IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Ice Hockey

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, this week of SPORTS we go FULL CANADIAN!

It is time for Ice Hockey!

Here are the rules for our players to go sporting hard!!!

• 1 player only
  • Choose Canada as your team USA and as the CPU team
  • Play on Speed 1, Time 7
  • Choose whichever size players you want
  • Play a whole game and at the end, take a picture of the score
  • Your score will be the differential between your score and the computer’s score
  • In the event of a tie, whoever has scored more goals breaks the tie (ex. Two people tie with 5.  One person has scored 10 goals, while the other one has scored 15 goals.  The 15 goal scorer takes precedence).
  • Greatest differential between goals for (goals you scored) and goals against (goals you allowed) wins.  A positive score takes preference over a negative score (ex. A differential of 10 takes precedence over a score of -20.  Purposely losing to the computer by 20 goals does not give you a better differential than a person who beats the computer by 10 goals.  Positive scores take precedence over negative scores regardless of differential).
  • Ex: Canada 10 USA 5 = score of 5
  • Ex: Canada 5 USA 10 = score of -5
  • Participation: Play an entire game
  • GENRE: Sports

The contest ends Sunday, 05/07/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Love 1

Score Edit - First attempt: 63

Score Edit #2 - Getting better: 80

Score Edit #3 - I was so sure of my abilities to surpass 100, that I decided to record a video of it.  Well, it turns out I suck under pressure, because I was up 72-1 going into the third period  and I completely shit the bed and barely got into the 90's.  The thing is, I didn't think to take a picture since I was assuming I'd be uploading a video after breaking 100, and now I'm done with the game both mentally and time-wise, so I've taken a screen cap of the end of the game in the video.  I could upload the two gigabyte files to youtube if I really had to prove it, but that would take many hours and be a waste of my efforts, so I'm hoping that this picture will suffice... (if you highlight the picture you can faintly see the Bowser below the middle of the screen that is in all my other pics 🙂)

IH-3.png

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Wow! 4

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That might take the win this week unless there are some Ice Hockey ringers around here. Great score!

Doubt 56 would win the week. I finally broke the 70 mark. Probably the best I’ve got for the week. I just can’t stop those pesky Yanks from scoring once or twice.

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

Doubt 56 would win the week. I finally broke the 70 mark. Probably the best I’ve got for the week. I just can’t stop those pesky Yanks from scoring once or twice.

That might do it. When I had 71 back in 2015, I won 71-0. You probably would have scored over 75 if you got the shutout.

32 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I got 10 points when we played this last time.

Curious how people are breaking this one. I can put up stupid numbers like that on blades of steel, but the games are a lot longer. Seems like youd have to win every face-off and immediately go score without fail for the whole game. Once the other team gets the puck, I cant get it back fast enough and the clock runs and runs

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Curious how people are breaking this one. I can put up stupid numbers like that on blades of steel, but the games are a lot longer. Seems like youd have to win every face-off and immediately go score without fail for the whole game. Once the other team gets the puck, I cant get it back fast enough and the clock runs and runs

Light guy as the faceoff dude, all fats the rest. Light guy will win the faceoff every time, passes to a fatty who goes straight to the net and shoots, basically never misses from certain angles. Few seconds per goal.

Here's a demo from some random youtube person:

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Once the other team gets the puck, I cant get it back fast enough and the clock runs and runs

I use a medium guy on the back end just in case the computer team gets the puck. He's quick enough to chase it down, get it back and pass it to one of the big guys for an easy shot.

48 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Light guy as the faceoff dude, all fats the rest. Light guy will win the faceoff every time, passes to a fatty who goes straight to the net and shoots, basically never misses from certain angles. Few seconds per goal.

Here's a demo from some random youtube person:

That guy looks like he's playing on the fastest speed, which makes it even easier IMO. I'd guess a score in the low 80s is the best possible playing on Speed 1 with 7 minute periods.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That guy looks like he's playing on the fastest speed, which makes it even easier IMO. I'd guess a score in the low 80s is the best possible playing on Speed 1 with 7 minute periods.

Yeah speed makes it easier 100%, but the strat remains the same.

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I'm just here for the Team Canada appreciation.

Always loved being able to choose "Canada" on this game. But it's hilarious that their colours are green.

As in... always pissed us off but we chose Canada anyways. 

The game was ahead of it's time, this was 2010:

D4Y23UAWEBEIZIQYZLDH47CYGQ

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2