IGNORED

A signed SMB by Miyamoto is was eBay - Ended at $8,927.77!

RH

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385569989224?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=hwRlEUsbRay&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Zf45riesQ_2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Title says it all.  I started following it because I had a saved search for him. I considered bidding on it when it was early and we’ll under $1,000, but this is way too rich for my blood.

It does make me wonder what the record is for a signature (from anyone) who was still alive.  I know signatures can go for a lot of money, but for an alive guy, that’s quite high.

Edited by RH
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to A signed SMB by Miyamoto is was eBay - Ended at $8,927.77!

Well, I really am floored.  Of course we all know that game collecting has managed to get nuts, but again, I can't believe that a signed, common item by a guy that's still living has went for this much money.

I am curious what you guys think about this sell specifically.  Also, show of your signed Miyamoto items! Congrats, you can now buy a small, modest used car with it if you choose to sell.

2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

That Beckett letter looks Microsoft Word as fuck lol

Lol, yeah, I think the Becket certification was a bit much. I mean, I know that people want to "verify" that signatures are legit but how, really, can one truly verify a signature?!  Mr. Miyamoto's is pretty unique but that doesn't mean someone couldn't practice it 1,000x and then do a decent forgery.

Regardless, I didn't seriously question the Becket letter.  I assume that is authentic (lol, even if it was made in word) because I assume that if they are going to put a certification number on something, they'd at least have a way for you to check the cert in a database and, hopefully, have photos of the item for people to compare.  Otherwise, what is the point of the cert if that too can be forged.

I am out of my realm hear, though.  I don't collect signatures.  Miyamoto is probably one of 2-3 I think I'd actively want to try and collect.  I have a Tony Hawk, signed lobby card from a hotel I found in a copy of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.  I think that's the only signature I own.

2 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

I know nothing about signatures, but hot damn.  8k!? For real!?! Like, why?  I could give 2 fugs about this dude and signatures in general, so it seems absurd to me.

What has similar auctions in the last go for?

I've had a saved search on Miyamoto signed stuff because, again, his signature is the only one I'm interested in, at all.  It's unique AND he's basically the father of modern video games.

However, in the past couple of years that I've been watching, some items have come up but just BIN stuff.  That's been in the thousands, but IIRC, one of them was already something like a rare Zelda controller for the N64, or something like an item won in a competition.  I don't track it and I don't remember.

I've been waiting for something simpler like this and a signed SMB is about as good as it gets--cheap and easy to find, but iconic to his work.  But no.  This is not at all what I was expecting as an end result.

I really am curious if we have any signature collectors out there. I have no clue how this stacks up to other big names in other collectible fields.  I mean, sure.  Something signed by Babe Ruth is going to fetch a pretty penny.  That's expected.  He's The Grate Bambino, he's dead and his signatures are in limited supply.   But Miyamoto... well this is just one meet-and-greet away from being an item for all of us.

Poor guy... with a sale like this, he's going to be hounded for a bunch more autographs when he does make the rare convention appearance.

17 minutes ago, RH said:

Poor guy... with a sale like this, he's going to be hounded for a bunch more autographs when he does make the rare convention appearance

I can’t even imagine.  

what is the process of authenticating a signature? I’m assuming the authentication brought a significant premium, right? 

4 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

I can’t even imagine.  

what is the process of authenticating a signature? I’m assuming the authentication brought a significant premium, right? 

Dunno.  This is half the reason why I keep bumping this.  Certainly someone around here collects signatures.

I don't see this repeating unless gamer/profiteers are seriously just that stupid.  All you ever see about autograph rating and qualifying, and then the valuation of them have a real kind of set pattern.

If you're alive, it's worth far less than the dead.
If you're alive and openly handing out paid/free signatures, it's even much more worthless.
If you're alive but don't sign but rarely or ever outside legal documents, that adds value due to low population.

Death gives the biggest prices, the sharks for blood who sell while the body is still warm get most.
Death may only give a bump, in most cases it falls off hard, though some of the living reasons could bump it up, IF the person stays popular in culture/historical significance.

Miyamoto is an authograph giver, you can get it pretty easy at trade shows and other spaces.  I can not figure why that went into the thousands let alone got weirdly close to five figures at that.  A few years ago you could find signed Gameboy Advances, Mario carts, etc and they didn't get but a fraction.  So why is this a thing here and now?

A few stupid people making really poor choices.  Maybe Miyamoto dies before the year ends, and he (new owner) quickly turns it to the sharks at Heritage or ebay before anyone else can end one first and get his money back... maybe?