Jump to content
IGNORED

NES: One Game to Define Each Genre


CasualCart
 Share

Recommended Posts

Graphics Team · Posted

Suppose you have to introduce someone to any given genre of game on the NES, and you can only use one game as your standard. 

For example, I think Solomon's Key is the best example of an action-puzzle game because it is a solid representation of the key elements of all other NES action-puzzlers, like Lolo or Kickle Cubicle.

-CasualCart

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Standard platformer - Super Mario Bros

Action platformer - Ninja Gaiden

Run and Gun - Contra

Adventure - Crystalis (almost went Zelda, but Crystalis is just more refined)

Shooter - Gun-Nac (it's just too fun, and not too hard; Life Force would be another contender)

Standard puzzle - Tetris

RPG - Final Fantasy

Racing - Eliminator Boat Duel (or Formula One: Built to Win if you want to stick to cars)

Sports - Tecmo Super Bowl, Blades of Steel, or Baseball Stars (sports are so different, hard to pick.)

Strategy - Uncharted Waters (don't know this that well)

Gameshow - Jeopardy or Super Jeopardy

Point and Click - Maniac Mansion

Pinball - Rock N Ball

Arcade - Donkey Kong Jr or Ms. Pac-Man Tengen version

Casino - Vegas Dream

Zapper - Duck Hunt or Gotcha

 

 

I forgot Beat-em-up. I'll throw in River City Ransom.

Edited by Tulpa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool idea. I'm going with the games that I think are the best, and not the most iconic franchise.

Standard platformer - Mr. Gimmick

Action platformer - Not really sure what the difference is. I'll go with Mega Man 2

Run and Gun - Contra

Adventure - The Guardian Legend

Shooter - I'd go with The Guardian Legend again, but for the sake of variety, I'll say Gun-Nac

Puzzle - Tetris

RPG - Dragon Warrior III

Racing - Super Off Road

Sports - Tecmo Super Bowl

Strategy - Pirates!

Point and Click - As a PC collector, I can't consider Maniac Mansion a NES game. It was the defining PC release for Lucasfilms. So, I'll say Princess Tomato

Arcade - Donkey Kong Jr or Ms. Pac-Man Tengen version

Zapper - Gotcha

Other - Bubble Bobble (possibly my single favorite game on the system)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

Cool idea. I'm going with the games that I think are the best, and not the most iconic franchise.

Adventure - The Guardian Legend

Shooter - I'd go with The Guardian Legend again, but for the sake of variety, I'll say Gun-Nac

 

That's quite a statement to say that Guardian Legend is a better Adventure game than Legend of Zelda, StarTropics, Willow, or Crystalis (though the latter two cross-over to Action-RPG) -- I would even stand up Blaster Master against Guardian Legend, for the Adventure Game category.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Homebrew Team · Posted
On 11/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, Tulpa said:

Racing - Eliminator Boat Duel (or Formula One: Built to Win if you want to stick to cars)

Formula One Built to Win is awesome and not many people talk about.  Imagine if Gran Turismo was made for the NES instead of Playstation.  It was one of the few games that I actively looked for at every game store and convention I went to.  I ended up finding a copy at Too Many Games 2 years ago.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Screw it, I'll just give my favorites.

Platformer - Adventure Island

Hack and slash - Ninja Gaiden

Beat em up - Double Dragon 2

Run and gun - Contra

Sports - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

Puzzle - Tetris

Arcade - Marble Madness

Racing - Bump n Jump

Shooter - Jackal

Adventure - Zelda,  I guess. Rygar? This isn't a genre that I typically play anymore.

There are some genres such as RPG, strategy and point and click where I have no favorites.

 

 

Edited by mbd39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Standard platformer - Super Mario Bros 2 USA

Action platformer - Castelvania

Run and Gun - Contra

Adventure - Zelda II

Shooter - Life Force

Standard puzzle - Puzznic

Action Puzzle - Mendel Palace

RPG - Destiny of an Emperor

Racing - Rad Racer

Sports - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Blades of Steel or Bad News Baseball

Strategy - Romance of the three Kingdoms II

Gameshow -  heh

Point and Click - Shadowgate

Pinball - Pinball

Arcade -  Bubble Bobble

Casino - Casino Kid, I guess. I must admit I came into this one only recently and I found its RPGesque presentation endearing. But really I prefer my casino games straight and to the point, quick to navigate and without any clutter.

