IGNORED

Need help on a Genesis X-men seal

MrWunderful

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you asked, I have this one watched and I’ve gone back and forth. I THINK it’s fake, as all the X Men I’ve seen have a vertical strip on the back. Check out the one on HA this week as an example. 

I’m trying to see any indications this might be a later release from the one on HA, but they look identical on the back, I think? The seamwork also looks off to me on the one on Ebay. Just something about the look of it compared to others I’ve seen. I’d say I’m 75%, but could also be wrong. It’s scared me off enough not to bid, but I’m not positive.

I might actually have another at home, I’ll check it out and respond later, if so.

Edited by ExplodedHamster

3 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

Funny you asked, I have this one watched and I’ve gone back and forth. I THINK it’s fake, as all the X Men I’ve seen have a vertical strip on the back. Check out the one on HA this week as an example. 

I’m trying to see any indications this might be a later release from the one on HA, but they look identical on the back, I think? The seamwork also looks off to me on the one on Ebay. Just something about the look of it compared to others I’ve seen. I’d say I’m 75%, but could also be wrong. It’s scared me off enough not to bid, but I’m not positive.

I might actually have another at home, I’ll check it out and respond later, if so.

Yeah let me know.  I had an affirmation from someone else who does a ton of sealed collecting so I am curious to see your take.

It’s not at all uncommon to see the same game with different seamwork, but usually it’s during a different release period and there is something discernibly different on the back of the box. For example Sonic 2 Tube Seam was not assembled in the USA and RTB seam was. I’ll check the 3 copies and compare. 

1 minute ago, ExplodedHamster said:

It’s not at all uncommon to see the same game with different seamwork, but usually it’s during a different release period and there is something discernibly different on the back of the box. For example Sonic 2 Tube Seam was not assembled in the USA and RTB seam was. I’ll check the 3 copies and compare. 

Maybe its Just Thats how they are, but Sealed genesis cello always felt harder to me.  Its not a flexible type of cello like NES.

8 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Maybe its Just Thats how they are, but Sealed genesis cello always felt harder to me.  Its not a flexible type of cello like NES.

The older games are, yes. Why they are so damned hard to find with mint cello. Then the “newer” used a more “flexible” plastic. 

Looking at the Ebay copy again, pics 4 and 5...the squiggles on the seams on the corners concern me. Looks less like a factory seal, which is straighter, and more like a...hand...job? I’ve contrasted with a few other RTB-seam games and it seems abnormal.

Edited by ExplodedHamster

13 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

The older games are, yes. Why they are so damned hard to find with mint cello. Then the “newer” used a more “flexible” plastic. 

Looking at the Ebay copy again, pics 4 and 5...the squiggles on the seams on the corners concern me. Looks less like a factory seal, which is straighter, and more like a...hand...job? I’ve contrasted with a few other RTB-seam games and it seems abnormal.

I threw a disclaimer in there, I wish I would have done it  before the bids but if anybody wants to cancel because they dont have confidence in it, I would be happy to!I will Cut any VGS'er that buys it a deal too 😉

5 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I threw a disclaimer in there, I wish I would have done it  before the bids but if anybody wants to cancel because they dont have confidence in it, I would be happy to!I will Cut any NA'er that buys it a deal too 😉

What about a VGSer, do they get discounts too? 😉

For the record I think that X-Men looks legit but I'm just a casual Genesis collector.  I wouldn't bet the house on it or anything.

I’ve taken a look at other RTB seam games and this one is actually pretty consistent seamwork, just with the hangtab sticking out. But I looked at some past sales of the poster offer variant and I’ve only seen the back V overlap. 

Quite possible this is just a later release of the game, though.

• 1 month later...