IGNORED

MegaMan Battle Network fan club (major staple series for me in the 2000s) - Are you a bad enough dude to catch all the Battle Chips?

Estil

So today marks two weeks after the release of MegaMan Battle Network Legacy Collection.  I've so far finished the first two games in terms of completing the main story (yellow star) and so far they've done an amazing job and I hope we see a third installment and/or DLC for Network Transmission, Battle Chip Challenge and those JP only ones.

As I already mentioned in the previous new releases topic, this series was a major staple of my gaming career back in the early-mid 2000s (I was in my early-mid 20s at the time).  I actually remember where I got some of these games...the first game from my grandma for Christmas (on request), the third games I picked up at EB Games (or GameStop?) when I saw them for half price, the fourth games in between a split shift at work at the time (no fun), the fifth games my wife got me (kinda) for my birthday.  I remember going to the local GameStop to get them when they told me the GBA versions were pulled from all the stores and only offered the DS version...so I had to get them from Capcom's website.  They must've thought I was nuts to pay $20 extra to get the GBA versions but then and now, I always prefer playing these kind of games on TV via the Game Boy Player.

Remember how prior to 2013 I had this weird phobia/aversion towards turn based RPGs and thus ended up missing out on the great JRPG series like Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy/Tales Of?  Well I knew all along that Battle Network was the MegaMan version of Pokemon and I liked the way Battle Network does it a lot better.

So for those of you who are new to the series and getting your first experience via the Collection, I offer these tips:

Above all else...if you only do one of these tips: Be sure you print out checklists of all the Blue/Purple Mystery Datas (the "treasure chests" in this game), HP Memories, RegUps, NaviCust parts, and so on.  This is especially critical for the fourth game.  Speaking of which, you want to make VERY sure that you got ALL the BMDs/PMDs and all the V1 chips/program advances before completing the main story and moving on to Level 2...the same is true for going on to Level 3 (get all BMDs/PMDs and V2 chips/PAs).  And YES you must get the WWW ID and the C-Slider for each level.

Have the Collect NaviCust part as soon as you get it!  This will give you a chip after every battle and this is essential to completing your library/PAs.  Unfortunately, you don't get it till near the end of BN3 and in BN4 and BN6 costs precious bugfrags (42 and 62 respectively).  BN5's luckily doesn't cost precious bugfrags and you get it in End Area 1.  So in BN4/BN6's case, don't touch any of the bugfrags until you can buy the Collect NaviCust part (hopefully in BN4 you'll have enough bugfrags before Level 1's Meteor levels as some of the chips there can be quite hard without Collect).

I hope everyone still has their BradyGames guides because they've now gotten quite expensive on Ebay!  Unfortunately the first two games never got guides so be sure you got maps handy for them!  Especially the jumbled up confusing mess that is the first game's main Internet areas!

You know those V2/EX level Navis you find in the dead ends that cause the V3/SP versions to appear as random encounters?  Don't don't DON'T even touch these until the very end!!  Especially important for the fourth game.

As Bulletproof from COPS would say, alcohol, cigarettes, and Dark Chips are DRUGS.  Say NO.  Seriously, one of the main objectives is to get the full 1000 HP and you can't very well do that if you use even one!  Plus, after 500 battles without using a Dark Chip you'll become Bright/St. MegaMan and can go into Full Synchro easier.

For the 5th game's Liberation Missions, you must have a dual letter code folder (D+S+* codes, and Guardian O) with armor piercing chips like Drills, AirHocs, Guardian and especially the Django chips (regular and SP).  Otherwise you'll have no chance in the fights with Dominerds and other armored enemies in the later Liberation Missions.

Don't touch the chip traders until at minimum you've finished the main story.  Because (I THINK) there is a set probability for getting a chip not in your library so it makes sense to have as much of your library already done first.  For the second game, each of the yellow ten chip traders have a specific unique offer...Only Marine Harbor's trader has five star rarity chips...but ZERO Navi chips.  Netopia's trader is the only place you can get * coded Navi chips (V1/V2 only though), and only the AC/DC (no not the band) Metroline's trader offers V3 Navi chips.  For the 4th game onward, only use the one that opens up after finishing the main story.

Always have Unlockers handy...especially in the 4th game.

As for the anime, please do yourself a favor and settle for no less than the original Japanese subbed episodes.  Not the heavily edited/censored/weird name changes (even skipped episodes!) NT Warrior crap. 😛

In Battle Network 3 there is a BBS Side Quest named "Legendary Tomes" where you find three Tomes (Sea/Land/Sky)...once you do though DON'T DON'T DON'T!!!  turn them in to the Grim Reaper guy at Hades just yet!!  There is a super secret bonus surprise if you check the little statue thingie at AC/DC Elementary's Teachers Lounge with all three of the Tomes in hand (and this is your one and only chance at claiming it) that the BradyGames guide doesn't even mention!

