IGNORED

When does the Christmas begin?

RH

When does the Christmas season begin?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. When does the Christmas season begin?

• December 25th, only.
    • A week before Christmas.
    • Two weeks before Christmas.
    • Not until December 1st.
    • After American Thanksgiving.
    • I follow culture--as soon as possible.
    • My lights and decorations NEVER come down because it's Christmas 365 days a year!
    • December 25th? Not until later.
    • I'm Jewish, you insensitive clod!
    • Who cares.
    • Other/Explain below.

It's a simple question but with the unbelievable push of materialism paired with people looking for some reason for cheerfulness, the Christmas season has now started creeping in as soon as November 1st rolls around.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.  I recall being a kid it was well understood that the tree didn't come down from the tree until the weekend after Thanksgiving and, for people of my parents age, "Christmas" often didn't begin until a week or two before December 25th.

I'm not a "humbug".  I really love the time of year, the decorations, living in the south and hoping for the very-rare chance of seeing snow on Christmas day and, ooooh, the tons of Christmas nostalgia television and movies.

However, every holiday deserves it's moment and it seems now that Thanksgiving in the US is completely overshadowed by Christmas trees, lights and Christmas items and music in many stores. I find that disappointing as a culture and what surprises me the most is that in the past 10 years, it's really been embraced by our culture to push the start of the Christmas season back further and further.

I'll not go on and on about this but I'm curious when you guys consider the start of the "Christmas" season.  For me, it will always be after Thanksgiving Day, and even then, it's a slow ramp up to December 25th.  It's to easy to burn out with anything more than that.

Edited by RH

I start thinking about Christmas on September 1, then heavily on November 1.

We buy decorations all fall, and then we put up the tree ON thanksgiving. Followed by Black Friday shopping.

Tree comes down Jan. 1 around 11am and packed away for next year (we alternate between fake white tree and fake green tree)...outdoor lights come down spring or first 50+ winter weekend.

Im itching to put up my tree now...but I’ll be patient.

At work we start putting up holiday decorations on December 1st, but we have several faiths represented, so it's more of a winter celebration. We generally leave them up until Epiphany (January 6th), as that seems to be a nice day to put them away.

Holiday parties usually start around December 1st, with most in the first two weeks. Most people are traveling or with their families after that.

Growing up, I do remember my mom's coupon club had their annual holiday/Christmas party generally in November, usually before Thanksgiving. It was the only time they could get everyone together. But I remember it being strange to hold it so early.

Edited by Tulpa

15 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

As soon as I hear Mariah Carey All I want for Xmas

I have a friend who insists it's not Christmas season until he hears the following three songs.

The Kinks - Father Christmas

Trans Siberian Orchestra - Carol of the Bells

Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus is Comin' to Town

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Starts right after Thanksgiving dinner, so even that evening is fair game. Even pie can be Christmas-ish.

It ENDS as soon as I hear anything by Mannheim Steamroller, which immediately steamrolls any and all merriment/happiness until I can forget about them for another year. Last year Christmas season extended all the way to Christmas! Happiest season in a long time.

55 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I have a friend who insists it's not Christmas season until he hears the following three songs.

The Kinks - Father Christmas

Trans Siberian Orchestra - Carol of the Bells

Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus is Comin' to Town

I'm more of a Slade fan myself, but you don't hear that one so much over here.

11 minutes ago, Estil said:

How about a week before Halloween? 🙂

latest?cb=20130821003215

PS: This strip is from October 23, 1959.  So yes "Christmas creep" goes as far back as at least sixty years ago!!

That's amusing, but I think the joke was how extreme was suggesting the creep. In all of my days, I've never heard of an older person mention that "Christmas" was out by mid-October. I mean, there might have been limited "Christmas decoration shows" in early October so people could order stuff (which would make sense if it were the 50s) but "Christmas" wasn't out then until well after Thanksgiving, according to everything I've ever heard my family say.

IMHO, I think Schultz was sadly "prophetic" on that comic.

8 minutes ago, ALTQQ said:

Get a festivus pole instead, it's what the holiday season is really aboot

Man, oh man... my friends in college did Festivus once and we let our main circle invite other friends who were in town.  All in all, we had about 25-30.  Our mistake was inviting about 6-7 girls who lived together.  All was well and good until the Airing of the Grievances. We guys were all having a good time, just giving constructive criticism or airing our minor gripes about not cleaning up coffee pots but when it got to the ladies, the claws. Came. Out.

What's crazy is they were friends and but they took the exercise too seriously, and they weren't prepared to throw each other under each others own bus.  It was an awkward situation... until now. Now it's just hilarious.