IGNORED

Your goto 'hidden gem'?

Nintegageo

5 hours ago, PII said:

I presume children were not originally treated to the theme from M.A.S.H. w/ pro-suicide lyrics at the same time they got to hear Alfred's buk-buk voice and that got added later for some strange reason? ??  ???   ????     ????????

I remember hearing the MASH the for the first time with lyrics.  I think I was in college and, actually, I’d found someone on Napster who had ripped a ton of TV theme songs.  Anyway, I was shocked.  I mean, it’s not the worst lyrics you’ve ever heard but, yeah, the tongue-in-cheek, pro-suicide nature of that song just didn’t seem like something the FTC would let fly, but I guess that was a different time.

#WarIsHell

6 hours ago, PII said:

I presume children were not originally treated to the theme from M.A.S.H. w/ pro-suicide lyrics at the same time they got to hear Alfred's buk-buk voice and that got added later for some strange reason? ??  ???   ????     ????????

Correct. I have no idea what that's about. I could only find one other version on youtube and it also has bizarrely out of place music on it 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 1:37 PM, RH said:

I have two go-to titles.  Sorry, can't/won't pick one. 😛

Intelligent Qube -  Excellent puzzle game and worth a pick-up and play.

Virtual Pool 64 - I've brought this up a few times before but since it's been about a year, I'll say it again.  It's like the N64 joystick was designed for this game.  It's an excellent pool hall sim, it has loads of trick shots lined up in it, and it's a great single or multiply player game.  Many have called it the best pool sim game ever made, and I've even heard non-gamer/console gamer types say that.

You have sufficiently piqued my interest. I will check out Virtual Pool next time I have time to sit down with a game.

11 hours ago, Red said:

Digidrive for Game Boy Advance.  The original GBA version was only released in Japan, but a downloadable DSiWare version was available in the US and Europe.  It's both one of my favorite puzzle games and one of my favorite games for GBA.    I tried to get some people here to try it earlier this year, but only got one taker.

Sorry, I would have done it but I was busy 😛 maybe soon?

On 3/29/2023 at 7:52 AM, twiztor said:

i always used to recommend "Alfred Chicken" for the NES when it was an easy $20 pickup. Now the price has climbed up around $100 and it is much harder to suggest. But since we're only picking one, that's my answer.

I learned about this game from the Game Boy completion challenges. It is a solid game, even if I feel like it is a bit too "European" of a platformer for me (hard to describe, but many amiga games feel like this, a sort of beautiful visuals yet stiff feeling play). No reason to not try it out if you can though.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, Brickman said:

I used to always recommend Henry hatsworth on the DS but I think people have caught onto that game been really good. It’s a puzzle/platformer.

This is going to be a weird one because it is popular in the indie scene, but I think more people need to play Celeste. I think a lot of people know of it but haven’t actually played it. A fantastic platformer.

And finally, not to cause issues after the whole Treasure thread getting locked, but I genuinely think Wario World on the GC is an overlooked title. Same with Astro Boy on the GBA.

Henry Hatsworth is awesome. I remember seeing that recommended on some game forum in 2010 or so, and then I found it at sam's club of all places for 10 bucks and it was a no-brainer. To be honest though, I like that people seem to sleep on DS games, because it keeps them cheap! Though admittedly that is mitigated somewhat by the readily available flash carts, I prefer good systems being cheap and easy to get into for new prospective fans.

Also, why are people saying that mentioning Treasure will get threads locked? Feel like I missed something.

On 3/28/2023 at 4:30 PM, Makar said:

Mine is definitely pocket card jockey on the 3DS. Closely followed by drone tactics on the DS. Ivy the kiwi on the Wii is another one I always recommend, as is boktai on gba. And for current gen I always mention Wargroove if you count that as a hidden gem. There really are a ton of them. I could go on and on about DS hidden gems. 

Pocket Card Jockey is absolutely a hidden gem. Sadly you can't even buy it anymore. Also I don't know if it's really "hidden", but the Sega 3D Archives trilogy is one of the single best classic game compilations ever made, period. Of course that one is a shame because you can't afford it anymore! (that's a lie, they were always expensive). For both games, at this point, I say just go "get" it since nobody will sell them to you anymore (except the latter for an arm and a leg, plus you need a JP console).

