IGNORED

Where is Basic B!$%@* collecting going?

DarkKobold

56 minutes ago, The Count said:

My NES/SNES/N64 collections are loose, I started casually collecting them in 1999 and pick up a few here and there as I find them. I like how they look on the shelves and they instill a sense of both accomplishment and motivation. No shame here.

Thats pretty much my story except i started around 2002...and I just finished my NES set (-SE) this week which was my main goal 🥳

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ginoscope said:

I think the SSDS3 really affected the prices of the coregrafx and the supergrafx.  The cores were sub $100 before that came out.  The TG16 library is the only one that I have been actively collecting these days.  The US set is actually rare compared to other systems so I see that cooling a bit but still holding it's value.  It makes sense that with everyone suggesting to just get the japan version of a game those prices would eventually go up.  I'm really close to completing the US TG16 set so I'm just patiently chipping away at it.  I am curious what the TG16 mini will do to the prices.  We will know soon enough.....

Yeah I'm quite curious as well.  They put a pretty solid selection on it given the amount of games within reason to include around licensing and all that, though some of it is doubled down for english so they only have to produce one unit.  I'm sure the HakChi guys can't wait to take a crack at it as it clearly has ample room for a lot with some CD titles on it.  I could see potentially despite the Duo buying such a device and loading something to it just for the HDMI, but less likely now that I've got the everdrive+some CDs on that PCE Duo of mine.  If I did though I'd import it, the TG shell was always bloated and ugly, love a mini core grafx.

You're right the PCE-CG1/2 stuff were like low, quite low even with the shipping notably under $100 as I could track that by the time I grabbed mine it had already hit.  The games hadn't gone up overseas but the hardware did.  I got lucky and had a credit card based gift card and ended up with a CG2 complete with 3 games for 50 shipped so I couldn't complain.  Now though the cards are going up quite a bit this year, delayed reaction to those fed up with US prices and lack of selection surely too.

It will always mystify me the stupidity of the US branch of NEC.  Why when these companies were already well established in the US with their own releases would they not get Capcom, Namco, Konami, and others on board was mind blowing.  Even Sega could have worked perhaps, considering they released nothing and had AV create/publish ports on the PCE.  When you see stuff like 1941, Shinobi, Ninja Warriors, Space Harrier, Dracula X, SF2 CE, Gradius, Salamander,  (the less likely Parodius and Twinbee), Out Run, Galaga 88/90, Dragon Spirit and sequel Dragon Saber, After Burner,  Bomberman 94, and quite a lot more including the solid JP more unique published stuff it's just beyond dumb.  The opportunity was there to really wreck the Genesis in 89/90 and blew it.

I guess I don't get why the NES classic would be the turning point on cart only.  That certainly wasn't the first time people were able to play the games without a cart, and it didn't even come with near the full library out of the box.  People who are willing to hack the NES classic to load roms on it were somehow reliant on carts before it came out?   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 1:42 PM, B.A. said:

I guess I don't get why the NES classic would be the turning point on cart only.  That certainly wasn't the first time people were able to play the games without a cart, and it didn't even come with near the full library out of the box.  People who are willing to hack the NES classic to load roms on it were somehow reliant on carts before it came out?   

It didnt. It affected the common titles that were on it and system values. It put a damper on the casual market. Your contra, mario 3, zelda titles took a hit. Systems really took a hit.

Uncommon and rares have gone up or stayed the same. The only title ive really seen come down is flintstones. Went from near 1000 to more like 700. Samson replaced it as the go to obtainable licensed game.

On 12/3/2019 at 7:23 AM, jonebone said:

But the thrill is in the hunt, owning the collection isn't as fun unless you continue to interact with it on a regular basis.

That said, if I was one game away from a set I would also just buy it.  I get being patient while building the set but at the end just reward yourself!

I agree.  It must be so hollow to have so much money that you can buy anything and everything you want instantly.  Part of the fun is not only finding the game but finding it for the price you want.