IGNORED

Movie Debate #123: The Truman Show

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

Although I did like The Mask, I really really disliked Jim Carrey as an actor up until this movie, as I have no love for the style of comedies that made him famous. 

Truman Show proved that not only can he play (slightly) more serious roles, but he can play them incredibly well. This movie is creative, fun, and touching as hell! The premise is insane, but it's great at just making you roll with it.

I've seen it countless times and never tired of it. 9/10

Definitely a 9/10 but I could go with a 10/10 as well. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is my favourite Jim Carrey drama, but I do watch this one every 2-3 years as well.

Great cast and story. I also love pretty much everything Peter Weir directs, even if his resume isn't as long compared to other directors.

Events Team · Posted

Pretty good.  I don't know what more I want out of this movie.  I really dig the premise and it's executed well enough.  I watched it last year and I'm good for a while.

Maybe it makes me uncomfortable.  I mean, cameras are so ubiquitous, there is probably enough footage for a daily TV show of anyone who lives in the city.  I just assume I'm being watched pretty much all the time.

SOuYoha.gif

2 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Maybe it makes me uncomfortable.  I mean, cameras are so ubiquitous, there is probably enough footage for a daily TV show of anyone who lives in the city.  I just assume I'm being watched pretty much all the time.

I drive home with my smartphone constantly uploading my GPS location, sensor data, contacts, schedule, messages, and browsing history to Google. It records everything I say just in case I say “OK Google”. My phone pings off 8 towers on the way home so Verizon can triangulate me. My Tesla sees me walk up my driveway from 5 different angles, it uploads over a gigabyte of data to Tesla daily. At my door my Ring Doorbell sees me come home and stores the clip. My Nest thermostat knows I come from work at 6 so my house is already 69 degrees. Nest senses me walk into the living room so it will keep the temperature comfortable. “Alexa turn on Netflix”. Amazon sends a request to Phillips to set my home lights, my voice clip and actions are logged. Alexa recognizes it’s me and welcomes me home. My TV turns itself on and sends telemetry back to TCL about what I’m watching. The Netflix algorithm analyzes my personal data for the past 12 years to try to serve me content to keep me subscribed to the platform as long as possible.

”Oh hey The Truman Show, man that movie is scary!”

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 4
  • Agree 2

Administrator · Posted

Really really enjoyed this movie.  I gave it a 9.  It was such an interesting movie, and he did a great job in a more serious role, which was refreshing and good to see.

At the time, it felt so unique and different, and I loved seeing the story unravel and him realize what was going on.  Just a super cool experience.

I also *really* liked Eternal Sunshine and thought he did great in that too.

• Agree 1

Wow, I'm surprised at all of the 10s.  I found this film enjoyable and I can watch it, if I catch it, once every 5-10 years and never feel like I wasted my time.  My wife was a bigger fan than I was.  But there's something about this film that I can't put my finger on.  I feel like this film is missing something.  Maybe it's because it feels like, to me, it needs a bit of an epilogue.  In that case, this would have made a much better book, but something critical too this film feels off or out of place.

8/10 for me, but only because it's not as (repeatedly) rewatchable as some other movies that I love more.  It's been many years though and I've got the 4K UHD pre-ordered.  Great, great movie.

One of my favorite moments is when the group of people in wheelchairs block his path.  So funny!