I have to pick just one, so it has to be Lost Planet 2, which is to me still the best third-person shooter ever made and in my personal top 5, but which a lot of people probably never played. It is a bit trickier to play these days as it is still tied to GFWL on PC, but PS3 still has servers last I checked, and the 360 version is playable on the new Xbox consoles, I think. It just has incomparably excellent feeling, weight, and response for all of the character interactions, and the moments you get from it are just crazy. It is really at its best in co-op, but solo it isn't bad. My only complaint is that the first game had much better human vs. monster fighting while the sequel has a lot of fights vs. human opponents, but the overall game design and mechanics are so far improved that I don't really mind it.

Related thought, but the game Shattered Horizon is so damn cool, and it was such a mistake to release a game that was Vista-only (at the time). I don't think the company makes games anymore, but personally I think they should simply stage a relaunch now that people can actually play it. I bet it would sell much better and that people would appreciate how cool it is.

• Like 1

Big Bang Mini (NDS). It is a shoot em up styled sort of like a Bullet Hell game, though most of the time it is fairly toned down. The thing is, if you miss a shot then it will explode against the side of the screen into shots that can kill you. The game is mostly controlled with the Touch Screen, but the controls work pretty well. The music is also pretty great and varied. Most World in that game are themed around real life cities which is kinda cool

5 hours ago, RH said:

I remember hearing the MASH the for the first time with lyrics.  I think I was in college and, actually, I’d found someone on Napster who had ripped a ton of TV theme songs.  Anyway, I was shocked.  I mean, it’s not the worst lyrics you’ve ever heard but, yeah, the tongue-in-cheek, pro-suicide nature of that song just didn’t seem like something the FTC would let fly, but I guess that was a different time.

#WarIsHell

It's hard to imagine people of that era hearing that on the tube even once, but if the opening theme had had the lyrics included people would have been sitting on their couches night after night hearing that.  So weird...

1 hour ago, koifish said:

Also, why are people saying that mentioning Treasure will get threads locked? Feel like I missed something.

tl;dr: There was some banter and disagreement about whether or not Treasure is totally awesome in one thread. Then the guy who said they are made a different thread dedicated to the topic, and the arguing went further than a mod preferred. 

If you want to read it all start here:
https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/12647-do-you-think-nintendo-considered-the-n64-a-success/?do=findComment&comment=342995

then read this thread:
https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/12667-is-treasure-the-dev-overrated/

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:52 AM, twiztor said:

i always used to recommend "Alfred Chicken" for the NES when it was an easy $20 pickup. Now the price has climbed up around $100 and it is much harder to suggest. But since we're only picking one, that's my answer.

Oh nice.  I’ll have to pop that in then and give it a whirl.  Jalen Hurts scored me a copy this year but I’ve yet to try it out.

• Like 1

I don't know if they're so much as hidden gems, in part since they're import titles and from popular anime/manga franchises but I think do they fly under the undiscovered radar by many just how good they are on Super Famcom.

Choujikuu Yousai Macross Scrambled Valkyrie -- Think Gradius meets Macross(aka: Robotech) you know... Rick, Max, Miriya each with their own veritech(valkyries) and you can get 3 modes to fly as in the series, each with their own load outs.  The game is a semi-unique graphical and audio treat for the system on top of just being a top tier quality horizontal shooter.  It plays the peak parts of the story from Macross stage by stage.

