IGNORED

Video game related Injuries

Lago

7 hours ago, Tulpa said:

You might look into a roller mouse. My assistant at work got one when she was developing RSI (carpel tunnel and tennis elbow.) She got used to it quickly and now won't use any other mouse.

I have to conisder those. My plan was to get a larger mouse since the ones we are issued are small logitech wireless mice.  Prefer more of a palm grip than those allow.

3 hours ago, spacepup said:

I can't say I've ever been this mad at a gaming situation.  Even losing tons of progress.  Anyway - I was reading through your story, and as I was reading through it, I thought for sure it was going to end with you grabbing the knife and stabbing your girlfriend! 🙂  I'm glad it was just the wall at least!!!!

On a more serious note, I actually hope this was a good learning lesson about games being just games, and not really that important.

Oh yeah, definitely learned a lesson. This was almost 20 years ago, I've done a lot of growing up since then. Didn't help that it was a pretty toxic relationship.

growing up, my brother and i played a lot of NES. we'd always call in "Nintendo Thumb" when the muscle or tendon in the thumb would ache. first thing i thought of.

in the n64 age, there'd always be a group of us playing whichever was the most current wrestling game. regularly this would lead to us wrestling in the living room. one friend broke his finger (partially blocked ninja kick), another got thrown through a wall (spear), and a third had to get 10 stitches in his head (hit with a filing cabinet drawer). not directly from video games, but i think this is close enough.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, demanufacturedmario said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the first Mario Party.  Blisters galore on the palm of your hands.

I missed basketball tryouts in middle school because I had a sizeable blister on the middle of my hand. I couldn't fully open my hand without it cracking the wound open. Started playing with oven mitts after that 😜

Another indirect video game injury was when I was younger and my bother's friend beat my at NBA Jam with a buzzer beater. I raged and threw the controller just as another one of my brother's friends came into the room and the controller smacked him right in the face. I felt pretty terrible about that one. The guy was pissed but wasn't seriously hurt.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I frequently got blisters from playing the first Mario Party in the early 2000's. I wanted to keep playing, though, so of course the blisters got worse and took longer to heal.

In 2016, I played R.C. Pro Am one night and got a blood blister on my thumb. Which really sucked, because I had to work the next night. Still, that was the only time I got a blood blister so it wasn't quite as bad as getting blisters playing Mario Party.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

I frequently got blisters from playing the first Mario Party in the early 2000's. I wanted to keep playing, though, so of course the blisters got worse and took longer to heal.

In 2016, I played R.C. Pro Am one night and got a blood blister on my thumb. Which really sucked, because I had to work the next night. Still, that was the only time I got a blood blister so it wasn't quite as bad as getting blisters playing Mario Party.

I remember getting blisters on my palm from playing the stick-rotation type mini games in the original Mario Party. No, that's not a euphemism, but I understand the laughter.

Edited by DoctorEncore

And you'd think blisters on the palm of the hand can only happen to kids taking it too seriously. But I recently played mp1 with friends and we had the agreement not play these cursed mini games with the rotation (main concern was was to prevent damage to the controllers). But when those mini games came up, we still didn't keep our agreement.

• Like 1