IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Mendel Palace

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome, welcome.

It is a week for some PUZZINGLY action for our skilled players.
Watch as they work hard to solve the mysteries of MENDEL PALACE!

The rules for this week are as follow:

• 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Play the stages in any order
  • To get your score, continue your game after getting a Game Over and take your picture on the stage select screen
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation score : 100,000
  • GENRE: Puzzle

The contest ends Sunday, 04/16/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1st Gloves 2,512,970
2nd mbd39 1,014,830
3rd Dr. Morbis 914,260
4th NESfiend 820,290
5th 8bitdontquit 724,760
6th PII 408,110
7th G-type 402,280
8th Richardhead 351,780
9th a3quit4s 321,510
10th SuperJimtendo 268,120
11th JamesRobot 242,500
12th RH 132,100
  • Like 1

Well, I want to do more but I’ve only been able to try this game three times.  I might try another run or two tonight.  It shouldn’t be hard to get better, but I’ve just not had time this week.

BBAB281B-434C-4672-BB7C-5123D0FB9F30.thumb.jpeg.5d41c1eb697fde5729f12af6383aa1f0.jpeg

Edited by RH

This game is either super easy, or you guys have played a lot of Mendel's Palace.  I've yet to try it out yet, but I did watch 5 minutes of a Let's Play just to get an idea for the game.  Looks interesting.  My biggest concern is if I'll have time to play until I die.  I'm sure it's not as easy as it looks but this looks like this one will be a single-game-per-night title, unless it's a lot harder than it seems.

11 minutes ago, RH said:

This game is either super easy, or you guys have played a lot of Mendel's Palace.  I've yet to try it out yet, but I did watch 5 minutes of a Let's Play just to get an idea for the game.  Looks interesting.  My biggest concern is if I'll have time to play until I die.  I'm sure it's not as easy as it looks but this looks like this one will be a single-game-per-night title, unless it's a lot harder than it seems.

I first played it in the contests in 2016 and it's not easy.

• The title was changed to 2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Mendel Palace
3 hours ago, RH said:

FYI, this isn’t a play til you die competition.  This week is play until Game Over.  I assume just lost a life.

I did get a game over... and accidentally started a new game, but since the high score was still displayed, I figured I'd just snap a picture.

I just gave it my first, real try this morning.  I managed to get through the first castle, and the first stage of the second castle.  I lost my last life at 97,650.  Crap.  At first I didn't like this game but it grows on you.  I kind of like that feeling.

Anyway, I'm sure I can get a fair score that's mostly phoned in by the end of the week.  I think I'm going to get my name on the board and just pick a week coming up soon to practice.

24 minutes ago, RH said:

I just gave it my first, real try this morning.  I managed to get through the first castle, and the first stage of the second castle.  I lost my last life at 97,650.  Crap.  At first I didn't like this game but it grows on you.  I kind of like that feeling.

Anyway, I'm sure I can get a fair score that's mostly phoned in by the end of the week.  I think I'm going to get my name on the board and just pick a week coming up soon to practice.

Are you trying to collect all the stars? The last star in each room is worth 10k points. You should have over 100k by the end of the first castle.