IGNORED

(USA) List of NES Stickers, Hangtabs, and Screw Variants

ThePhleo

Here is the definitive list of NES Sticker variants, Hangtabs, and Screw Variants.

As far as I can tell, there is VERY little room for improvement but as new things surface I'm sure things can change.

I think it's safe to say that 5-screw Stadium Events is legitimate with 3 known copies floating out there (C, CI, and CIB) and from my research, 3-Screw DK Math is in a similar boat to the Ultra/Konami 5-Screw variants....also, 5-Screw R.C. Pro-Am is still super weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

All 3 screw DK Maths were from the original mid-86 print run.  5 screw RC pro am was printed in early 88 and would make it the only 5 screw game printed in 88.  I think there was only 1 found so that tells me refurb, personally.

I recall one of the very few braveheart69 PMs that ACTUALLY got a response saying that his copy had no back, implying it may be the same story with the Ultra/Konami variants.

If you have any photos of 3-Screw DK Math boards made after the 5-Screw switch then I’ll gladly make it confirmed...but I have no photos to say without a doubt it exist in a commercially standard format.

Even then, like Stadium Events I would like more than one copy floating out there. I’m also considering moving Stadium Events back down to “Possibly” or “Likely Confirmed” since it’s kind of odd that three popped up in a two year span and none have since popped up.

Stadium Events absolutely makes sense as it was printed in that transition period.  Being its so rare obviously there arent any copies but since SE has one print run I could see it being both 3 and 5.  I dont have the pictures for DK Math but I had NES Gansta send them to me on the old forum.  I was able to verify it since he couldn't read date codes and every 3 screw was from the original print run in mid 86.  As ive stated a few times already, all RARE 3 screw black box games (Gyro, DK, DKJr, Volleyball, maybe one more?) all were reprinted in late 87 for xmas time I believe.  So I would say if 3 screw Soccer, DK Jr Math exist, it should have been printed around that time and since none have popped up at all, I would assume they were not as they were either low sellers or there were quite a few out there already.  Volleyball certainly is the oddball though.  

17 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

I recall one of the very few braveheart69 PMs that ACTUALLY got a response saying that his copy had no back, implying it may be the same story with the Ultra/Konami variants.

If you have any photos of 3-Screw DK Math boards made after the 5-Screw switch then I’ll gladly make it confirmed...but I have no photos to say without a doubt it exist in a commercially standard format.

Even then, like Stadium Events I would like more than one copy floating out there. I’m also considering moving Stadium Events back down to “Possibly” or “Likely Confirmed” since it’s kind of odd that three popped up in a two year span and none have since popped up.

My old sealed sticker dk math was found by wata (x-ray?) to contain a 3 screw cart, and be a slightly later revision of the box which makes no sense but nonetheless so it was.    There had to be some made with leftover parts such as that copy. 

18 minutes ago, Bronty said:

My old sealed sticker dk math was found by wata (x-ray?) to contain a 3 screw cart, and be a slightly later revision of the box which makes no sense but nonetheless so it was.    There had to be some made with leftover parts such as that copy. 

That’s really interesting!

I hate taking someone’s word for it without visible proof, but between Deniz, Kenneth, and you I think I can break my rule just once.

The only thing that leaves doubt in my mind is that I don’t know how exactly they’re confirming screw variants. Is it some kind of telemetry method (sonogram), or is it radiographic (X-ray), is it something low tech like using a small neodymium magnet ball across the surface and see if it stops in a spot, or is it something else?

Next time I bump into them I have to ask, but since I only recently demoted DK Math 3-Screw, and there’s a lot of people who say otherwise, I have no choice but to bump it back up.

Next update is in a few hours.

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

I dunno, I don't feel confident on it because there has been no evidence ever of a reprint from its initial mid 86 release.  If we could get those date codes id be more than happy to eat my words.  Anyone want to lose thousands of dollars for a minor piece of evidence?  It could just be a one of a kind.

EDIT.  I guess theres no way one can get any pics from the 3 screw DK Maths from NA?  I can't recall if it was a PM or on the boards.  I know I had him message me about 3 screw Stinger so I could be confusing which one was sent as a PM and which one was uploaded to the board.  Who wants to do research on NES Gansta?

Edited by guitarzombie

37 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I dunno, I don't feel confident on it because there has been no evidence ever of a reprint from its initial mid 86 release.  If we could get those date codes id be more than happy to eat my words.  Anyone want to lose thousands of dollars for a minor piece of evidence?  

