this together!

• Like 1

Thanks you for the kind words.
I'll write more topics about the other ones... because, after KUBO (2018), my son made KUBO 2 (early 2019 for the Byte-Off NESmaker competition) and now he's making KUBO 3, that is really fun (he has now some experience... and has a ton of ideas). I hope I can post those in the next days.

Edited by dale_coop
  • Like 3

Even if he doesn't get into gaming, that type of excitement can lead him into college wanting to become an engineer.  It did me.  I started at 16 in 1997 with QBasic and even though my days are now filled with fighting fires and creating new functionality in a corporate website, it's a good career, has it's fun moments and is a field that tends to pay well once you get your degree.

Plus, if he has all of that experience by the time he's 18, he'll probably be able to sleep through many of his classes.  I mean, Finite States of Automata might be a little tough, but everything else might be a breeze.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dale_coop said:

Thanks you for the kind words.
I'll write more topics about the other ones... because, after KUBO (2018), my son made KUBO 2 (early 2019 for the Byte-Off NESmaker competition) and now he's making KUBO 3, that is really fun (he has now some experience... and has a ton of ideas). I hope I can post those in the next days.

Depending on ROM size, would all three fit on a cart?  Make a KUBO Trilogy and release it for his college fund.  Even a few hundred dollars, if invested correctly and left alone, would be several thousand later and would help with college for sure. I'd support it 100%

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fleck586 said:

Depending on ROM size, would all three fit on a cart?  Make a KUBO Trilogy and release it for his college fund.  Even a few hundred dollars, if invested correctly and left alone, would be several thousand later and would help with college for sure. I'd support it 100%

It could be done, but there would have to be a programming overhaul on the backside or make a new NESMaker project and jam all three games from scratch into it. I think this would be a cool idea though if the OP and his son have the time to do it.