IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Mendel Palace

BeaIank

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Are you trying to collect all the stars? The last star in each room is worth 10k points. You should have over 100k by the end of the first castle.

I started to figure that out by playing.  No, I didn't start doing that until maybe the 4th or 5th stage and then on a couple of stages, I'd flip a panel that clears all panels (the 8-arrow one) and tapped it a time or two, killing all of the enemies.

I think that's why I started to like it.  I was learning about these little details like the one you mentioned, but through game play rather than reading a manual or watching a video.

But thanks.  That point of info is rather critical.

EDIT

My only real issue so far, is I've not quite figured out the exact placement of how card flipping/enemy hitboxes work.  Some times I flip the card I'm on, sometimes it's the one I'm facing.  You can even be between two panels, and nothing happens (and it's not the special panels either.)  I'll figure it out but really that's my only gripe.  Figuring out boundaries for actions based off of player/enemy locations could be tighter, but once I crack the code, I'm sure I'll do better.

Edited by RH

Administrator · Posted

I've yet to touch the game unfortunately. We're in the due diligence phase of another house and hopeful future home this week, on a very tight timeline. I'll be playing for sure, but the effort of even just getting the ROM on my NT Mini has felt like too much effort in a busy week. I'll get there just need to get off my ass. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, RH said:

I started to figure that out by playing.  No, I didn't start doing that until maybe the 4th or 5th stage and then on a couple of stages, I'd flip a panel that clears all panels (the 8-arrow one) and tapped it a time or two, killing all of the enemies.

I think that's why I started to like it.  I was learning about these little details like the one you mentioned, but through game play rather than reading a manual or watching a video.

But thanks.  That point of info is rather critical.

EDIT

My only real issue so far, is I've not quite figured out the exact placement of how card flipping/enemy hitboxes work.  Some times I flip the card I'm on, sometimes it's the one I'm facing.  You can even be between two panels, and nothing happens (and it's not the special panels either.)  I'll figure it out but really that's my only gripe.  Figuring out boundaries for actions based off of player/enemy locations could be tighter, but once I crack the code, I'm sure I'll do better.

You want to keep shuffling floor tiles to uncover secrets because everything's worth points in this game. The sun tile that shuffles all the tiles is worth 5k points. The moon tile is worth 3k and fills the floor with stars. The FIVE SEC tiles add five seconds to your time limit and are worth 2k each. There are also hidden bonus rooms that have more stars to collect.

12 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

You want to keep shuffling floor tiles to uncover secrets because everything's worth points in this game. The sun tile that shuffles all the tiles is worth 5k points. The moon tile is worth 3k and fills the floor with stars. The FIVE SEC tiles add five seconds to your time limit and are worth 2k each. There are also hidden bonus rooms that have more stars to collect.

There's a time limit?  I didn't notice that.  I'll look for the clock.  I need to tweak my TV anyway.  Part of the UI was clipped by the bezel of my trinitron.

Just now, RH said:

There's a time limit?  I didn't notice that.  I'll look for the clock.  I need to tweak my TV anyway.  Part of the UI was clipped by the bezel of my trinitron.

There's technically no time limit but after a certain point the enemies speed up and much more aggressively chase you and makes the level much harder to complete.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RH said:

I started to figure (it) out by playing. 

This has been a really fun game to do that with. I hadnt played the game, but it is goddamn fun and discovering all the quirks has been a blast. Glad I didnt shortcut to video, manual, guide etc on this one. 

It def takes some time, but it is well worth it if you can make it happen. Another one that sat on my shelf for years and is going to good use for the first time

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

First attempt. Took a long ass time, this is not a short game lol. 

IMG_20230413_014504.jpg

How the fuck can you get over 2 million on your first attempt???

When we played this in 2016, only one person got over 2 million. https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview1a83.html?catid=31&threadid=167060

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

How the fuck can you get over 2 million on your first attempt???

When we played this in 2016, only one person got over 2 million. https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview1a83.html?catid=31&threadid=167060

Sounds like 2016 just can't cut it with the real gammers. 

• Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Sounds like 2016 just can't cut it with the real gammers. 

So you just sat down and automatically knew how to play through the entire game? Or at least most of it.

Even the Mexican Runner had to use continues.

Edited by mbd39

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Even with a walkthrough it's crazy getting that score on first attempt.

Maybe shooter skills help with this game since a lot of it is patterns.

The game is pretty intuitive, and is not at all skimpy with the free lives. There's a bonus on almost every stage which has a chance to give a free life, and if you can time it right (not difficult) you can basically guarantee it every time if you really need more lives. I really found it not difficult at all, aside from a few tricky situations and bosses being total jerks. If I can find the time I'll not be surprised if I post a score somewhere in the post-game bonus stages.

10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have limited time to play and learn the ins and outs of each game, and I lack the years of experience.

I make up for that with research and overall skill.

And it will see me winning this year.

I’ll allow it!

whooooaaaaa glovsie boi calling his shot!

You think you know more than a doctor?!

requiem for a dream win GIF by Challenger

Editorials Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have limited time to play and learn the ins and outs of each game, and I lack the years of experience.

I make up for that with research and overall skill.

And it will see me winning this year.

Gauntlet thrown.

Also, this game kicks ass.  If I had unlimited free time and wasn't prioritizing my backlog list, I'd be down to jump in.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1