Edited by Estil
  • Like 2

Absolutely loved this series when it first came out. I started on battle network 3. Still have never played 1 or 2. I hear they’re pretty different but not as great though. Maybe one day I’ll play them but 3-6 were all excellent 

1 hour ago, Makar said:

Absolutely loved this series when it first came out. I started on battle network 3. Still have never played 1 or 2. I hear they’re pretty different but not as great though. Maybe one day I’ll play them but 3-6 were all excellent 

While we're on the subject of BN3, I did in fact just finish the first three as far as the main story mode goes (yellow star) but as all you Pokemanics know all too well, in order to really complete the game, you Gotta Catch 'Em All!  Battle chips and stars/badges on your title screens in this case.

Oh and just as a PSA, in BN3 there is a BBS Side Quest named "Legendary Tomes" where you find three Tomes (Sea/Land/Sky)...once you do though DON'T DON'T DON'T!!!  turn them in to the Grim Reaper guy at Hades just yet!!  There is a super secret bonus surprise if you check the little statue thingie at AC/DC Elementary's Teachers Lounge with all three of the Tomes in hand (and this is your one and only chance at claiming it) that the BradyGames guide doesn't even mention!

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Estil said:

While we're on the subject of BN3, I did in fact just finish the first three as far as the main story mode goes (yellow star) but as all you Pokemanics know all too well, in order to really complete the game, you Gotta Catch 'Em All!  Battle chips and stars/badges on your title screens in this case.

Oh and just as a PSA, in BN3 there is a BBS Side Quest named "Legendary Tomes" where you find three Tomes (Sea/Land/Sky)...once you do though DON'T DON'T DON'T!!!  turn them in to the Grim Reaper guy at Hades just yet!!  There is a super secret bonus surprise if you check the little statue thingie at AC/DC Elementary's Teachers Lounge with all three of the Tomes in hand (and this is your one and only chance at claiming it) that the BradyGames guide doesn't even mention!

Man you have me wanting to replay 3 now. I remember it was super hard to get some of the gigachips in these games to the point where I felt it was impossible to get some of them. Definitely never completed my chipdex in any of the games. Probably got close but I was always missing like 5 or more chips. 

2 hours ago, Makar said:

Man you have me wanting to replay 3 now. I remember it was super hard to get some of the gigachips in these games to the point where I felt it was impossible to get some of them. Definitely never completed my chipdex in any of the games. Probably got close but I was always missing like 5 or more chips. 

As Sonic would say, never give up!  Keep trying and you will win!  If you mean those time trials usually N1-Folder C as well as having FstGauge in your Navi Customizer (and Custom 1 or 2 parts if you got 'em) usually will do the trick.  Just need a lot of patience, persistence, perseverance and a lot of ATTITUDE!!

Are you a bad enough dude to catch all the battle chips and title screen stars/badges?

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to MegaMan Battle Network fan club (major staple series for me in the early-mid 2000s) - Battle Chips; Gotta Catch 'Em All!

The only one I played was Battle Network 5, and I really liked it! Though I had no idea the fusion system was in the game, and never once used it. 😅 I remember really liking certain chips, such as early on the Guardian chip was powerful, and I did a lot of grinding for Z sabers and Yo-Yos. Nebula Grey was a very fun final boss. 🙂

The Liberation Missions were great too! I looked forward to them each time. I was turned away from the other games when I found out they were only in the fifth one.

Maybe I played an early revision of the game, but I remember being shocked at how many script errors there were. so many typos!

4 hours ago, Makar said:

Lol I am not a bad enough dude to catch all the battle chips. Some of those V5 chips were stupid hard to get too. 

Use the Protoman chips for the regular enemies you face before the Navi and then BodyGuard (no not the 80s song) PA (AntiDmg M + AntiNavi M +Muramasa M) for the Navi proper.

Edited by Estil

Interestingly, the US releases came out annually; starting with the second game, in June of each year!  So naturally I sometimes liked to say "this year's" or "last year's".

So I've now completed the main story (yellow star) of the first three games (I only am doing Blue for the third game) and now I'm gonna start the fourth one (both versions).  Can you believe that not only must you make the C-Slider and Nebula-CD (opens skull doors) on EACH Level/playthrough but each one has only FOUR BMDs/PMDs behind them??  Considering how much trouble you must go through to get these at least SIX times you'd expect a little better!

I was kinda hoping there'd be a quality of life improvement where once you make the C-Slider and Nebula-CD it would carry over into subsequent levels but no such luck. 😞 

Edited by Estil

Am I overlooking something, because I can't figure out how I'm supposed to swap chips between the two versions of BN3-BN6.  Like if I want to exchange chips between my game's Red Sun version and Blue Version, how do I do that?