I mean, I’m telling you there’s hard evidence and I’m sure wata would corroborate what I told you.   What more do you need?

There are several different variations of dk math boxes tied to production date.   If we are thinking they were only made at one point in time, that isn’t  right.   I guess it’s possible the chips were made all at once, but the boxes definitely changed over time. 

If what you’re telling me is that the chips all say mid 86 to me that implies they made the chips all at once and then created boxes every time they sent out a shipment.  In other words, initial store orders weren’t enough to exhaust the chip supply on a single shipment.   Not hard to imagine since orders were low.

at the end of the day, to me me the real production date is not when the chips are made but when the game and paperwork are assembled.   If there are chips sitting around in a bin but no boxes to put them into, the product is not completely finished yet

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I mean, I’m telling you there’s hard evidence and I’m sure wata would corroborate what I told you.   What more do you need?

There are several different variations of dk math boxes tied to production date.   If we are thinking they were only made at one point in time, that isn’t  right.   I guess it’s possible the chips were made all at once, but the boxes definitely changed over time. 

Im not saying it doesnt exist, im saying that it could just be a one off, or just like the others some kind of refurb because if it has been reprinted, there would be way more.  The other rare variants all have multiple copies all with corroborating date codes printed.  The only thing I could believe is that they DID have extra chips and boards and put them out again in late 87 and use whatever parts they had available.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bronty said:

at the end of the day, to me me the real production date is not when the chips are made but when the game and paperwork are assembled.   If there are chips sitting around in a bin but no boxes to put them into, the product is not completely finished yet

That's possible but I can only imagine this would only be for low print Nintendo releases.  I would imagine every third party publisher would print as much as they felt they could sell and reprint if needed.  If this IS the case, it would be extremely hard to figure out which games could be refurbs or legit releases.  I like to think of games that were 'legit' releases because it makes it easier to track, then have oddball 'one offs', which I would include this in that group.  Just my two cents.

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Why would they have sealed it as a sticker seal though?   They didn’t even have the tooling and molds to make 3 screw carts that early when sticker seals were still being used?  Figured they woulda shrink wrapped it.   Very odd 

That is actually a very cool copy of Jr math...   

6 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Updated.

I like the asterisks.  I feel those are very important to distinguish something that exists and something that could be a one off.  I dunno why the asterisk for Stadium Events.  Its such a rare game go begin with having so little 5 screw games make sense.  Plus its right in the middle of the 3 screw transition period.  I forgot what the first 3 screw game was.

5 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I like the asterisks.  I feel those are very important to distinguish something that exists and something that could be a one off.  I dunno why the asterisk for Stadium Events.  Its such a rare game go begin with having so little 5 screw games make sense.  Plus its right in the middle of the 3 screw transition period.  I forgot what the first 3 screw game was.

The only reason is because I just find it suspect that all three were found in such a short period. I think it’s safe to call them legit, but I just want *one more* to put the final nail in the coffin.

4 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

The only reason is because I just find it suspect that all three were found in such a short period. I think it’s safe to call them legit, but I just want *one more* to put the final nail in the coffin.

About DK Math, I think what Bronty and I are thinking might be more likely.  But the only way to tell is from the box and that I dont know anything about.  I'd say if you find more of those unusual DK Math boxes, i'd jump on board.

12 minutes ago, jxmx3 said:

So this DOES include the " "Ultra/Konami 5-screw fun variants" ? Because you have a bunch listed on there. Bayou Billy, Super C, Top Gun 2, TMNT 1 & 2  etc .. Maybe they should be a different color?

Yeah I need to separate them since I don’t think they’re in the same category. It’s also missing a few of the newly discovered ones.

I just need to locate the old NA Thread to get the full list.

• Like 1

Bump....updated to v1.2

Let me know if you guys like the new formatting.

I wanted to separate first party from third party.

ALSO: I've added Konami Fun Variants.

Edit: Okay, I REALLY jumped the gun posting that list. I’m gonna be up all night editing it now 😞 

Edited by ThePhleo

5 hours ago, Frost said:

Ty for this list. I saw you labeled both Ring King as and Karate Kid as unlikely hangtabs but those two do exist.  Im sure Bronty or some of the older folk have the proof. 

To my knowledge there are only three Ring King box variants.

No REV-A with No Yellow Stripe

No REV-A with Yellow Stripe

REV-A with Yellow Stripe

I'll look into Karate Kid a little more, but I'm almost positive that a 5-screw cartridge doesn't exist, let alone a hangtab box.

Untitled-1.jpg