IGNORED

VGS April 1st 2023 Contest [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Events Team · Posted

@Aguy @spacepup @Gloves @drxandy @Mega Tank @Splain @nesmaster14 @RegularGuyGamer @Gaia Gensouki @JamesRobot @Jicsan @ZeldaFan042 @darkchylde28 @DefaultGen @RH @Brickman @Red @NESfiend@the_wizard_666@Bearcat-Doug @FireHazard51 @DoctorEncore @SuperJimtendo @Dr. Morbis @mideast @Deadeye @JVOSS @koifish @acromite53 @KokiriChild @Jeevan @G-type @Bonanza125 @Lago @PII @BlackVega @Avgn Gamer @CT @Link @captmorgandrinker @Nugfish @North @Vaosu @Wasg13

NWC CARTRIDGE WINNER

Bearcat-Doug

------------------------

1ST PLACE CHAMPION
Avgn Gamer - 1,964,360

2ND PLACE CHAMPION
RegularGuyGamer - 1,499,120

3RD PLACE CHAMPION
Bearcat-Doug - 1,152,050

------------------------

(If any of you would like to be removed from this ping list for future events, please let me know and I'll take your name off the list! Or, likewise, if you'd like to be added to the list, let me know as well! For these events, I ping people who have participated in previous events, and/or people who I think would be generally interested in future events.)

------------------------

Heya there everyone! It's, uh, no holiday in particular today, we just felt like running a little contest for you. You could say a... championship?

NWCLogo.png.8f816261ec657e4595428cb73dbfa28f.png

For this year's... uh, no holiday in particular contest, haha, we're going to be playing some Nintendo World Championships! That's right, we're actually playing a game that's meant to be played in a contest setting, exciting!

For those who haven't played it, here's how it works: You're on a short time limit. The game is broken up in to three chunks. The first chunk is the original Super Mario Bros. Your objective is to collect 50 coins as fast as you possibly can. Once you do, you move on to the second chunk, Rad Racer. Your objective is to get to the finish line as fast as you possibly can. Then, the third and final chunk is Tetris. Your goal is to get as many points as you can (IE clear as many lines as you can) as fast as you possibly can. You continue going (and the game keeps getting harder) until your time runs out. Pretty simple!

With that said, the rules for this contest are... actually slightly more complicated than usual, but I'll guide you through it:

For this contest, we're replicating the time limit they used in the original event back in 1990, which is 6 minutes 21 seconds. To do this, we need to flip one of the little DIP switches on the cartridge to the ON position. If you have a reproduction cartridge, you should see the DIP switches on the left side of the front of the cartridge. By default, they should all be in the OFF position, facing down. Simply flick the third switch up, to the ON position, and you're good to go.

Now, if you're using an emulator on the other hand, this becomes a bit trickier, as every emulator has different settings for how to do this. I'll use Mesen as the example emulator, since it has the easiest DIP switch settings I know of, and at least for this contest it's probably the emulator I'd recommend using for that reason.

Settings may differ if you're using a different emulator, but to change the DIP switch settings in Mesen:

Spoiler

Open the emulator > Load up the NWC ROM > Click on Game > Click on Game Configuration > Click on the drop-down menu next to Dipswitch #2 > Select On > Click OK

13ba467b14552148e4525e9f40d9db96.gif

Now that we've done that... there's one MORE thing we have to do! To actually start the game, you need to press start on a controller plugged in to the second port rather than the first port. If you're using an emulator, we can fairly easily set this up.

Again, settings may differ if you're using a different emulator, but on Mesen, to accomplish this:

Spoiler

Open the emulator > Click on Options > Click on Input > On the right, there will be two Setup buttons. Click the bottom Setup button > Click on the empty rectangle below Start > Press whatever key you'd like to set the button to > Click OK > Click OK again

Now, whenever you want to start the game, simply press whatever key you bound the Player 2 Start Button to, and it'll start the game.

929d4ec59780ab8c83881397b239513c.gif

You can test to make sure you have the right DIP switch settings by starting the game, and simply timing how long it takes for the time to run out, starting as soon as you press start. If it takes 6 minutes 21 seconds, you're good to go!

Now then, now that we've gotten all that crap out of the way, you can FINALLY start actually playing! Simply try to get as high of a cumulative score as you can before the time limit runs out, then submit your score! Your total score is displayed as soon as your time runs out.

The prize this time (that's right, singular) is actually slightly different this time. You see, a few days back, @JamesRobot met some guy in an alley, who offered him a copy of Nintendo World Championships for dirt cheap. He assured him it was a totally legit, original copy, and JR told me he seemed like a trustworthy guy, so even though I haven't seen the cart myself, I trust JR's judgment!

That's right, rather than the usual cash prizes, the singular prize for this contest is a TOTALLY AUTHENTIC, TOTALLY ORIGINAL, DEFINITELY 100% NOT A REPRODUCTION copy of Nintendo World Championships!!! 😱

The way this will work is it'll be a tiered raffle system. What this means is, the cart will be put in to a raffle, meaning the winner will be randomly selected from the participants. However, the higher you are on the leaderboard, the more entries in to the raffle you get. If you're in first place, you'll get 10 entries. Second place 9, third place 8, and so on. So the higher you are on the leaderboard, the more likely you are to win the cart (though it's not guaranteed!)