Please don't tell me they forgot to include this feature!  As Charlie Brown would say, AUGH!!!!

On 5/5/2023 at 1:53 PM, MrWunderful said:

Started battle network one on gba today. Lets see if I can put some time into it. 

How did you do against ElecMan?  That is your favorite MegaMan character is it not?  

22 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Havent got there yet. I got distracted with metroid prime remastered AND TotK comes out this weekend so we will see. 

That's okay, it doesn't take that long to get through the main story (14-15 hours-ish maybe?  That's of course if you're taking your time and getting and crossing off all the BMDs/PMDs, HP Memories and such as you get them).  Now the real object of the game (Gotta Catch 'Em All!), THAT of course is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Capcom, pleeeez, in the name of all that is holy, patch/update Legacy Collection so we can swap/trade chips between the two versions of BN3-BN6 like you originally could (well if you had a spare GBA of course).  Even better still (and yes I wondered why they didn't originally think of this) is if you could transfer some zenny and especially bugfrags from one version to another.

Edited by Estil

remember playing BN3 when I was a kid. The game seemed to have a lot of complicated stuff in it, and I'm not sure I would want to go back. Good that people are still into it though. I have to point out, however, that I have recently learned that people are putting up funny videos of absolutely absurd battle chip combos that you can use in these games, and demonstrating just how tremendously broken the games are (the comments claim that things didn't clean up until 6; Most of the vids I see are of the earlier games). Pretty funny to watch, since I recall having little semblance of sound strategy when I was playing them.

On 5/12/2023 at 10:31 AM, koifish said:

remember playing BN3 when I was a kid. The game seemed to have a lot of complicated stuff in it, and I'm not sure I would want to go back. Good that people are still into it though. I have to point out, however, that I have recently learned that people are putting up funny videos of absolutely absurd battle chip combos that you can use in these games, and demonstrating just how tremendously broken the games are (the comments claim that things didn't clean up until 6; Most of the vids I see are of the earlier games). Pretty funny to watch, since I recall having little semblance of sound strategy when I was playing them.

Yeah, those and the "renowned folders" can only be done with a cheat device granting you free access to all chips (though with the same folder rules; four of each standard chip, five mega chips (and only one of each) and one giga chip).  Obviously you can't really do that playing the actual game proper.

Another important tip; be sure to always use an Untrap subchip each time you go on the 'net (except main quest dungeon sorts of places as they don't have GMDs).  They're only 100z each and even on just one GMD it is more than worth it!

In other news in BN4 I'm now about to start Netopia/Airport in Level 2!  And what souls did I draw?  Well, you always get Guts/Aqua soul for the first one.  Then I got Wind/Search and Metal/Proto for Level 1, and for Level 2 I got Fire/Roll and Number/Junk leaving Thunder and Wood for the upcoming Level 3.  I'm a bit surprised I didn't get Roll Soul on the first level; I think that's the first time that's ever happened.  Still I did get my favorite human character (Tanako) and both of what the general consensus seems to say are the best souls (Proto/Search) so I guess three out of four ain't bad!  I don't really use them though.

Would I be crazy if I was to say that BN games (especially everyone's favorite the fourth one) and really JRPGs in general are a test of patience?  I mean you do have to put in at least 40-50 hours into each one so this is not for those into speed running or instant gratification!  After all, look at how silly one looks when they lose their patience!  I gotta make sure to keep cool like the rest of you guys!

Edited by Estil

• The title was changed to MegaMan Battle Network fan club (major staple series for me in the 2000s) - Are you a bad enough dude to catch all the Battle Chips?
  • 2 weeks later...

Oooh boy I'm now finally at the part in BN5 where you have to whap those 100 fast ninjas...not only is it REALLY hard but you gotta do it twice!  (EDIT: I did manage to do it for both versions but boy what a job it was!!)  Also does anyone here remember the best way to defeat Duo V3 in BN4?  Because I'd like very much to do a Level 4 so I can get more bugfrags/zenny...plus for whatever reason on one of the versions I still did not get the scenario where you get the FullCust * chip, and it's the only way you can get it.

How are the rest of you doing on Legacy Collection?

Edited by Estil

• 4 weeks later...

Yay!  I finally finished the main story mode for nine out of ten of the games!  I don't usually do BN3-White unless I just feel like giving BN3 another go without having to sacrifice all the hard work put into completing the star rainbow in BN3-Blue.  Unlike BN4-BN6 there's not hardly much difference in the BN3 versions.  Five different non-Navi Giga Chips, Mistman/Bowlman, and Ground/Ninja Style Changes/NaviCust parts.  And that's pretty much it.