Zapper - Wild Gunman

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Standard Platformer - Super Mario Bros. 2 USA

Action Platformer - Rygar

Run and Gun - Contra

Adventure - Legend of Zelda

Shooter - Life Force

Puzzle - Tetris

RPG - Dragon Warrior 4 (although I think Destiny of an Emperor is one of the best RPGs and doesn't get a whole lot of love @WhyNotZoidberg)

Racing - Rad Racer

Sports - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Strategy - Desert Commander

Gameshow - Wheel of Fortune

Point and Click - Shadowgate

Arcade - TMNT 2

Casino - Casino Kid ("I'm your sweat dealer!")

Zapper - Hogan's Alley

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Platformer - Super Mario Bros.

Arcade - Burgertime

Sports - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

RPG - The Legend of Zelda (even though I don't consider this an RPG)

Adventure - Metroid

Racing - RC Pro Am

Shooter - Lifeforce

Beat'emup - Battletoads

Puzzle - Dr. Mario

Zapper - Duckhunt (kinda boring answer, but its obviously the standard)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

That's quite a statement to say that Guardian Legend is a better Adventure game than Legend of Zelda, StarTropics, Willow, or Crystalis (though the latter two cross-over to Action-RPG) -- I would even stand up Blaster Master against Guardian Legend, for the Adventure Game category.

Really? I don't think it's even close. It's my #1 by far and I've played through all of them.

 

Zelda brings back more nostalgic feelings, and of course it was much more influential. The rest are all good, but not at the same level. Then again, I probably like TGL more than most. I'd say it's in my top 5 or 10 for the entire NES library.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

Really? I don't think it's even close. It's my #1 by far and I've played through all of them.

 

Zelda brings back more nostalgic feelings, and of course it was much more influential. The rest are all good, but not at the same level. Then again, I probably like TGL more than most. I'd say it's in my top 5 or 10 for the entire NES library.

Guardian Legend is a ton of fun, but it is nowhere near as refined as StarTropics, IMO, when it comes to the adventure portion of the gameplay.

 

It has a fun hybrid genre thing going for it and as a total package it is fun -- but I'd rate it toe-to-toe with Blaster Master and Air Fortress for "blended genre" games (and yes Air Fortress is "cruder looking" but the space suit energy mechanic and fortress-mazes are really novel)

But I'd never rank Guardian Legend as being at the top of either genre it touches on when compared against dedicated genre games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Guardian Legend is a ton of fun, but it is nowhere near as refined as StarTropics, IMO, when it comes to the adventure portion of the gameplay.

 

It has a fun hybrid genre thing going for it and as a total package it is fun -- but I'd rate it toe-to-toe with Blaster Master and Air Fortress for "blended genre" games (and yes Air Fortress is "cruder looking" but the space suit energy mechanic and fortress-mazes are really novel)

But I'd never rank Guardian Legend as being at the top of either genre it touches on when compared against dedicated genre games.

I agree that the adventure aspects of TGL aren't as good as the adventure aspects of a game that is completely dedicated to that genre. However, I still think it's a better game than Star Tropics, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just my personal list:

 

PAL exclusive:  Mr. Gimmick

Famicom exclusive:  Splatterhouse

Homebrew/Zapper:  Super Russian Roulette

Platformer:  Super Mario 2

Lesser known sidescroller:  Shatterhand

Game of mini-games:  California Games

Football:  Tecmo Super Bowl

Baseball:  (tie) RBI Baseball/Baseball Stars

Hockey:  Ice Hockey

Best 2 player game:  probably one of the above sports games or Contra

RPG:   Crystalis

Shooter:  Lifeforce

Arcade/high score:  Burgertime

Hardest:  ghost and goblins

Easiest:  Felix the Cat

Best music:  Mega Man 2

Racing:  Micro Machines/Excitebike

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Standard platformer - Maniac Mansion

Action platformer - Maniac Mansion

Run and Gun - Maniac Mansion

Adventure - Maniac Mansion

Shooter - Maniac Mansion

Standard puzzle - Maniac Mansion

RPG - Maniac Mansion

Racing - Maniac Mansion

Sports - Maniac Mansion

Strategy - Maniac Mansion

Gameshow - Maniac Mansion

Point and Click - Uninvited

Pinball - Maniac Mansion

Arcade - Maniac Mansion

Casino - Maniac Mansion

Zapper - Maniac Mansion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...