IGNORED

Game Debate #155: Half Life 2

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Events Team · Posted

I mean, pretty undeniably a masterpiece. I would say it's just BARELY under my absolute favorite games of all time list, but it's very very close. I went with a 9/10, but I would probably go 9.5 if it was more granular. Absolutely spectacular and groundbreaking game, especially for its time. Still holds up incredibly well to this day, by this point I'd feel pretty comfortable calling it timeless honestly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Events Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Never played it but I enjoyed 1 so I should play it one day.

Oh yeah, 100% you gotta play it at some point if you enjoyed 1, as well as Episodes 1 and 2. Black Mesa is also really good, and these days is my preferred way to experience the first game, personally.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/Black_Mesa/

In college, for 4 years, HL and it's mods were always being played, at some point.  We had a server we kept open and there was always someone to play with. 

But this wonderful game came out after I graduated and since I moved back home, far from friends and living with my parents in a country home with only a dial-up option, I never able to play this one multiplayer.  I did love the single player campaign, though and it felt like an excellent example of what a sequel should be.

I gave it an 8, but with a different experience, I'm sure it could have been higher.

• Like 1

I never got into the Half Life games, but that main reason for that is that I never played either of them when they first came out.  I gave both games a try many years later, but I just couldn't get into them.  With that said, I could tell by playing both games that I would have been blown away if I played them when they were released.  

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I never got into the Half Life games, but that main reason for that is that I never played either of them when they first came out.  I gave both games a try many years later, but I just couldn't get into them.  With that said, I could tell by playing both games that I would have been blown away if I played them when they were released.  

Half-Life 1 I can kinda understand that, it's definitely quite dated by now, but Half-Life 2 still holds up reeeaaally well IMO. I played it years after it first came out and was still blown away, personally. I'd actually once again recommend Black Mesa if you ever wanted to give Half-Life 1 a try in a more modernized form, while still retaining the base gameplay elements.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/Black_Mesa/

• Like 2

It’s so damn good. The only reason I didn’t give it a 10/10 is because of my own OCD about being stingy with 10s but if there’s one game that deserves it it’s this one.

Also I originally played this with MnK as one does and recently tried playing with a game pad and holy cow talk about a foreign feeling. This coming from someone who mostly still uses game pads on online FPS games.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
46 minutes ago, Strange said:

It’s so damn good. The only reason I didn’t give it a 10/10 is because of my own OCD about being stingy with 10s but if there’s one game that deserves it it’s this one.

Also I originally played this with MnK as one does and recently tried playing with a game pad and holy cow talk about a foreign feeling. This coming from someone who mostly still uses game pads on online FPS games.

Have you given out any 10s?

point of order: the game is "Half-Life 2" with a hyphen

HL2 is one of the best games I've ever played, and I'm not a gigantic shooter fan. It expertly blends first person shooting with imaginative and interesting level design and puzzles. It feels "open world" despite its linearity. There are games from 15+ years later with NPCs who cannot meet the player's eye line or animate their faces as well as HL2.

It's not flawless, most agree that the vehicle portions go on a little too long, and some criticize the "gun play," but the whole is a masterpiece.

10/10

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gentlegamer said:

Great opening or greatest opening?

While it obviously makes much more sense going in to it with the context of Half-Life 1, I actually played Half-Life 2 before ever playing the first, which honestly I think was a good thing for me since, not knowing anything about what was going on, who this guy was or what he was talking about, this opening immediately really intrigued me, and I wanted to know more about what the hell was going on. And the storytelling in the game is so great that despite the fact that I hadn't played the first game at the time, I could still somewhat pick up on what exactly happened in the past based on the dialogue from the NPCs about the Resonance Cascade and whatnot.

• Like 1

I never did beat the game all the way through and I haven't played it since probably 2010. That said, I do remember quite enjoying it at the time, so I gave it an 8/10. While I think the original Half-Life left a much bigger and better impression on me, Half-Life 2 certainly felt like a "game changer" in the industry and I have to give it props for that. It clearly never became one of my all-time favorites or anything but I still respect it.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Wtf. Did ALDI make a mobile service? 🤣

Yeah they just piggyback off the biggest network here, Telstra.

So the coverage is amazing, especially in the rural areas, have great speeds and great call quality, except I don’t pay the expensive Telstra pricing.

They have a 365 day plan which works out to $9aud a month. Hands down the best mobile service I’ve ever had.

• Like 2