IGNORED

VGS St. Patrick's Day Contest 2023 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Events Team · Posted

179025280_LeprechaunSage.png.e9836a2d38b

@Aguy @spacepup @Gloves @drxandy @Mega Tank @Splain @nesmaster14 @RegularGuyGamer @Gaia Gensouki @JamesRobot @Jicsan @ZeldaFan042 @darkchylde28 @DefaultGen @RH @Brickman @Red @NESfiend@the_wizard_666@Bearcat-Doug @FireHazard51 @DoctorEncore @SuperJimtendo @Dr. Morbis @mideast @Deadeye @JVOSS @koifish @acromite53 @KokiriChild @Jeevan @G-type @Bonanza125 @Lago @PII @BlackVega @Avgn Gamer @CT @Link @captmorgandrinker @Nugfish @North @Vaosu

1ST PLACE WINNER
darkchylde28 - 508,665

2ND PLACE WINNER
Wasg13 - 406,190

3RD PLACE WINNER
BlackVega - 403,110

------------------------

(If any of you would like to be removed from this ping list for future events, please let me know and I'll take your name off the list! Or, likewise, if you'd like to be added to the list, let me know as well! For these events, I ping people who have participated in previous events, and/or people who I think would be generally interested in future events.)

Heya there everyone! It's that time of year, a holiday entirely dedicated to my favorite color!

...That's what St. Patrick's Day is about right, the color green...?

1489005558_LepLogo2.png.d3d00919dad0cee3b5e73f74719cb642.png

For this year's St. Patrick's Day contest, we're going to be playing some Leprechaun! For those who haven't heard of it, this is actually an arcade game from all the way back in 1982! This game is nearly twice as old as I am!

For those who haven't played it, here's how it works: You play as a sleuth, trying to steal the Leprechaun's pot of gold. The Leprechaun chases you around the whole game. If you get caught by him, you lose a life. Touching the trees all over the screen will increase the point value of the pot of gold. Touching the houses will allow you to teleport to another part of the screen. Touching the pot of gold gives you however many points it's worth at that time, and progresses you to the next stage. Very simple, very easy, very fun!

With that said, the rules for this contest are very simple: Boot up the game, insert some coins so you can play it (again, arcade game! Your emulator of choice, if emulating, should have a hotkey to insert a coin,) try to get the highest score you can before losing all your lives, then submit your score! There is of course an in-game leaderboard, this being an arcade game, so that would likely be the most convenient time to take a photo/screenshot of your final score.

Prizes will be dealt out to those who end up with the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd highest scores, respectively. As per usual, the prizes up for grabs are as follows:

1st Place:  $25 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent
2nd Place:  $20 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent
3rd Place:  $15 Amazon gift card or cash equivalent

The only further stipulations to the contest are as follows:

1. Make sure to play the original Arcade version of Leprechaun, as only submissions for that particular version of the game will be accepted. I don't know if there are other versions of the game, but if there are, don't play 'em, play the original!
  2. As you would expect, no save states, cheat codes, slow motion, turbo controllers, etc. are allowed. Anything that would give you any kind of advantage over playing the base game on real hardware is not allowed. If it feels like cheating, consider it not allowed.
  3. When you submit your score, make sure your VGS username is visible somewhere within view of the photo/screenshot of your score. It could be a slip of paper with your VGS username written down on it, or a text document displaying your VGS username. Use whatever method you like, so long as your username is clearly visible alongside your score.
  4. In the event you roll the score over, take a pic of your score once you hit around 900k, before the score rolls over. Continue as normal until you game over, then take a pic of your final score as well, and submit both pics. If you roll the score over multiple times, take pics every 900k or so until you game over, then submit all of those pics in addition to your final score pic. I don't actually know if the score does roll over at 999,999 for this game, but for now let's play it safe and assume it does. Feel free to prove me wrong though! If it rolls over at a higher number I'll update this rule accordingly!
  5. Only scores that have been achieved after this contest has started will be accepted.
  6. If you've already submitted a score, and you end up getting a better score, you may of course submit the better score, and it will simply replace your previous score.

This event will last from now until 3/25/2023 at 11:59 PM EST, a little over 1 week from now. Once we make it past that deadline, that'll be the cutoff point for new score submissions. I'll tally everyone's final scores up, and deal out prizes accordingly!

