IGNORED

Remove Banners

ThePhleo

41 minutes ago, B.A. said:

There should only be two of them. I removed the latest posts one as that's been there awhile. The secret santa one needs to stay a bit longer.

I think I figured out the problem...though it changes my browsing habits for the internet in general.

I don’t have cookies enabled on my browser. Enabling it disables the banners once and for all when I click them

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

I think I figured out the problem...though it changes my browsing habits for the internet in general.

I don’t have cookies enabled on my browser. Enabling it disables the banners once and for all when I click them

Yeah their clicked state is stored in a cookie. 

Administrator · Posted
10 hours ago, MachineCode said:

Any way to store that flag in the DB with the user profile data or is it just part of the forum software that you don’t have access to?

It's the way it's built, and tbh I can see why - having a bunch of bool flags on every user account, adding up every single time we do an announcement? That'll add up a lot over time and would make the database unnecessarily huge. Especially considering that those announcements are all temporary.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

It's the way it's built, and tbh I can see why - having a bunch of bool flags on every user account, adding up every single time we do an announcement? That'll add up a lot over time and would make the database unnecessarily huge. Especially considering that those announcements are all temporary.

I’m glad you mentioned the temporary nature of them as I would have proposed a lastestBanner flag so it would be a single bool field per user but since it’s baked in to the software it’s a moot point

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

On 11/17/2019 at 6:35 PM, ThePhleo said:

Can we get rid of those banners up top?

I have to click them off every time I log in, and sometimes theres three of them.

Hey man, I know it has been a while, and thankfully there's currently only one banner, but are you for or against a Sage plushie? Don't forget to vote!

• Haha 3
  • Eyeroll 1

On 11/19/2019 at 3:36 PM, Gloves said:

A flag for 1024 individual banners is a single 128 byte value. That is a fraction of most people's signatures. 😛 

But how about a compromise, a single user setting that just disables banners entirely (like you can do with signatures)? It would definitely be a massive help.

• 1 month later...
Events Helper · Posted
42 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Still getting a lot of banners coming back even after I've clicked them away multiple times. It's as frustrating as ever

do u have cookies?  If u have cookies, they will disappear when u click them and it remembers, through cookies, that they have been clicked........

• 1 month later...

Here's a small CSS snippet (usable with plugins like StyleBot etc) to fix the issue if anyone else is interested, permanently hides all banners so you don't have to click them away all the time:

.cAnnouncementPageTop {
    display: none !important;
}

Should have added this ages ago 😄 Now I just gotta figure out how to make that work on my phone as well.

Edited by Sumez