IGNORED

Canadian Sega Genesis: A Collecting Guide/Blog

RoyalT

Credit to SuperGamBoy, this is his work that I've copied over here for preservation. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In this thread I'm hoping to document differences between US and Canadian releases of the same game.

I intend to dedicate each post to a Canadian release or two, in alphabetical order.  I will provide pictures of all sides of the game and will provide a side-by-side with its US counterpart release. I will also highlight any distinguishing features of the game so that you can more easily spot each particular game as you are browsing eBay and may be working with limited photos.

JOGAeqj.jpg

So far I've identified 59 Canadian releases.  The below table lists the games, as well as what "style" of cover art each game has (for easy identification when browsing eBay listings), and any changes made to the Canadian cover (such as omiting text boxes on US versions).

#

Title

Canadian Cover Art Style

CAN Changes

After Burner II

No border

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Same as US release

Alisia Dragoon

16-Bit Cartridge/Sega logo

Altered Beast

French text, Irwin logo

ENG/FR manual

Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf

Same as US release

Aryton Senna’s Super Monaco GP II

Batman Returns

No hologram

California Games

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Chakan

Columns

No border, 16-Bit Cartridge

Cyberball

David Robinson’s Supreme Court

No NFL Films textbox

Decap Attack

Dick Tracy

Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Evander Holyfield’s Real Deal Boxing

ESWAT: City Under Siege

Fantasia

16 Bit Cartridge/Sega logo

Fatal Labyrinth

Flicky

Forgotten Worlds

Galaxy Force II

Ghostbusters

No border, no copyright text

Ghouls ‘N Ghosts

Same as US release

Golden Axe

Same as US release

Golden Axe II

Greendog the Beached Surfer Dude

Herzog Zwei

Same as US release

Home Alone

No “Holy Cow!”

Joe Montana Football

Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football

Kid Chameleon

No Levels/ Screens Splash

Last Battle

Same as US release

Mario Lemieux Hockey

Mercs

Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker

NFL Sports Talk Football ‘93 Starring Joe Montana

Hor. Sports Talk info/ No 12 Megs

NHL All-Star "Match Des Etoiles" Hockey '95

Red banner cardboard

French in title

Phantasy Star II

Same as US release

Phantasy Star III

Quackshot Starring Donald Duck

Revenge of Shinobi

Same as US release

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

Sonic the Hedgehog

Cream background

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Yellow border, 16 Bit/Sega

Space Harrier II

Same as US release

Spider-Man

No "50% off"

Streets of Rage

No 1 or 2P logo

Strider

51 Super Hang-On Same as US release  

Super Monaco GP

No border

Super Thunder Blade

Same as US release

Sword of Vermillion

No border (no multi-lang)

Unique Manual

TaleSpin

Taz-Mania

Thunder Force II

Same as US release

ToeJam & Earl

Tommy Lasorda Baseball

Same as US release

Wonder Boy in Monster World

The games in red text are ones I haven't yet found the Canadian releases of, so I haven't been able to take side-by-side comparison pictures.

Pictures coming soon!

• Like 6

1) After Burner II

sMhjA1M.jpg
Left: US release; Right: Canadian release
The covers are quite similar, but the Canadian release does not have a border around the cover art.

PWXlIVL.jpg
The most apparent difference between US and Canadian releases is that Canadian releases often include several langauges, as After Burner II does.  In addition, the back of the Canadian release does not have a "1 Player" logo in the top right, and it is also missing the Sega of America information in the bottom left corner.
iCadPQF.jpg
Canadian spine on top.  Could be sun-fading, but I dont' think so.
8gzKHPr.jpg
Canadian release on its own

2) Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

mBz3Pfe.jpg
sUwUSbm.jpg
Slight difference in the font size/spacing
DL056ww.jpg
PJNxpHj.jpg
Minor difference in the arrangement of the spine text
k9uAtd5.jpg

3) Alisia Dragoon

KeEpD0F.jpg
The difference between the two releases is quite distinct and easy to spot.  Many Canadian releases added the "16-Bit Cartridge" along the bottom and the Sega logo in the bottom right corner.  These releases also do away with the border present on the US release.
RvU2RYW.jpg
Very different backs.  The Canadian version is multi-language, as usual.  The US release has its own "non-black box" back that is not present in Canadian releases.
nUFv3NG.jpg
Canadian release on top
OQAiVgC.jpg

4) Altered Beast

rUHUeQU.jpg

Altered Beast is the only Canadian release that uses the Irwin logo.  Apparently, from 1987, Irwin Toy Ltd. distributed games for the Sega Master System and continued distribution of Sega Genesis games until 1993, when Sega of Canada, a subsidiary of Sega of America, took over.

