IGNORED

Silicon Valley Bank collapse and Graded and Sealed Video Games

Just gonna put this out there- the SVB collapse might have an impact on alternative assets like sealed and graded video games. Might start seeing prices begin to spike up again as all these cash pullouts are floating around and investors look to trade some of that cash for some sealed Al Unser NES. Might be a good time to sell this summer.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

If this is true im gonna let my graded punisher and wolverine go. Or, maybe ill ride the hype for the next punisher or wolverine tv show/ movie

Speaking of The Punisher, guess who I missed out on meeting all those years ago? And at my favorite LCS at the time, too. 😭

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/comic-shop-gets-a-visit-from-the-punisher/

22 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Just gonna put this out there- the SVB collapse might have an impact on alternative assets like sealed and graded video games. Might start seeing prices begin to spike up again as all these cash pullouts are floating around and investors look to trade some of that cash for some sealed Al Unser NES. Might be a good time to sell this summer.

sealed game prices have been falling for about a year now but defiantly seeing a big drop lately back to around 2019/ 2018 prices

u can only really see it in the 'make offer' section they are going super low but keeping the sticker prices high

Edited by CIB_Wholesale
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, CIB_Wholesale said:

u can only really see it in the 'make offer' section they are going super low but keeping the sticker prices high

Just like a used car lot, and half as scrupulous (with none of the legal protections).  Gotta keep your bread and butter suckers on the hook somehow.

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

PSA:  It's not a liquid.

IIRC, there was a bit in an episode of the original Duck Tales that went along similar lines, with the boys trying to jump in after Uncle Scrooge did, busting their asses, complaining about it, then Scrooge popping up near them with a big grin on his face, basically winking at the impossible physics of it all.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

IIRC, there was a bit in an episode of the original Duck Tales that went along similar lines, with the boys trying to jump in after Uncle Scrooge did, busting their asses, complaining about it, then Scrooge popping up near them with a big grin on his face, basically winking at the impossible physics of it all.

Damn, I actually remember that episode.  

7 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Can confirm. All the episodes are on Disney+ too if anybody cares like I do!

You guys are making me feel bad that I am too broke to know the Ghost of Christmas past, trick him the first time to a point where The Punisher was released on the NES, trick him the second time so Jon Bernthal could sign any copies I could buy, and then force @MrWunderful to take one of the signed copies after it was graded by Wata. 😭

That, and you guys are also making me want to watch the new DuckTales series, even though my DVR has stuff I need to catch up on.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

What's the episode? 

Definitely want to watch just for that, haha. 

It’s one of the first 3 episodes, might be the pilot. “How does he do that?” It might be a cartoon but it’s pretty funny even watching as a grown up. Launchpad crashing everything he flies in every episode he’s in is a great running joke.

Edited by Gulag Joe

On 3/14/2023 at 9:08 AM, Gulag Joe said:

what's an 'alternative asset'  is that different than regular asset

10 minutes ago, CIB_Wholesale said:

so comic books, RVs, coins, real estate and guitars are traditional?

No those are alternative assets too. Regular assets are cash, stocks, bonds, etc. I guess gold bars are regular when traded for their value since they're (ostensibly) the basis of fiat currency, but gold coins are alternative if treated as collectible and traded for something other than thair face value? Somebody correct if I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, Link said:

No those are alternative assets too. Regular assets are cash, stocks, bonds, etc. I guess gold bars are regular when traded for their value since they're (ostensibly) the basis of fiat currency, but gold coins are alternative if treated as collectible and traded for something other than thair face value? Somebody correct if I'm wrong.

those 'regular' assets are backed by corrupt ceos and leveraged options.

so wouldnt that make video games millennial regular assets?

Edited by CIB_Wholesale

Cash and financial products are traditional forms of money. Video games and cars and bitcoin are not. I only use trad because it's predictable and I can buy anything I want with it. You can say the former is bad if you want, I'm not going to argue. Most people who say that seem to be at the level of flipping expensive items and I am not. All I know is the grocery store and my mortgage don't take sealed games and my job doesn't give them. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Link said:

Cash and financial products are traditional forms of money. Video games and cars and bitcoin are not. I only use trad because it's predictable and I can buy anything I want with it. You can say the former is bad if you want, I'm not going to argue. Most people who say that seem to be at the level of flipping expensive items and I am not. All I know is the grocery store and my mortgage don't take sealed games and my job doesn't give them. 

have you applied to a job at wata?

i get the idea of traditional but are you sure they are predictable? seems like when too many people go to sell there is a special insurance that regular people dont get that gets bigger and bigger every year. the only way out of that would be to hold an asset that people demand instead of insurance/investor contributions making up the difference

Edited by CIB_Wholesale