Good luck, and I hope you all have fun! Remember that there are real prizes on the line here, so try your best!

It was suppose to say "RLH".  I played this on an online MAME emuliator.  Let me know if that doesn't work.  It's been a while since I did one of these events but the last time, playing one of those emulators was fine.  I also didn't see a way to change dip switches, so this was the default settings.

SCORE: 324,945

image.png.a558e142e04cefbe02038accf00d8706.png

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, BlackVega said:

Are we supposed to play this?

leprechaun_1982.png

You don't expect everyone to play on the original arcades and shoot photos of it right? I guarantee 99% of people here, including me will use emulators so you might as well give instructions how to set it up because MAME is never trivial

No, I definitely don't expect ANYONE to play on an original arcade honestly, but figured there might be a very slim chance there's some Leprechaun super fan out there that might own the original arcade for... whatever reason, haha.

For emulating it, I would likely just use RetroArch, that does streamline the whole process quite a bit and there's plenty of tutorials out there on how to get MAME games up and running using RetroArch. That's what I did to playtest the game and it was as easy as running any other game on RetroArch. Just gotta launch RetroArch > Load Core, download the MAME core, create a "MAME" playlist in the Desktop Menu for RetroArch, drag and drop the game in to the playlist, go BACK to the RetroArch main menu, scroll down to "MAME" and there you go.

...I'm very tired so it's possible I explained all that very poorly, but as I said, plenty of tutorials out there on how to get games working on RetroArch.

Events Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, RH said:

It was suppose to say "RLH".  I played this on an online MAME emuliator.  Let me know if that doesn't work.  It's been a while since I did one of these events but the last time, playing one of those emulators was fine.  I also didn't see a way to change dip switches, so this was the default settings.

SCORE: 324,845

image.png.a558e142e04cefbe02038accf00d8706.png

That should be fine, yeah! I'd only be careful since in my experience, the online ones can sometimes be a little finicky compared to just emulating it on your PC.

Also, I actually didn't think about it until now, but seeing as how this game does have an in-game leaderboard, I'll allow screenshots like this in which you enter your initials/name in to the leaderboard alongside your score, so long as there's no mistaking that it's you. 🙂

3 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

No, I definitely don't expect ANYONE to play on an original arcade honestly, but figured there might be a very slim chance there's some Leprechaun super fan out there that might own the original arcade for... whatever reason, haha.

For emulating it, I would likely just use RetroArch, that does streamline the whole process quite a bit and there's plenty of tutorials out there on how to get MAME games up and running using RetroArch. That's what I did to playtest the game and it was as easy as running any other game on RetroArch. Just gotta launch RetroArch > Load Core, download the MAME core, create a "MAME" playlist in the Desktop Menu for RetroArch, drag and drop the game in to the playlist, go BACK to the RetroArch main menu, scroll down to "MAME" and there you go.

...I'm very tired so it's possible I explained all that very poorly, but as I said, plenty of tutorials out there on how to get games working on RetroArch.

...or, @BlackVega, just play it online... in a browser... which might be as easy as one Google search away. 😉

EDIT 

Sorry, @ZeldaFreak, I saw your last post after I posted this one.  The online emulator worked fine for me.  It felt a tad slow, but when I compared it to video footage online, well, it looks like this game just isn't blazing fast.

Edited by RH
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, RH said:

...or, @BlackVega, just play it online... in a browser... which might be as easy as one Google search away. 😉

Yes this is also a possibility. That online emulator functionality is somehow a new concept and I always forget it exists. I'm still an old school user of local emulators tho

I checked it out myself and it looks like this game doesn't need any extra steps to set up. It doesn't even look like it needs any special treatment. Either way here are the instructions:

MAME emulator setup:

-Download MAME emulator

-Download Leprechaun ROM (it will probably be named leprechn.zip and it should stay that way)

-Move leprechn.zip into MAME "roms" directory

-Launch "Leprechaun" from the MAME menu and there you go (you press 5 to insert coin and 1 to start the game)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@ZeldaFreak where do i go

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

This isn’t where I found it, but if it works it works.  I think most of those MAME sites use the same tool to run the emu in a browser.  If @Gloves post doesn’t help, just let me know and I’ll find the site I used when I’m back at my desk tomorrow morning.

• Like 1