The front and back of the box contain text in both English and French.
5hsCBEu.jpg
8OTDpaC.jpg
You’ll also notice that the Canadian release uses the grid design, while the US release does not.  Also, interestingly enough, the Canadian release does not have a barcode of any sort.  Both the US and Canadian release were made in Taiwan.

4qltK0q.jpg
qDnI18J.jpg
The cartridge for the Canadian release is the same as the US cartridge, from what I can tell.
XR7KMjk.jpg
4DhXVOG.jpg
rV8naCw.jpg
The instruction manual is dual-language, English and French.  The manual is opened from one side for French and the other side (flipped upside down) for English, something I didn’t realize until I started putting together this post.

The texture of the clear plastic on the clamshell case (of the Canadian version) is very smooth.  It does not have the bumpy texture that most black box games would have had. I think the US version is also smooth in a similar way, but I'm adding this comment absent from the games so I can't be certain.  Also, my Canadian Altered Beast does not have a hang-tab, but if I look very closely it appears that there might previously have been a hangtab and that it was cut off.  I am uncertain whether the Canadian release of Altered Beast is supposed to have a hang-tab or not - by comparison the US release comes in a clamshell that never had a hang-tab.  I can't confirm that it is the same for the Canadian release.

Next up is Aryton Senna’s Super Monaco GP II.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5) Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf

rJXIiGh.jpg
gNlnkF3.jpg
ftvIQ30.jpg
59sFX7T.jpg

6) Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II

gD6EHJQ.jpg

You'll notice that the Canadian release features the SEGA logo in the bottom right corner as well as the text "16-Bit Cartridge" across the bottom. For the Canadian releases in this style, the SEGA logo makes them standout and easier to spot as you won't find this logo on cover of black box US releases.

NPZbUOP.jpg
NwCHKRi.jpg
The spines are pretty identical; the Genesis logo might be slightly large on the Canadian release [top].

X38Iv5u.jpg
I've commonly seen this SEGA sticker seal on European and Australian PAL Mega Drive releases. I believe some PAL games were sticker sealed instead of shrink-wrapped, but I am not certain. A number of the Canadian releases I have picked up have included this same sticker; however, in instances in which the original case I acquired the game with did not include a hangtab, I've swapped the cases out for cases with the hangtab, at the loss of the sticker.

jAtmCXz.jpg
A close up of just the Canadian release
Unlike the US release, the Canadian version does not have a "border" around the image.  The Canadian release uses the same image, but the image is stretched to the full size of the box and the Official SEGA Seal of Quality logo has been removed and is missing from the Canadian copy.

hdIcbWG.jpg
rAjcjZt.jpg
Like most Canadian releases that I will feature in coming posts, the back of the box includes the game synopsis in several different European languages. Screenshots are smaller and all aligned to the left-side.

z6ErZCe.jpg
The barcodes for Canadian Genesis games begin with 69044 whereas US releases begin with 10086.

Next up is Batman Returns.

• Like 3

7) Batman Returns

7vEXXvk.jpg
tc4bMdg.jpg%3Cimg%20src=7RXCxlw.jpg
Now, the spines here are interesting. The barcode for the US release of Batman Returns is on the spine, which is an awful eyesore; however, for the Canadian release the barcode is not on the spine and is on the back of the box, which I greatly prefer. And as a bit of a "spoiler," looking at all of my Canadian releases, not a single on as a barcode on the spine.

BXnudOs.jpg
Another small peculiarity, the "Batman Official Licensed Product" hologram is only on the US release of the game. The Canadian release does not have this hologram sticker.

And lastly, here's a shot of just the Canadian release on its own:
uJRraM1.jpg

😎 California Games

GddqnWg.jpg
EBcoC7f.jpg
EOln61a.jpg
49BAEXK.jpg
Canadian release on its own. I am missing the manual but should receive it soon.

• Like 3

9) Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

e7TFiaa.jpg
HGBwdBN.jpg
9NLaUPb.jpg
Interesting spine difference here. Canadian release is on top. The "Starring Mickey Mouse" text is much smaller, as is the Sega Genesis logo.

Here is the Canadian release of Castle of Illusion, on all its own:
WhgopI2.jpg

And lastly, here is a bit of a bonus. Pictured below is a rather interesting release of Castle of Illusion. Quackshot has a similar release and Kid Chameleon might as well. Coincidentally, Quackshot and Kid Chameleon also both have Canadian releases, so there may be a nexus to explain these odd mis-matched releases.
38PkVzX.jpg

The box is a regular Genesis box - no European languages on the back, but the cart is a Mega Drive cart and the manual is the one used for PAL releases. I have seen this release discussed on a number of forums and I have seen it on eBay quite a few times. I've compared the box to my normal US release and there are a few differences.

