IGNORED

Dyer's Collection-Asian Mega Drive/Sega Dreamcast & Other Random Stuff!

dyer

A few recent pick ups, Eternal Champions is one of my grails, it is a Scandinavian (Swedish) variant with different artwork and manuak from the standard PAL release, Ren & Stimpy is a "Sample" promotional cover:

spacer.png4

spacer.png

Nearly completed the Scandinavian subset!

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

• 3 weeks later...
I love anything out of the ordinary and especially a random variant of a standrad release the more obscure the better. Exhibit A, Sega Genesis re releaes with ESRB ratings. Just need After Burner II to complete this mini sub set!

IfSRhbl.jpg

cdWExnl.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few more Dreamcast bits and bobs:

RIVSuFn.jpg

A few NFS Trial discs. Chocolate Maid Cafe comes with the original distribution envelope with correspondance and some feebies! Shenmue II is the only PAL game in my collcetion, it is actually an Australian version, it's new and sealed and has had the classification sticker added, by all avccounts Oz only got a small batch of these distributed exclusively via EB games.

lZo04wT.jpg

Some "Sample" games, these were usually sent for promotional purposes or used in stores to show off upcoming games, they have an additional sticker and tesxt on the disc!

CT56Q9n.jpg

Edited by dyer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few more random bits and bobs.

Firstly 2 very odd Mega Drive Akklaim variants sourced from Italy. They have standard Japanese Boxes and Manuals, however it appears the Italian distributer "CD Verte" have added PAL style cart shells and new labels! Initially I thought they were bootlegs however the PCB boards in the carts are legit!

My theory is they were picked up on the cheap modified, labels added, distrubter stickers added and sold in Italy. Man some odd stuff happened with Akklaim games back in the day.

N9zlLyW.jpg

OALNYSB.jpg

4fTUmUO.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Now for some hardware, a CIB Asian Mega Drive II, this was a late run variant for certain parts of Asia and the Middle East, note the “Sega Mega Drive II” logo which was only used for a hand full of games (a few Asian examples pictured) but a load of hardware, I also like the way they used a Euro PAL box but Asian machine!

oYXxVDl.jpg

igJXs2R.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dyer said:
Now for some hardware, a CIB Asian Mega Drive II, this was a late run variant for certain parts of Asia and the Middle East, note the “Sega Mega Drive II” logo which was only used for a hand full of games (a few Asian examples pictured) but a load of hardware, I also like the way they used a Euro PAL box but Asian machine!

oYXxVDl.jpg

igJXs2R.jpg

How can you tell if it's legit hardware? I've seen tons of these in game stores in India that look exactly like this but I'm pretty sure are clones.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bowser said:

How can you tell if it's legit hardware? I've seen tons of these in game stores in India that look exactly like this but I'm pretty sure are clones.

Good queston! 

There were a lot of clones and bootlegs of this particular model, the clones:

• Usally have built in games and the console box has stickers or captions advertising so-This doesn't
  • Have screen shots of games on the reverse of the box which are usually very random and not genuine Sega games-These are the same as a the PAL system box
  • Don't usually have Sega branded parts and controllers -I have opened this and the main board is Sega branded, controllers are Sega branded as are the PCBs inside
  • Are  usually a system on a chip-All as it should be under the hood and the console is weightey (same as a standard MD II)

I have owned a few clones over the years and I am confident that this is the real deal.

• Like 2

@dyer Congratulations on Eliminate Down. I recently found one of those as well, we should set a badge for having that one, or start a VGS cool kids Sega club here for those who have it 😛

On a more serious note, I've actually been finding Sega MD to be so much more fun to collect than Famicom, despite not even having much nostalgia for the machine. Aside from less demand making the business so much less cutthroat, I love the weirdness of the machine.

There's so much weird legit stuff out there, where Sega would piece things together for other regions, and it just makes for a lot of fun, trying to discover what all there actually is out there.

Aside from the obvious Asian releases, what other Sega sets are you collecting? I remember you mentioning previously that bootlegs are totally out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leonemesis said:

Amazing collection, congrats mate!

The asian version of Shadowrun has box art and manual in english, right? As well as the game, correct? Do you know if that is the case for the japanese release?