Here is the full breakdown of how many entries in to the raffle you will get based on your final position on the leaderboard:

1st: 10
2nd: 9
3rd: 8
4th: 7
5th: 6
6th: 5
7th: 4
8th and below: 3

The only further stipulations to the contest are as follows:

1. Ensure that you have the time limit correctly set to 6 minutes 21 seconds when you play, as only scores submitted using that time limit will be accepted.
  2. As you would expect, no save states, cheat codes, slow motion, turbo controllers, etc. are allowed. Anything that would give you any kind of advantage over playing the base game on real hardware is not allowed. If it feels like cheating, consider it not allowed.
  3. When you submit your score, make sure your VGS username is visible somewhere within view of the photo/screenshot of your score. It could be a slip of paper with your VGS username written down on it, or a text document displaying your VGS username. Use whatever method you like, so long as your username is clearly visible alongside your score.
  4. Only scores that have been achieved after this contest has started will be accepted.
  5. If you've already submitted a score, and you end up getting a better score, you may of course submit the better score, and it will simply replace your previous score.

This event will last from now until 4/8/2023 at 11:59 PM EST, a little over 1 week from now. Once we make it past that deadline, that'll be the cutoff point for new score submissions. I'll tally everyone's final scores up, and deal out prizes accordingly!

Good luck, and I hope you all have fun! Remember that there are real prizes on the line here, so try your best!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

Events Helper · Posted
5 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Is rocking the turtle valid? Do you need at least one point in Tetris?

IDK if it would be worth it for you since if we have a tetris savant, they could kill you with tetris'

Nintendo World Championships 1990 is a rare game used in the competition of the same name, in which players had six minutes to collect 50 coins in Super Mario Bros. and then finish Course 1 of Rad Racer, with any remaining time spent in the A-Type mode of Tetris. After time expired, the player's scores in each game were tallied, with a 10× multiplier for Rad Racer and a 25× multiplier for Tetris.

Not my contest though, so @ZeldaFreak will be the judge on that one 😉  

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Is rocking the turtle valid? Do you need at least one point in Tetris?

Well the turtle wouldn't help, since the goal of that section is to collect coins specifically. Unless rocking the turtle is some other term I'm unfamiliar with, but I assume you're talking about

NecessaryFormalAfricangoldencat-size_res

As for Tetris, no, you don't need to necessarily, though your score is most likely going to be substantially lower if you don't.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Well the turtle wouldn't help, since the goal of that section is to collect coins specifically. Unless rocking the turtle is some other term I'm unfamiliar with, but I assume you're talking about

NecessaryFormalAfricangoldencat-size_res

As for Tetris, no, you don't need to necessarily, though your score is most likely going to be substantially lower if you don't.

You can get the top score by just rocking the turtle on 3-3 and not even getting to Tetris. I believe the NWC rules were adapted to say you need at least 1 pt on Tetris that way if contestants did rock the turtle they needed to leave themselves enough time to get at least 1 pt on Tetris. 

Events Helper · Posted
45 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I had another Tetris lines up too 🫠

20230401_203955.jpg.52d599208ec8a5372282e34b25dd54f8.jpg

20230401_204126.jpg

fyi, zeldafreak got over the world record in the surivvor game we ran last time, so i don't think rockin the turt will net you over 6.5 milly or whatever the record is

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

You see, a few days back, @JamesRobot met some guy in an alley, who offered him a copy of Nintendo World Championships for dirt cheap. He assured him it was a totally legit, original copy, and JR told me he seemed like a trustworthy guy, so even though I haven't seen the cart myself, I trust JR's judgment!

This was the guy.  Said he had five kids to feed and a wife in the hospital so he was letting everything go for cheap.  Set me back a few Gs but totally worth it.  Really, he was doing me a favor.  Nice guy!

vHN4Tq7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Events Helper · Posted
11 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

This was the guy.  Said he had five kids to feed and a wife in the hospital so he was letting everything go for cheap.  Set me back a few Gs but totally worth it.  Really, he was doing me a favor.  Nice guy!

vHN4Tq7.jpg

funny thing is, i dont see an nwc cart there..........

5 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

vHN4Tq7.jpg

This guy looks pretty trustworthy and I'm 100000% sure he doesn't sell drugs

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
15 hours ago, Avgn Gamer said:

If you have an everdrive, is it possible to do the DIP switches in settings or whatever 

Not sure what everdrive you have, but looks like krikzz added virtual dip switch support for the everdrive n8-pro at least, i'll check the N8 next.  How you use it is beyond me though, you will have to try to figure it out.

Maybe N8 is the same?  IDK, as I can't find the changelog for the N8 as it is not listed on their site.  Either way, hope that helps ya out.

EDN8-V2.13  23.05.2022
1) Changes in folders sturcture*
2) Update for mappers: 4, 1, 198, 90, 245, 74
3) New mapper 192
4) Virtual DIP switch function for NWC 1990 and others
5) Cheats access from in-game menu
6) Per-cheat on/off switch
7) Improved recently played menu
8) Fixed false firing of save state combos in some games
9) State recovery option always turned on
10) Minor fixes and changes which i didn't logged

*Each game has own subfolder where stored all data related to it (saves, cheats etc.)
All game data located in EDN8/gamedata
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

Not sure what everdrive you have, but looks like krikzz added virtual dip switch support for the everdrive n8-pro at least, i'll check the N8 next.  How you use it is beyond me though, you will have to try to figure it out.

Maybe N8 is the same?  IDK, as I can't find the changelog for the N8 as it is not listed on their site.  Either way, hope that helps ya out.

EDN8-V2.13  23.05.2022
1) Changes in folders sturcture*
2) Update for mappers: 4, 1, 198, 90, 245, 74
3) New mapper 192
4) Virtual DIP switch function for NWC 1990 and others
5) Cheats access from in-game menu
6) Per-cheat on/off switch
7) Improved recently played menu
8) Fixed false firing of save state combos in some games
9) State recovery option always turned on
10) Minor fixes and changes which i didn't logged

*Each game has own subfolder where stored all data related to it (saves, cheats etc.)
All game data located in EDN8/gamedata

Holy fuck YES its go time jennay

• Love 1