Here are the backs of the "mis-matched release" [top] and the normal US release [buttom]
ZkNQ66t.jpg
Here the two releases side-by-side:
0xgl4FT.jpg
Left: Mis-matched release; Right: US release

Looking at the two boxes, I see some very subtle differences. For the mismatched release the box art seems to be slightly larger with less border around the image. The Genesis logo on the spine [not pictured] also seems a tad larger. There may be differences, but for the most part, from the front, they aren't distinguishable.

Here is a comparison of the back covers:
L029igi.jpg
The only real difference is the placement of the Sega of America address line. On the US release it is at the very bottom
. but on the mismatched release that line is between the third screenshot and the barcode.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10) Chakan

wnAtrHL.jpg
7B2PfdK.jpg
DAVkt5y.jpg
Canadian release on top.  Notice how the US release has the UPC on the spine.  No Canadian releases have the UPC on the spine.
z5bgwLM.jpg

11) Columns

jxXpwUL.jpg
gMNpACx.jpg
The Canadian release has the "16-Bit Cartridge" text, but the text it centered and the cover does not have the Sega logo in the corner
kUTMqLO.jpg
AzLU5LL.jpg
ies3qJC.jpg

12) Cyberball

3zuuZRG.jpg
Note: My Canadian release is a little bit sunfaded

First thing you'll notice, the Canadian release actually gets the full box art. The main robot's shoulder is completely visible and we get to see more of the blue robot's back. Also, the font color for "Cyberball" is different. On the US release it is orange, but for the Canadian release it is red. Even with any sunfading, it is clear that the two used different font colors. I've checked images of the PAL release and, like the Canadian release, the font color is red.

hwiOp0q.jpg
I didn't notice until today, but covering some of the UPC on my US copy is a return address label for a previous owner from Minnesota, Kevin E. Nelson, haha.

RLyM0DH.jpg
Looking at the spines the difference is font color is unmistakeable. Canadian release on top in red and US release on the bottom in orange.

5CPct03.jpg
g1Knhaj.jpg
The cart for the Canadian release is just a standard US release cart. To my knowledge there is no Genesis cart with a red Cyberball cart label. You can see the contrast in color between the cart and the manual.
qpva1vE.jpg
And lastly, on the spine of my Canadian release of Cyberball there are still the remains of one of those Sega stickers.

Next up is David Robinson's Supreme Court

• Like 2

13) David Robinson's Supreme Court

KA9liE2.jpg
73TLjA4.jpg
The differences between the US and Canadian release of this game are consistent with the kinds of differences we've seen displayed so far in this thread.

R2RRZH2.jpg
Canadian release on the top

QJjFPdN.jpg
Here's an individual shot of just the Canadian release

One major difference between the US and Canadian release is the below text block about an NFL Films Sports Videotape.  There are two US releases of David Robinson's Supreme Court, one with this textbox and one without.  I have not seen a Canadian release of the game that includes this textbox - to my knowledge no Canadian copies will have this textbox.
WJS1EHy.jpg

Next up: Decap Attack

• Like 3

17) Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing

6tktTrF.jpg
ZW3OSsg.jpg
vEmCE3T.jpg
Top: Canadian release. Notice how it doesn't have a barcode like the US release does
mKaPXLE.jpg

18) ESWAT: City Under Siege

VoubZvL.jpg
INAld2G.jpg
vdJnO87.jpg
aZyxzkA.jpg
we1MI0X.jpg

• Like 2

19) Fantasia
I don't yet have the Canadian release to do a comparison

20) Fatal Labyrinth

JIAx4tr.jpg
Both releases use the same Fatal Labyrinth logo (with "shadows" behind the letters), but the shadow on the US release seems little more purple
smVUmgO.jpg
usrsJzs.jpg
Canadian release on top. For whatever reason the text on the US spine no longer has the "shadow" behind the letters
Jsrrjpf.jpg

21) Flicky

TwzQG7Q.jpg
wU72a8r.jpg
fYaYCvs.jpg
Canadian release on top
rEz7s4B.jpg
Here is the Canadian release all on its own. 

Next up is Galaxy Force II

• Like 2

22) Forgotten Worlds

3UN9C67.jpg
The covers appear nearly identical, but for the Canadian release the colors look sharper/brighter.

p8BXcQI.jpg
D85t0p5.jpg
GIKwdnR.jpg
There appears to be a small difference in the "SEGA" logos, but its quite minor.