And then...guilty pleasure time -- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon & R -- Magical school girl saves the universe stuff here, done as some pretty good quality wanna-be Final Fight clones.  They quite well follow the stories of the first two years/seasons of the 5 season franchise.  They're not super easy pushovers but not hard either, a quality time just pounding on monsters to de-stress a bit.

image.jpeg.4ce048fe4bcbd1e2f5dce8ab4d708023.jpeg

Ufouria for the NES. Probably the best NES game I've ever imported. Awesome soundtrack, too. I uploaded a video on YouTube in 2009 that contains the entire soundtrack (except for one unused music track, which I included in a separate video).

image.jpeg.7572bf920b4b17b54d1024e409be2972.jpeg

image.jpeg.0b7593cfb8ae0b0b8fdec146c451c72b.jpeg image.jpeg.b75a284c88e3b125244cad8777455030.jpeg

Adventure Island for GameCube. It's difficult (like a lot of other games in the series), but even so it is still a fun little side-scrolling platformer. I like the extra content that can be unlocked, including the Hudson Shooting Watch, commercials for the first three Adventure Island games (including the American commercial for Adventure Island 2), and an option to change the soundtrack to that of the NES version of Adventure Island. Honestly, though, the whole Hudson Selection series is good and qualify as hidden gems.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

Definitely Battle of Olympus for NES. If you haven't played it, do yourself a favor and do so ASAP - it's similar to Zelda II in style, except Zelda II can't hold its jockstrap.

Since people are mentioning more than one and always when people ask about this my mind goes to the massive stack of NES games in this category, I'll also say Mendel Palace. Just a fun game all around and nobody ever mentions it.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Deadeye said:

I usually pick out a console game for these questions.  Going to give a different answer this time...

Scorched Earth for DOS

hqdefault.jpg.9c0944bc6146a6e2ad36dc4223e9efa7.jpg

Inspired by this, I'll say Island, also for DOS. It was developed by the school board I grew up in and is actually pretty engaging, albeit very simple. You can play it here! Island A Game Of Survival DOS EN : Durham Board of Education : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

image.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Inspired by this, I'll say Island, also for DOS. It was developed by the school board I grew up in and is actually pretty engaging, albeit very simple. You can play it here! Island A Game Of Survival DOS EN : Durham Board of Education : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

image.png

The idea that your school board created an educational game for students is awesome and makes me want to move to Vancouver. 

1 hour ago, elprincipe said:

Definitely Battle of Olympus for NES. If you haven't played it, do yourself a favor and do so ASAP - it's similar to Zelda II in style, except Zelda II can't hold its jockstrap.

Since people are mentioning more than one and always when people ask about this my mind goes to the massive stack of NES games in this category, I'll also say Mendel Palace. Just a fun game all around and nobody ever mentions it.

I've tried Olympus many times but it never really feels like it is comparable to Zelda 2. I would say that our opinions are exact opposites; Even just the basic feeling of movement in Olympus seems completely wrong to me. Curious if something in detail stands out to make you praise it so highly.

9 hours ago, koifish said:

I've tried Olympus many times but it never really feels like it is comparable to Zelda 2. I would say that our opinions are exact opposites; Even just the basic feeling of movement in Olympus seems completely wrong to me. Curious if something in detail stands out to make you praise it so highly.

Nothing specifically, just everything about it is better - plays way better, designed way better, looks better, sounds better, more interesting setting...I can't really think of anything I'd say Zelda II does better except the terrible password system Battle of Olympus uses instead of allowing saves.

11 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Armello is a really cool strategy game on PC that I never hear anyone talk about. It reviewed well, but seems to have flown under the radar. Highly recommended if you like tabletop board games and/or card games.

have seen this one played before. It isn't my go-to but it does look very good. Maybe it flew under because it's from down under. 😉

5 hours ago, elprincipe said:

Nothing specifically, just everything about it is better - plays way better, designed way better, looks better, sounds better, more interesting setting...I can't really think of anything I'd say Zelda II does better except the terrible password system Battle of Olympus uses instead of allowing saves.

to be fair to them, only high-budget games from bigger companies could afford to put save batteries in given Nintendo's onerous cartridge prices, to say nothing of how the tech basically didn't exist until the middle years of the system lifespan. All that said, I suppose we will simply have to agree to disagree.

I used to really enjoy playing a DOS game called ABUSE. It was basically a dark 2D platformer with aliens. You had to play with mouse and keyboard because it had 360 degree aiming. 

I think I found out about this game as a PC Gamer demo. Always been surprised this game was never ported to any other systems.

19C83D88-3156-41BD-AD66-908085336548.jpeg.eced91f398e3c8252403b670aec918c0.jpeg

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1