IGNORED

Canadian Sega Genesis: A Collecting Guide/Blog

RoyalT

On 3/26/2023 at 11:13 PM, Sega Steve said:

with almost two years passing since any major update to this thread and, having occasionally lurked around the Canadian Set conversation since the old SegaAges days, im left wondering: Has anyone EVER publicly acknowledged having a complete set (regardless of which titles were known at the time)?

I understand there may still be some unknown unknowns we can keep that possibility off the table for this question.

Nice to see this thread active. I Just need a manual for Home Alone and a complete copy of California Games. I have been looking for California games for years and wouldn't you know one popped up on eBay in January on my saved searches.  By the time I checked the game was sold, even messaged the seller and pleaded to help me reach the buyer, the seller wouldn't help. Anybody here snag that please reach out!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204225870700?hash=item2f8ccf7b6c%3Ag%3AkRkAAOSwNuxj04Du&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0LN3ywcVkTPZExIeuxwWiCQBp5lGsTc0zFgy3Q2DhlbIfmEnIz7nIhj1DtwMUDJoX7%2Fj7Gr1%2BwNzpsaXM%2BI27bQBZU7mQimAclwcJy1jskjUZ4A%2Bndbbeu2CBN5hGGBHFUJjqlg%2BX8q%2Bh%2B902NEH9hPtPHfjyrbA%2BkyzrsqPn4B3oW2GX4N5bbz1ZrrjX%2BwZSCz5be5IShSckyccAiA1Tb%2FvRKLX%2FJHee1vA048hCaajmxydyZCYt1YRPLU2rS%2BS6AKO2eHzDC%2FYxbR252DKaBk%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5LD7MzsYQ&nma=true&si=5ixPH3fGfXiD5pcsBQbuvchML5Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Collection.thumb.jpg.1155197674aed41f20593ef0b0b96221.jpg

Edited by Ampplays
  • Like 2

Well would ya looky here:

I just noticed something "interesting" on the back of the Bio-Hazard cover art. After looking over my other Canadian variants, i think i stumbled across a legitimate ERROR by Sega. While the cover fully conforms to our current expectations for a Canadian cover format (as evidenced by the things i have circled in GREEN), I have circled in RED something i have not seen on any other Canadian release.

At this point, we know the Canuky art is based off the PAL releases BUT there has yet to be a direct reference to that on any of the games. If anyone can point out another instance of this "ERROR", i would be totally happy to see it! Maybe it has shown up on other releases or reprints; would be nice to know.

GEN_CAN_-_BH01.jpg

GEN_CAN_-_BH02.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

It's Done! Complete set of the 62 known Candian Variant boxes! After missing out on that last California games never thought I would stumble on another copy so soon!! Just need a manual for California games and Home Alone and everything is complete. I have the KA variants pictured here too, just need Barney to complete those.

unnamed.jpg.4ea0221210c03bb0f4865e28a81ecb9d.jpg

On 4/9/2023 at 1:52 AM, Ampplays said:

Nice to see this thread active. I Just need a manual for Home Alone and a complete copy of California Games. I have been looking for California games for years and wouldn't you know one popped up on eBay in January on my saved searches.  By the time I checked the game was sold, even messaged the seller and pleaded to help me reach the buyer, the seller wouldn't help. Anybody here snag that please reach out!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204225870700?hash=item2f8ccf7b6c%3Ag%3AkRkAAOSwNuxj04Du&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0LN3ywcVkTPZExIeuxwWiCQBp5lGsTc0zFgy3Q2DhlbIfmEnIz7nIhj1DtwMUDJoX7%2Fj7Gr1%2BwNzpsaXM%2BI27bQBZU7mQimAclwcJy1jskjUZ4A%2Bndbbeu2CBN5hGGBHFUJjqlg%2BX8q%2Bh%2B902NEH9hPtPHfjyrbA%2BkyzrsqPn4B3oW2GX4N5bbz1ZrrjX%2BwZSCz5be5IShSckyccAiA1Tb%2FvRKLX%2FJHee1vA048hCaajmxydyZCYt1YRPLU2rS%2BS6AKO2eHzDC%2FYxbR252DKaBk%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5LD7MzsYQ&nma=true&si=5ixPH3fGfXiD5pcsBQbuvchML5Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Collection.thumb.jpg.1155197674aed41f20593ef0b0b96221.jpg