And lastly, here's a shot of just the Canadian release on its own:
bCSdl6J.jpg

23) Galaxy Force II

gAQPkpi.jpg
The Canadian release has a few of the obvious major indicators (SEGA logo, no Official Sega Seal, no borders)

gVjezwb.jpg
The backs are quite different.
ZU1wTHy.jpg
Back of the US release.  The US release hypes up the game more and makes more of a sales pitch.
3CPbTDx.jpg
For the Canadian release, the same text needs to be repeated in a few different languages, so its more brief, but takes a different approach.
JcQZQr4.jpg
The US release has more space on the back of the box, but it instead includes those kind of story details in the instruction manual.

de4HCMn.jpg
Pretty similar spines

vVmwBBF.jpg

• Like 2

24) Ghostbusters

YMk8RDC.jpg
yl7yDKN.jpg
The cover art for the US release includes a large block of text about trademark and copyright information that is absent from the Canadian release

MBwT4sJ.jpg
The backs of the covers have the standard differences.

7b6c5xe.jpg
Here is the back of the US release.
FypXL2P.jpg
By comparison, you can specifically see the lines that were cut out to create the abbreviated game summary.

Iy7tsPT.jpg
Canadian spine on top

qoITWyL.jpg

• Like 2

25) Ghouls and Ghosts

2c31wU6.jpg
The covers of the releases appear to be identical

G8b0QK1.jpg
The backs of the games show the typical differences (no "1 Player" logo on Canadian release, lack of Sega of America address, different UPC, and multi-language)

jakTgZL.jpg
Canadian release on top. The red text in the Canadian release is less vibrant than in the US release. It could be sunfading, but I doubt it. Usually the Canadian releases seem to have brighter colors, but overall I've seen enough color differences to believe this difference may be intentional

6wKfpcR.jpg

• Like 2

26) Golden Axe

vUPPvyW.jpg
The covers of the releases appear to be identical, with the Canadian cover possibly having brighter colors

sI6j78b.jpg
S3GKyvx.jpg
Deeper colored lettering for the Canadian release

BydQCPX.jpg

27) Golden Axe II

vmMTK6b.jpg
xCzeZEF.jpg
rkBySc7.jpg
Lettering on the Canadian spine is a tad larger
9y95xPC.jpg

• Like 2

28) Greendog the Beached Surfer Dude

55GEiCG.jpg
x19hPjj.jpg
I've noticed that US releases without the black-box style back don't have a UPC on the back and instead have it on the spine
Qexb364.jpg
Canadian release on top. US release has UPC on spine
zgk5sW9.jpg

29) Herzog Zwei

Ht8ZFFg.jpg
Colors seem brighter in the Canadian release
NwG8nUQ.jpg
Slight difference in the Genesis logo
g8tThLg.jpg
qLN9Ay5.jpg
Canadian release on top
4D93LPw.jpg

• Like 2

31) Joe Montana Football

Fw1EkeD.jpg
ugW1LaZ.jpg
dr7IL4D.jpg
Canadian release on top
YaPqPOj.jpg

32) Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football

wqar1oh.jpg
BYGBJKJ.jpg
nfxe4tv.jpg
Canadian release on top without the teal background behind the text
mRCd0Tm.jpg

• Like 2

33) Kid Chameleon

aiRrpeB.jpg
DtT7oks.jpg
BrwZOQP.jpg
Canadian version on top. The coloring of the game titles are drastically different
z6eiJ9J.jpg
US release includes a "100+ levels 1850+ screens" burst not present on the Canadian release
awVg3JZ.jpg
Canadian release on top, with much different design/coloring for game title
QqHyWiM.jpg
Canadian release on its own.  I have seen Canadian releases of Kid Chamelon that had a Mega Drive cart instead of a Genesis cart. I'm inclined to view them both as correct, with one being a variant.

34) Last Battle

4ayzouh.jpg
fSYjTIN.jpg

35) Mario Lemieux Hockey

a6GsJmA.jpg
RLF5rO3.jpg
YQx9eXE.jpg
GvOELqh.jpg
  • Like 2

36) Mercs

iVRqtVk.jpg
RvUlkZL.jpg
00om7vh.jpg
Canadian release on top. Spine text is smaller
S6r1Uei.jpg

37) Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
My US release of Moonwalker is currently in storage, so I'll have to use an image pulled from eBay.

