IGNORED

Game Debate #145: Super Mario 3D World

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Super Mario 3D World

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Bowser's Fury

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I really enjoyed it.  I came really close to 100%ing the game, but I just couldn't beat that ridiculously difficult bonus level.  I started Bowser's Fury, but I was sort of burned out collecting all of the bonus items in the main game that I never got around to finishing it.  At the end of the day, I absolutely prefer 2D Mario to this, but it's definitely worth playing.  

7/10. I liked it and I think it’s worth playing but it’s not amazing or anything.

Like TDIRunner I also got stuck on the final bonus level, think it was called champions road or something.

One of my runs I was right near the end and died. I rage quit and never played it again.

I have Bowsers fury and played it for about 5 mins. Seemed alright, I’ll revisit it one day.

• Agree 1

It's a pretty decent Mario game for what it is. Not as good as Galaxy 1/2 or 3D Land but certainly more enjoyable than some other later mainline titles. But if you ask me, I think the best thing about the game is the music. There are a few really catchy tracks and for that alone, I'm glad it exists.

7/10. Good but not exceptional.

Haven't played Bowser's Fury and probably won't get the chance...but looks neat.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 1:17 AM, DefaultGen said:

I like this game but was more impressed by Super Mario 3D Land. We never had anything like that at the time, and even though SM3DW is a good game, it had the impossible task of following SMG2.

3D World was a step down from 3D Land for me too. I actually wish 3DW recycled more levels and designs than it did from 3DL sort of like how Mario Galaxy 2 did from Galaxy 1. But obviously Nintendo didn't want it to be a direct sequel.

Still out wasn't a bad game, I just think it's par for the course. Nothing spectacular or ground breaking. 7/10

Bowser's Fury on the other hand. Now that is a game. No comparison to 3DW and it's a crime it's not released as it's own game by now. Only Nintendo would be allowed to tease a game like that and get away with it. 9/10 must play. 

I gave both a solid 8. Just a bunch of fun, both those games, not much you can really point at as obvious flaws really. Neither game is particularly memorable however, IMO.

I will say my kids definitely seem to like 3D world more than most 3D Mario games, I think it's a good entry point for younger gamers because they levels are linear and there are a lot of power-ups and stuff to help out. Although, these days they HAVE graduated to the more open world style, with Mario Odyssey, but I think their earlier experience with 3D World really eased them into that.