IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ice Hockey

BeaIank

5 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Yeah. Going in knowing your best isn’t going to cut it, can be frustrating. I did know going into this week that there would be some record breaking scores. I’m really only playing for now because it gives me a little something different to do while I’m not working. I don’t expect to win anything in this contest anymore😂

At some point it’ll only be a couple ringers playing regularly. 

My 80 score would have won any of the previous Ice Hockey contests by at least 5 goals, but those darn Canadian ringers had to show up this week. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I actually did it, so I'm pulling for you. I coughed the puck up with about 15 seconds on the clock and luckily I blocked the shot or I would have been really irate if I scored 81 goals and ended up with a final score of 79.

Well fuck!

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Seeing the 80+ scores took the wind out of my sail. Havent played again today and likely wont. It felt like a near perfect game would get me 75-0. Knowing that even that wont make a podium, my efforts will be better served elsewhere. Was fun pouring in goals though 

I finally broke the 80 goal mark so you should give it another shot. Then again, my left thumb is also swollen and feels like I stuck it in a beehive from playing this all day, so there is a downside.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I finally broke the 80 goal mark so you should give it another shot. Then again, my left thumb is also swollen and feels like I stuck it in a beehive from playing this all day, so there is a downside.

I honestly don't know how you guys can play with the fat guys and medium guys; they are sooooooo fucking slow and cumbersome.  Skinny guys can score every eight game seconds, meaning a perfect game would be like 150 goals with our settings for this contest; how long does it take for one of those fat-asses to mosey on over to the net?

Skinny guys 4 life!!!! 🥳

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I honestly don't know how you guys can play with the fat guys and medium guys; they are sooooooo fucking slow and cumbersome.  Skinny guys can score every eight game seconds, meaning a perfect game would be like 150 goals with our settings for this contest; how long does it take for one of those fat-asses to mosey on over to the net?

Skinny guys 4 life!!!! 🥳

It takes about the same amount of time to score a goal since the big guys can shoot it from more of a distance. 

1 hour ago, PII said:

"I went to a Canadian fight once... and a Hockey game broke out."

But seriously, how about a "Blades Of Steel" competition to see how many fights you can win ! ? ! ! ? !

Where's your score?  I don't think you have to wait until the last minute for some crazy reveal because most/all of us here are pretty burnt out on doing the same thing over and over every few seconds and have moved on to other things... 😛

57 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Skinny guys 4 life!!!! 🥳

Man! I thought about that after figuring out how to score consistently with the skinny guy when Im in a pinch. Never did try it. I cant believe I didnt give it a go a time or 2

19 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Lol damn you pizza piiiiieeeeeee!!!

If you wanna feel a  little  better, take a moment to imagine how you'd feel if this were a racing game and the difference was 1/100th of a second..

..I just gotta secure that highly coveted additional point that comes with 5th place..

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, PII said:

If you wanna feel a  little  better, take a moment to imagine how you'd feel if this were a racing game and the difference was 1/100th of a second..

..I just gotta secure that highly coveted additional point that comes with 5th place..

My son wanted me to play wave race one night last week, a brilliant strategy to get me to let him stay up late that worked hook line and sinker. We won overall on expert, but did lose one race by 1/100th of a second. Tried like crazy to explain how crazy that is to a 4 year old who doesn't understand fractions or numbers beyond 20. Failed, so I am glad someone understands the craziness of that moment

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

My son wanted me to play wave race one night last week, a brilliant strategy to get me to let him stay up late that worked hook line and sinker. We won overall on expert, but did lose one race by 1/100th of a second. Tried like crazy to explain how crazy that is to a 4 year old who doesn't understand fractions or numbers beyond 20. Failed, so I am glad someone understands the craziness of that moment

Gosh, if only it had been that simple: "Hey Dad!  Let's Race!!"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Richardhead said:

I was up 60-0 going into the third….. I’m Definitely burnt out too. I’m gonna give it another go or two before it’s done. I really want to hit 80.

I honestly thought you were going to get it. 75 is still an awesome score and I doubt that I would have hit 80 without you pushing me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Looks like the only guy to go with all skinny's ended up winning...  Hmmmm...  🤔

Dude, that's an incredible win going opposite of all the expert strategy. And if had to be incredibly difficult to execute, taking out the fat guys abilities to just knock down opposing players. Really nicely done

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Dude, that's an incredible win going opposite of all the expert strategy. And if had to be incredibly difficult to execute, taking out the fat guys abilities to just knock down opposing players. Really nicely done

Scoring 94 goals is crazy enough, but using a completely outside of the box strategy makes it even more impressive.

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

To me, the point of fat guys is to crush the enemy to get the puck back if and when you lose it, but rather than using an "if I fail to score" strategy, I went with a "plan to never fail" strategy.  And just in terms of scoring quickly, skinny guys have the advantage.  Honestly, if there's a TAS of Ice Hockey out on the internet somewhere, I guarantee you it will be skinny guys doing the scoring.  And if I did lose the puck, I would try to intercept the long pass with my quick skinny guys by getting in between the opposing teammates.  It worked most of the time, but man it was frustrating when it didn't...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

To me, the point of fat guys is to crush the enemy to get the puck back if and when you lose it, but rather than using an "if I fail to score" strategy, I went with a "plan to never fail" strategy.  And just in terms of scoring quickly, skinny guys have the advantage.  Honestly, if there's a TAS of Ice Hockey out on the internet somewhere, I guarantee you it will be skinny guys doing the scoring.  And if I did lose the puck, I would try to intercept the long pass with my quick skinny guys by getting in between the opposing teammates.  It worked most of the time, but man if was frustrating when it didn't...

I tried to balance my lineup by putting a medium guy on the back end for defense and still have some solid shooting ability, but it just wasn't enough. You definitely deserved the win this week.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried to balance my lineup by putting a medium guy on the back end for defense and still have some solid shooting ability, but it just wasn't enough. You definitely deserved the win this week.

Yeah, the issue with skinny guys is they can't be touched by anybody, so if you noticed, the opposition has two different formations on each face off: high and low; now, if they positioned high, I would win the face off back to the low guy behind me, whereas if they positioned low, I would win the face off to the high guy behind me; that way I *almost* always had very little in the way as my skinny guy cruised into the slot for the score...

• Wow! 1