IGNORED

VGS April 1st 2023 Contest [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

9 minutes ago, koifish said:

Optimism lowered. It seems I can't well at all in tetris. Beginner's luck on first run? Maybe I'll try again later. I never did like NES Tetris that much...

There's only like 4 or 5 different variations of the Tetris pieces that you can get. Some are easier than others to deal with so if you practice and get familiar with which set you're comfortable with you can get a couple Tetrises off and get a good well going just from habit.

Same thing with rad racer. I can't remember exactly but something determines the aggressiveness of the VW Bugs.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

Events Helper · Posted
15 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

There's only like 4 or 5 different variations of the Tetris pieces that you can get. Some are easier than others to deal with so if you practice and get familiar with which set you're comfortable with you can get a couple Tetrises off and get a good well going just from habit.

Same thing with rad racer. I can't remember exactly but something determines the aggressiveness of the VW Bugs.

24 minutes ago, koifish said:

Optimism lowered. It seems I can't well at all in tetris. Beginner's luck on first run? Maybe I'll try again later. I never did like NES Tetris that much...

They say 10,400 is the best score to get in Mario I believe.  Gets you the same set that everyone uses for WR runs.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

how do you get 10,400 on Mario? Best I can guess is you suicide on 1-1 to save time vs. the 1-2 stage transition, but then I'm not sure on the path you end up with.

Ok, WOW. I had no idea until looking it up that your score in Mario determines the block pattern in Tetris. Seems that if you get the same score on Mario then your Tetris round will be the same set of blocks every time.

Oh, and also, Rad Racer has a turbo button when you press Up on the d-pad 🤦‍♂️

The tetris round is way easier now that I have this trick. Rad Racer is much faster too, so more time to block drop.

On that note, my new entry:

koifish submit 3.png

Edited by koifish
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
On 4/1/2023 at 6:39 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

You can get the top score by just rocking the turtle on 3-3 and not even getting to Tetris. I believe the NWC rules were adapted to say you need at least 1 pt on Tetris that way if contestants did rock the turtle they needed to leave themselves enough time to get at least 1 pt on Tetris. 

Interesting, how does that work? Because doing that doesn't give you any coins, so I'm confused as to how that really helps you at all.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:21 PM, JamesRobot said:

This was the guy.  Said he had five kids to feed and a wife in the hospital so he was letting everything go for cheap.  Set me back a few Gs but totally worth it.  Really, he was doing me a favor.  Nice guy!

vHN4Tq7.jpg

Man, he really does seem trustworthy, you were right! Five kids and a wife in the hospital though, poor guy... glad you were able to help him out at least, and you got a great deal out of it, win-win!

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

@ZeldaFreak Do you want score updates in a new post or the original score post edited?

Updating your original post keeps the thread a bit less cluttered, but you can do either, up to you! Whichever you prefer, it'll be counted either way 🙂

28 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Interesting, how does that work? Because doing that doesn't give you any coins, so I'm confused as to how that really helps you at all.

Lol it's just to rack up points. You never get the coins to move on. The timer runs out and your score for the other two games is blank.

Events Team · Posted
20 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Lol it's just to rack up points. You never get the coins to move on. The timer runs out and your score for the other two games is blank.

Oh yeah duh, I'm an idiot, haha. I'm so used to just thinking as Mario and Rad Racer as stepping stones to get to Tetris, not as actual ways to get high scores. How high of a score can you get to? Because it takes awhile to get to that stage to begin with, so I'd be curious to know how high you can go within the time limit. Maybe I'll test that out later actually, if you can rack up a SUPER crazy score with that method then I might alter the rules so you have to make it to Tetris, yeah.

3 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Oh yeah duh, I'm an idiot, haha. I'm so used to just thinking as Mario and Rad Racer as stepping stones to get to Tetris, not as actual ways to get high scores. How high of a score can you get to? Because it takes awhile to get to that stage to begin with, so I'd be curious to know how high you can go within the time limit. Maybe I'll test that out later actually, if you can rack up a SUPER crazy score with that method then I might alter the rules so you have to make it to Tetris, yeah.

I think it's a pretty substantial amount of points if you get good at it. It's a skill though bc the points stop onces the lives start accumulating. Turtle tipping got people far enough though that Nintendo had to change the rules once the regional finals started. 

I have one of the older RetroUSB (individually numbered) NWC repros without dipswitches.  Is the default time for that cartridge 6 minutes 21 seconds?

Any help would be appreciated! I might have to go the emulator route.

Edited by CT

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, CT said:

I have one of the older RetroUSB (individually numbered) NWC repros without dipswitches.  Is the default time for that cartridge 6 minutes 21 seconds?

Any help would be appreciated! I might have to go the emulator route.

I'm asking one of the guys from retrousb, I'll let u know.

Edited by Jeevan