Cheers man!

That's right it has an English manual as well as Chinese one, the game is in English and is NTSC coded, likely the US ROM. There was Japanese cart release of Shadowrun only a Mega-CD version.

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

@dyer Congratulations on Eliminate Down. I recently found one of those as well, we should set a badge for having that one, or start a VGS cool kids Sega club here for those who have it 😛

On a more serious note, I've actually been finding Sega MD to be so much more fun to collect than Famicom, despite not even having much nostalgia for the machine. Aside from less demand making the business so much less cutthroat, I love the weirdness of the machine.

There's so much weird legit stuff out there, where Sega would piece things together for other regions, and it just makes for a lot of fun, trying to discover what all there actually is out there.

Aside from the obvious Asian releases, what other Sega sets are you collecting? I remember you mentioning previously that bootlegs are totally out.

🤣 Let's start that club!

Glad you are enjoying the Mega Drive collecting, I couldn't agree more it's a great machine to collect for. It's that combination of different regions andmish mash of styles that attracts me, that oddness appeals to me, I just love anything different to the traditional "full set".  You can always turn up something new and there is no real defined set as new stuff shows up all the time.

What are you collecting?

I am also collecting Australian Ozi Soft releases with Silver boxes and carts, super rare PAL variants, some smaller Genesis sub sets, Japanese oddities (software for the mega modem), promos and NFS carts and anything that is obscure really!

I dd have a huge unlicenced and bootleg Mega Drive collection (50+ carts) at one point but took the decision to move it on to make space and raise cash for other stuff.

Edited by dyer

4 hours ago, dyer said:

Cheers man!

That's right it has an English manual as well as Chinese one, the game is in English and is NTSC coded, likely the US ROM. There was Japanese cart release of Shadowrun only a Mega-CD version.

Figured as much, thanks for the confirmation. Didn´t quite understand your last sentence, did you mean to say there isn´t a SFC of Shadowrun? There is! Check out this link http://youkaizukushi.seesaa.net/article/214512084.html

On 8/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, dyer said:

🤣

What are you collecting?

Sega Mega Drive wise, I have too much by now 😉

I started out with the goal of getting all of the unlicensed original Taiwanense-made games. I have most of them by now, either CB or CIB, but I'm missing about 15-20 I think, out of roughly 100. I do (somewhat) have the interest in going for a complete set of the Russian unlicensed games, but it's something that I'd want to purchase in bulk, on the cheap (i.e actual cost + 15% finder's fee or something), though most of my Russian contacts I haven't spoken to in years, and most also couldn't be arsed to help with something like that, under said terms.

So after I got the unlicensed games, I decided to start collecting official Japanese MD games, going for a full set though I doubt I'll ever get one. I had basically drained a local contact dry of Famicom stuff, then he begged me to take a look at his Sega stuff and so I did. It just opened up a whole new collecting nightmare 😄

I also decided to collect the Sega bootlegs with the Chinese text on the spine. I think it's so cool how the package was slightly localised. Regarding localisation, I also collect Sega games that had been translated into Chinese.

I do have a small set of Asian version games, they honestly don't seem to have been distributed in Taiwan very much, so it's sort of a situation where if I find one, I'll grab it, otherwise that's fine too.

Finally, I collect bootlegs of American / PAL exclusives. It's an odd choice, but from where I'm situated (Taiwan), these bootlegs (as well as Japanese versions) are what the locals would have played. Hence why I'm getting these as opposed to legit versions of the USA/Europe exclusives.

• 2 weeks later...

Added this to my obscure Mega Drive collection. It's a German only "Vorfuhrmodul", it's a a demo/sample that was used for trade shows and shops, only a few are known to exist, I had one and sold it a few tears ago and I am made up to find another. It may look like a bootleg but it's not!

As some of you may know Sega's European HQ was in Germany so no surprise an oddity like this came out of there, you will notice that the cart is the standard size and has no heat shiled which was added to the larger cart, game appears to be the final version but the cart is glued closed, so I can't check the inernal PCB and chips. Sega used a donner cart shell from another game and pasted a new paper label over it!!! 🤣

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1