IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ice Hockey

BeaIank

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Man, seeing all these pictures I was like, "how on earth are these guys getting scored on?!?"  Then it turns out I'm incapable of getting a shutout myself...

I won 71-0 back when we played this in 2015, but it seems like the better option just to let the computer team score if they get the puck. Trying to get it back just takes too long unless you are able to knock it loose before they cross the center line with it.

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Added a score to my first post. I've only gotten to play twice so far, not a lot of time with my move impending. 

Edit: played again and slayed it. Canadian hockey FTW! 

What was your first score? It looks like my Sunday just opened up because there's no way I'm scoring 87 goals.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I immediately coughed up the puck and blew a minute and a half off the clock

I figured I'd try a few more times this morning and I had the same thing happen. I don't know if it's from playing on the lowest speed or what, but the computer team seems borderline inept at scoring even if you try to let them. They either just pass the puck around for no reason or take awful shots that miss the goal completely which wastes all kinds of time. The computer defense also seems to have a Rad Racer all or nothing style to it. It's like they either just stand there and let you take free shots at the goal or they swarm you all at once and instantly take the puck away or start a fight that runs about 20 seconds off the clock.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

Added a score to my first post. I've only gotten to play twice so far, not a lot of time with my move impending. 

Edit: played again and slayed it. Canadian hockey FTW! 

Scoring an average of 29 goals a period is insane. I got 30 in a period once in however many times that I've played this week and that was without missing a single shot. For some reason the second period throws me off having to go right to left and I typically score in the low 20s which hurts my final score.

Administrator · Posted
22 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Scoring an average of 29 goals a period is insane. I got 30 in a period once in however many times that I've played this week and that was without missing a single shot. For some reason the second period throws me off having to go right to left and I typically score in the low 20s which hurts my final score.

I didn't pay much attention so I don't remember my period 1 score, but it was really high. I went into period 3 basically guaranteed a top score, then had a rough round 3 but still managed to pull it off cuz of how ahead I was. 

You can get a score every 10 "seconds" or so, and the game was especially kind in round 1.

As for my pre-edit score, it was 65 I think. I can double check, just woke up. 

Edit: it was 62.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

How come your post doesn’t have the “edited xx hours ago” thing on it? 

Dunno. Maybe cuz I'm an admin, it doesn't show when I edit things? 

Edit: added a screenshot, it shows for me. 

Screenshot_2023-05-07-11-02-13-570.jpg

10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Dunno. Maybe cuz I'm an admin, it doesn't show when I edit things? 

Edit: added a screenshot, it shows for me. 

Screenshot_2023-05-07-11-02-13-570.jpg

Ha yes. Only staff can see this message. It’s not a big deal. Just wanted to see if you were up all night playing ice hockey😂

IMG_4913.png

Edited by Richardhead

12 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I didn't pay much attention so I don't remember my period 1 score, but it was really high. I went into period 3 basically guaranteed a top score, then had a rough round 3 but still managed to pull it off cuz of how ahead I was. 

You can get a score every 10 "seconds" or so, and the game was especially kind in round 1.

As for my pre-edit score, it was 65 I think. I can double check, just woke up. 

Edit: it was 62.

I'm playing right now and was on pace for a score in the mid 80s, but I gave up two goals in the second period so its going to take a great third period to even hit 80.

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Ha yes. Only staff can see this message. It’s not a big deal. Just wanted to see if you were up all night playing ice hockey😂

IMG_4913.png

I'm almost hesitant to say, but I've only played 3 games all week. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm playing right now and was on pace for a score in the mid 80s, but I gave up two goals in the second period so its going to take a great third period to even hit 80.

There must be something about my approach that makes it very consistent compared to your or something, cuz hitting 80+ felt like an inevitability to me. 

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

There must be something about my approach that makes it very consistent compared to your or something, cuz hitting 80+ felt like an inevitability to me. 

I seem to always have less luck in the second period. I ended up beating my own score by 1, but I gave up another late goal that tanked my shot at hitting the 80 mark.

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Averaging 4 points a minute is what I’ve been shooting for. Just haven’t been able to execute it. Gonna put some more time in I suppose. 

Administrator · Posted

I will say the game was very kind to me. Every time USA got the puck or we got in a brawl, I was able to turn it around pretty quickly so as to not waste too much time. I was hoping to hit 90+, but like I say the 3rd period it got much harder.

3 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Eh. I’ve been average at best my whole life at just aboot everything I do. You get used to it 😂

@docile tapeworm doesn’t call him Ti83 for nothing ya know.

He "only" scored 72 back in 2017 and that was good enough to win. I got a new personal best and I'll be lucky to finish second.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

He "only" scored 72 back in 2017 and that was good enough to win. I got a new personal best and I'll be lucky to finish second.

Well… you don’t get second or third with 72.

First, I’m going to beat you. Second, The Doctor has only played once. Third, Pee hasn’t posted a score yet. 
That leaves us battling for 4th. Good luck sucka!

26 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@Dr. Morbis has 63, so we might be fighting it out for fifth! 

I scored 33 goals in the first period this morning, but I fall apart in the second period going right to left, then the third period I lost the puck a bunch of times.  Honestly, I think a perfect game for me would break 100, but knowing what to do and executing are two entirely different kettles of fish.  I'm going to try a couple of more times today...