IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Mendel Palace

BeaIank

TI-83 is pretty tough to beat. It can be done. also, He will fall asleep at the wheel sometimes.

his compruter processing, research and gameplay skills are a combination that is top shelf.

morphius is pretty good too. When he topped me on stinger I had to respect that.

pii is also very good I didn’t realize it until last year. 

and then there is the greatest of all time. The one! The only! skinnygrinny!!! Wwwwwooooooooo!!!

• Wow! 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Then you best get to work on getting those charms fixed so that full credit can be given where it is due... 😉

yes I used to be able to see the little icon that confirmed I had the title of winning the shooter crown in the greatest year of the contest. It’s considered the greatest championship of the shooter genre ever.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

yes I used to be able to see the little icon that confirmed I had the title of winning the shooter crown in the greatest year of the contest. It’s considered the greatest championship of the shooter genre ever.

Boohoo. Imagine if you were a huge racing game fan. Then lobbied to get a racing genre for the contests. Then won it over stupidly difficult competition in @PII. Then they told you there would be no more racing genre. And I cant even remember the days of a little icon, because there never was one. Cherish the icon memories, skinny. Cherish them

• Agree 2

On 4/13/2023 at 10:34 AM, Gloves said:

And it will see me winning this year.

Let me be the first to prematurely welcome you to the 1-Timers Club.  The seating is real corinthian leather.  The Whisky, rarely aged less than 100 years.  The weak shall be thy footrests, and the skulls of thine enemies shall adorn pikes surrounding the clubhouse on our private island.  If you are already in possession of a yacht please bring it.  Otherwise you will be relying on Morbo to fly you in.  Upon arrival, like the rest of us you'll be tempted to get some sort of grand pronouncement out of Bert.  However, he cannot be made to speak and whiles away his days atop the highest peak in a state of near perpetual meditative bliss, his long flowing white beard gently blowing in the syrupy sweet breeze.  We now believe him capable of willing NES homebrews into the development stage by mere thought alone.  As you can see this achievement will change your life and soul forever.  Such is the destiny of the Sage who, in doing the unthinkable, reaches into the great beyond that is,...The One-Timer's Club..

P.s. within moments of your triumph becoming official there shall come a knock at your door.  Do not be alarmed.  This will only be 8-bit arriving to ceremoniously encrust your NES controller in Gold, it's 8 buttons will then be re-studded with the finest jewels for all time..

P.p.s.  Almost forgot, the new guy has to jiggle the handle on the top floor toilet before retiring on any given eve.  Otherwise that sucker'll be runnin' all night..!

1 Timers Club.png

• Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
On 4/13/2023 at 9:34 AM, mbd39 said:

So you just sat down and automatically knew how to play through the entire game? Or at least most of it.

Even the Mexican Runner had to use continues.

Just sat and watched the video and... yeah dude's not very good at this at all. His deaths from the swimmers especially, where he complains saying stuff like "what is the key in this shit?" and "this is impossible, man"... dude's just not great at the game; those enemies telegraph their moves heavily. Every video I've seen from him tells me he's not particularly highly skilled overall, mostly just persistent. I'd love to see a video which shows some serious skill from him, but my impression from everything I've seen is just dedication/persistence. Which, don't get me wrong, I admire that - cool dude that did a cool thing. I'd just not consider him the bar by which I measure skill in gaming on the NES. This video reminded me of how he beat Elevator Action by abusing the time mechanic which resets the difficulty of the enemies - something I don't need to do to beat that game.

Reading the thread that you linked from NA, you yourself had said this back in 2016:

Here are the results from the 2013 contest. Based on the top scores in recent contests, I expect similar results this week:

"1st: 5,118,210 – rdrunner +11 points
2nd: 2,515,410 – EoTN +10 points
3rd: 2,222,910 – guillavoie +9 points
4th: 1,451,990 – Thundercat08 +8 points
5th: 1,115,410 – smick +7 points
6th: 950,250 - mattyjmania +6 points
7th: 872,870 – link463 +5 points
8th: 443,620 – fatalfuryspecial +4 points
9th: 370,470 – EgasKrad +3 points
10th: 341,140 – bearcat-doug +2 points

PARTICIPATION

236,410 – Krunch +1 point"

The 2016 gang didn't even live up to the 2013 gang, by a fair margin. 

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Just sat and watched the video and... yeah dude's not very good at this at all. His deaths from the swimmers especially, where he complains saying stuff like "what is the key in this shit?" and "this is impossible, man"... dude's just not great at the game; those enemies telegraph their moves heavily. Every video I've seen from him tells me he's not particularly highly skilled overall, mostly just persistent. I'd love to see a video which shows some serious skill from him, but my impression from everything I've seen is just dedication/persistence. Which, don't get me wrong, I admire that - cool dude that did a cool thing. I'd just not consider him the bar by which I measure skill in gaming on the NES. This video reminded me of how he beat Elevator Action by abusing the time mechanic which resets the difficulty of the enemies - something I don't need to do to beat that game.

Reading the thread that you linked from NA, you yourself had said this back in 2016:

To put things in perspective, I am quite sure that EOTN's 2013 score was BS, so removing it kind of balance a little better with the 2016 standing.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Look at his Battletoads any% and Cuphead speedruns.

Anyway, if this game is as easy as you think it is then a lot more players in these contests should be getting millions of points. Maybe you just happen to be especially good at it. As far as action puzzlers go it's much harder than Kickle Cubicle. Part of the issue is that it often gets chaotic with the screen filling with enemies and if you take too long then they'll move much faster making them even more annoying to deal with.

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Look at his Battletoads any% and Cuphead speedruns.

Anyway, if this game is as easy as you think it is then a lot more players in these contests should be getting millions of points. Maybe you just happen to be especially good at it. As far as action puzzlers go it's much harder than Kickle Cubicle. Part of the issue is that it often gets chaotic with the screen filling with enemies and if you take too long then they'll move much faster making them even more annoying to deal with.

Fair point, I suppose imagine in brackets "(to me)" beside my statements. I found it incredibly forgiving in that there is usually a screen clear (or 5) available, and even when you do die from taking too long, it only costs you a single life, after which they return to normal speed, and you can say fuck doing that again, and clear them out quickly on attempt 2.

Obviously I didn't quite make it to the bonus stages, only to the castle, so it's not like I did perfectly. There's another 100 levels I didn't touch. Certainly not trying to gloat or anything, the game just didn't strike me personally as particularly difficult (especially, again, with a guide which shows where all the screen clears are, and which provides some guidance/tips for every main game level). 

A very good game to say the least.  I wish I had had time/energy to work on this one this past week.  It's been on my radar for a few years now...

Anybody else run into any glitches?

When I was on the first boss, as soon as I got hit the game froze up..

mendel palace glitch.png

40 minutes ago, G-type said:

I'm sad to be leaving this game behind... 

Feel the same way. When I realized I didnt have enough time to play another game, I was genuinely sad. Best puzzler since krazy kreatures, maybe better. Awesome game choice. Didnt find any glitches like that @PII.  

On 4/15/2023 at 11:43 PM, Gloves said:

I don't even remember playing this back in 2013, but I barely remember what I did 10 minutes ago, let alone 10 years ago. 

• Haha 1

• The topic was unpinned