IGNORED

Can the NES/SNES be pared down to 50 games each?

29 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

For the most part, the snes games are souless versions of their NES counterparts. Fancy graphics but shallow , hollowness underneath.

I like the SNES but I’m not overly passionate about it, I just wanted to comment on your controversial opinion. 😛

I do adore stuff like Super Metroid and FFIII/VI which I believe to be massive improvements over their NES counterparts. But I do think you’re right in that you’ve probably got 20 “must haves” on the SNES list and the rest would likely differ depending on peoples’ tastes. Like someone may have Axelay in the spot someone has Mystical Ninja, etc.

Whereas for NES you’ve probably got at least 50 must haves that most people would agree belong on the list.

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

For the most part, the snes games are souless versions of their NES counterparts. Fancy graphics but shallow , hollowness underneath.

I've actually got like 40 SNES games, so double your number of twenty, but yeah, I've always felt like the SNES is the start of the formulaic genre era - no more wild and crazy ideas, no more getting neck-deep lost in a weird ass world where you don't even know what you're doing or where you're going but you're having a hell of a lot of fun trying to figure it out.  Even modern NES homebrews are stuck on this "must fit into a genre" fallacy (man was Lizard a breath of fresh air; now THAT'S a true NES-style game!)  My motto for the SNES:

Super Nintendo: The magic is gone.

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rudybegga said:

You must really love the 1 arcade game to sacrifice an entire shelf (hundreds!) of games!!!

Haha nah, I just have the arcades that use cartridges to change the game. Neo Geo, Sega ST-V and Atomiswave though the latter doesn't have a cabinet and neither the ST-V or Neo Geo use the 5 buttons so thus it would have its own arcade home 🙂

Yeah what's up with crapping on the SNES?  I don't see how it's any more soulless than the NES if you really dig into it.  Similar levels of crap to average to good/great quality titles.  Both plagued with an unholy pile of licensed dumpster fires.  They both have similar franchise releases, while one has less of them, it could be seen as just not beating it into the ground as much.  The NES would have a leg up in having less garbage ported to it considering there wasn't much of a competing device to worry about outside of arcade ports.  But then again the SNES had what the NES did and refined quite a few of those hot franchises into better experiences like the already mentioned Metroid.  To say you can dumb the SNES library down to just 20 must haves is almost a kick in the teeth as it's quite easy to go higher.  I think most of the life sucking soullessness of stuff really picked up when games ran away into the optical format, more room less creativity, and more cookie cutter and pumped out crap because the cost of a disc was far cheaper to run a risk from.  Though if there was one system that really held out in bringing experiences for years to come would be Gameboy.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 11/19/2019 at 7:26 PM, Tanooki said:

See for yourself, I can give you a list of X to remove to hit 50 if you're that curious but it saves me the trouble of writing that up or pasting it.  I do have a few famicom titles, I don't include those so they'd just get sold.

http://tanooki.byethost16.com/nintendo.html

http://tanooki.byethost16.com/supernintendo.html

Most games are subjective so I'll give you a pass on some of those.  But Ultraman?  That game is objectively terrible! 😅 😛

Editorials Team · Posted

...and If I had to make a bold claim, I'd say there's at least 150 SNES games any non-curmudgeons should be able to have a good time with.  Ditto for another 50+ SFC.  Anyone who says otherwise is too ADD for New Horizons, never played On the Ball, never gathered up five people for Super Bomberman 5, can't handle the majesty of Tactics Ogre, or is dead inside like fc. 😅

Essential games though?  That's different for everyone.  How many Mega Mans do you need in your life?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Californication said:

I have about 70 of each, but I feel like 80 is the best number for both.

@Defaultgen,

Dragon Fighter and Lone Ranger didn't make it on any of your lists? -- For shame.

The biggest burn to those games is that I included Donkey Kong 3 on the list just because it says Donkey Kong, and we all know DK3 sux.

15 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I sort of feel where you're coming from, I love Nintendo 8-bit way more and was disappointed by games like Link to the Past or Super Metroid vs. their 8-bit progenitors. I feel like the SNES makes up for it in other places, however, such as in weird one-offs like Sutte Hakkun and Umihara Kawase, or in Nintendo's less obvious hits, like Pilotwings or Mario's Super Picross.

It doesn't help that I'm not much for JRPGs, which is one of the genres in which SNES really shines. It's also one of those systems that gets much better if you can read Japanese, which I can only begin to grasp, but when you can, the library gets much wider in terms of great releases. Most of those are RPGs though 😛 

It would be incredibly difficult with the NES to limit the list to 50. I feel I'd be leaving out some games I rate 9/10 and that is pretty harsh. I could easily make a list of 300 NES games and feel they were all good games as well.

SNES Is easier, but still very hard. I don't rate snoozefests like Final Fantasy and similar games, so probably I'd be down in the 8/10 or even 7/10 games by the time I reached 50 on the list.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:11 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

Most games are subjective so I'll give you a pass on some of those.  But Ultraman?  That game is objectively terrible! 😅 😛

I classify that one as so bad it's good.  I like the rubber monster movies, and the game plays much like that with the slow deliberate movements.  If anyone was looking at that thinking street fighter, then it is downright awful.

If I'd restrict myself to a Top 50 of NES games (which is easy, because I already have a top 100 in progress), I'd be missing out awesome titles like Crisis Force, Gargoyle's Quest 2, Battletoads, Rescue Rangers, and Don Doko Don 2.

You could easily argue none of those are must-plays though, you can say that about a lot of games. But I still think people should play them. 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

15 hours ago, Sumez said:

Imagine not having an arcade cabinet in your home, that must be awful.

I'm going to have to agree with this being part of the arcade cabinet that takes many cartridge style games club. 😄  I'd rather have the cabinet than the wall of crap to stare at and little use.

• Like 1