Edited by Ampplays
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, Ampplays said:

It's Done! Complete set of the 62 known Candian Variant boxes! After missing out on that last California games never thought I would stumble on another copy so soon!! Just need a manual for California games and Home Alone and everything is complete. I have the KA variants pictured here too, just need Barney to complete those.

unnamed.jpg.4ea0221210c03bb0f4865e28a81ecb9d.jpg

Nice looking CAN set, Aaron! Don't forget Adventures of Mighty Max and Sonic Spinball K-A variants. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Count said:

Nice looking CAN set, Aaron! Don't forget Adventures of Mighty Max and Sonic Spinball K-A variants. 

WOW! Congrats on completing the set! Where did you come up with the California Games come from? Also, whats with the KA variants? Are they actually proper Canukistanis with the 69044 bar code prefix?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sega Steve said:

WOW! Congrats on completing the set! Where did you come up with the California Games come from? Also, whats with the KA variants? Are they actually proper Canukistanis with the 69044 bar code prefix?

Snagged that off eBay a few weeks ago.

California Games Case and Game- Sega Genesis(no manual) | eBay

KA Varients are not proper Canukistanis, just another little obscure set of later released re-prints I think are cool. I think they were sold in Canada because I have mostly found them on eBay Canada.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/12/2023 at 1:27 PM, cyberguile said:

Congratulations 🙂

Just recently discovered that there was a canadian 32X pack

Was wondering if they also made any 32X canadian games ?

Im not going to say "NO, there were no Canadian 32X games" but...

Its HIGHLY unlikely that there would be anything like the Genesis Candian Variant Set for any other system. It would appear that situation was a specific window in time brought on by, amougst other things, Sega's failure to create its OWN Canadian distribution network prior to the launch window for the Genesis. By the time the 32X came on the scene, Sega had long-since taken over distribution for their products in Canada which brought an end to the "true" Canadian Variant Set.

So wait, there's a "false" variant set? Well, to me there is and its made up of only ONE game. Its a hockey game, because of course it is...Blame Canada!

This is why im NOT willing to say there are no Canadian (eh, multi language) 32X variants out there because, given Sega's propensity to make design changes more often than a baby's gets a diaper change, it COULD be out there!

Edited by Sega Steve
Becuz im Sega & imma make random changes!
  • Like 2

Barney, while dirt cheap, is a tricky one. HAHA. I've been actively looking ever since I found out about it here.

K-A/ESRB aren't Canadian, and while I don't doubt copies might have been sold there, it likely was US only. It might confuse future individuals who don't read the comments and just view images. 🧐 No judgement btw, it's just the first thing that popped into my head.

Edited by Maverick

• 4 months later...
On 7/20/2023 at 2:04 AM, Maverick said:

Barney, while dirt cheap, is a tricky one. HAHA. I've been actively looking ever since I found out about it here.

K-A/ESRB aren't Canadian, and while I don't doubt copies might have been sold there, it likely was US only. It might confuse future individuals who don't read the comments and just view images. 🧐 No judgement btw, it's just the first thing that popped into my head.

Damn just missed out on a Barney, I don't think it went cheap though.

58 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Would you be referring to the Canadian listing with Busytown? That was me! 🫢 I put in an offer of $36 for the lot and it was accepted. I didn't have Busytown, so the math works for me, barely. 🫠

That was the one! This is why I always look for KA variants in the Canadian listings! Nice find!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Count said:

Here's a Barney ESRB that sold on 11/13 for a reasonable price ($14.55). It's uncommon for sure, but I would have a hard time paying too much more for it as they always seem to sell for $15>.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375054350266?_trksid=p2349526.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Damn I missed another one! Help a brother out I want this! This is may be the last major variant I need to be complete.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1