IGNORED

Double Dragon - Which is the best one and why?

m308gunner

I’m guessing you have an NES?  I like both 1 and 2.  If you want to play co op then you must play 2.  If not either is fine in my opinion.

from what I can remember of 1 the wall that beats the crap out of you is aggravating.  Well, it was to me anyway.

Almost every system from that timeframe has a DD on it.  If you’re looking for an excuse to dive into another system that’s a really good entry point.

I just beat the newer one you could download on the switch. I forget which number in the series it is but it only cost like 10 bucks. If I had to pick my favorite it would be DD2... I really love the first DD as well though. When you get to the final stage and that music hits its pretty awesome. DD3 I found the levels to be very repetitive. Then you get towards the end it doesn't really flow together. 

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

The worst bug is the one that triggers a reset to the title screen. Especially annoying when it happens during a contest and you're doing well.

(Skip to near the end to see the reset glitch.)

Oh my god, yes, that one is brutal. I never spoiled any contest run on it, because of the path I usually take in this part of the stage (be it for high or low score), but I know for sure I stumbled on this while casually playing in the past. Ever ruined a good contest run because of this Michael?

On 11/16/2019 at 9:06 PM, Strikezone1 said:

It’s definitely Double Dragon V, no question.... jk 😜

I’m partial to Double Dragon III. It has one of the best OSTs in the NES library IMO, the cyclone kick felt a bit more fluent to execute, and the addition of Chin & Ranzou was a nice touch. 

I agree. The OST is top-notch, and I like this one the most because of the two extra characters. I can't remember if I beat it or not, though. I know I got to the end. I remember watching that old a-hole turn to dust.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 7:48 PM, mbd39 said:

The worst bug is the one that triggers a reset to the title screen. Especially annoying when it happens during a contest and you're doing well.

(Skip to near the end to see the reset glitch.)

I wonder if that's specific to a certain run of carts. As much as I've played it, I've never had that happen.

DD3 for the NES is not the boogeyman it's made out to be it's just that people haven't taken the time to figure out the gameplay mechanics. For example right off the bat i can tell you that both the cyclone and regular jumpkick can neutralize every single enemy. The regular kick also stuns atleast 95% of them, perhaps all of them i can't remember with certainty. It's the punching as the initiating attack that's kinda obsolete but that too works on everyone except the bosses.

25 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It's happened to me on both cart and emulator. You were just lucky if it didn't happen to you.

I guess if the ROM was from the same run of carts, maybe that would explain it. I'm sure I've played the game hundreds of times and it's weird that it hasn't ever happened to me or arch. Maybe I'm just not doing whatever triggers the glitch. It's certainly interesting.

24 minutes ago, AstralSoul13 said:

Are we counting Battletoads & Double Dragon as an entry? If so that gets my vote - the SNES version though both are good.

If that counts I wanna switch my vote to that, but the Genesis version. It’s literally in my console right now.

Edited by MachineCode
  • Like 1

Recently finished all 3... and really, I don't think any of them are particularly good. I found 3 to be the most difficult, for sure. I have the best memory of 2 though. A buddy and I were playing co-op and we were each a hit away from death and I super knee'd the boss for the final hit and it did the cool black and white freeze frame. We jumped around and high fived for a while after that. Good times.