Qb0jojv.jpg
Here is the US release
0kVG1f0.jpg
The Canadian release removed the border around the cover art and added the "16-Bit Cartridge" text at the bottom.
O2XJn49.jpg
Back of Canadian release
PrEx4Fa.jpg
Canadian spine (appears to be the same as the US version, based on images online of the US release)

38) NFL Sports Talk Football '93 Starring Joe Montana

ffufOHT.jpg
VSj1C0R.jpg
On the Canadian release the title is in a horizontal box, and on the US release its in a vertical box. The US version also has a "12 Megs" burst not present on the Canadian release
6D3BBOI.jpg
kBCz2wZ.jpg
Canadian spine on top. The spines also use the separate horizontal and vertical text boxes. US version also has a UPC on the spine
w3gqsGw.jpg
I previously had two copies of this game sealed, the above of which I opened to document its contents.

Now that I've covered all three Joe Montana games, here are all the games togeher
lUYrCWE.jpg
  • Like 2

39) NHL All-Star "Match Des Etoiles" Hockey '95
This game is the only cardboard Canadian release.  It came out much later than all of the other Canadian releases and is a bit different. I count it as part of the Canadian set because of the English/French text and that there are two separate releases (US release and this "Canadian" release).  The release is different because it doesn't use the 69044 UPC and instead has a 10086 UPC used typically for US releases.

It turns out I've sold my US release of this game. So like with Moonwalker, I'll have to first showcase the US release using pictures from eBay.
kapgc00.jpg
US release front
875GhVf.jpg
US release back

3tgIVii.jpg
Canadian release front
5IbcIf6.jpg
Canadian release back
QEaFL3I.jpg
For some reason, this barcode sticker was added.  This is not the typical US barcode or Canadian barcode (at least not the one used for early releases). Its also odd because the Canadian release already has a barcode on its side/spine.
cb5vvNa.jpg
Left side/spine of Canadian release.  Notice there is no French text and no barcode.  The box has a cardboard hangtab.
bOi9kOI.jpg
Right side/spine of Canadian release.  French text and UPC barcode.

I went ahead and opened up one of the two sealed copies I had:
wigg577.jpg
hRivv9m.jpg

40) Phantasy Star II

bZG8p95.jpg
The covers are just about identical. The only minor difference is the Sega Genesis logo at the top. On the Canadian release the words "16-Bit Cartridge" have been added to the logo.
yYwKfZz.jpg
Even the backs are nearly the same. Phantasy Star II is one of the toughest Canadian releases to spot or find. The Canadian release doesn't have the Sega of America text and it doesn't have the "1 Player" logo.
475fEy3.jpg
Bottom of the US release with UPC
7oSXz7E.jpg
Bottom of the Canadian release with UPC
n4hX5kC.jpg
Canadian release on top
Small difference in the spines. No trademark on the spine for the Canadian release. Also has the different Genesis logo
7xvyhkm.jpg
What's even more tricky is that both the US release and the Canadian release have vertical "US-style" manuals.
2zPpPtp.jpg
Canadian manual on the right. Notice how there is no "TM" for Phantasy Star. In addition, there is no Genesis logo at all
JeKzOFv.jpg
Backs of the manuals. No reference to Sega of America on the Canadian manual. The US manual is copyright 1989 and the Canadian manual is copyright 1990
BdyLbqN.jpg
A small difference inside the manuals
GW5gRtA.jpg

• Like 2

42) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck

Ue7fAQc.jpg
I've come across three different US versions of the game and one hybrid release, in addition to the Canadian release.
I'll touch on each of those briefly after my comparison of the US and Canadian releases.
YHBNULS.jpg
COpqM6F.jpg
lkSYYQ5.jpg
iSNsbMk.jpg

GCHGdR3.jpg
Here are the three US releases
One of the releases of Quackshot (maybe the first release) included a sweepstakes to win a trip to Walt Disney World. You can see that release on the far left. When the contest ended, some of those art inserts were still used, so the sweepstakes logo was covered up with a Genesis sticker. And lastly, a more standard release with no contest logo or cover up.
zK8sIEZ.jpg
Here is the contest version and the covered up one.
pkjlvQK.jpg
Both of those backs mention that the Treasure Hunt promotion ends on April 30, 1992.

j4I02bj.jpg
The last release of Quackshot is a bit of a hybrid. It has a Genesis box, but a Mega Drive cart and a Mega Drive manual. Castle of Illusion also had a release like this, which I covered earlier in the thread.
ZEtUaiK.jpg
Hybrid release on top (compared to the "standard" US release). As you can see the Genesis Seal of Quality logo has been tweaked/updated. So its not simply the exact same box art with new cart/manual.
peingGJ.jpg
Here is the standard release and the hybrid release side-by-side.

• Like 2