IGNORED

JVC D Series av-27d501

docile tapeworm

The scan lines are pretty nice on this set. The geometry is pretty bad on this one though. I was excited to get a D series as a lot of people speak highly of them. 
I will say the color via component is really nice. The composite seems fine when playing my nes but it’s terrible when my GameCube is hooked up. 

hopefully I can find one with decent geometry. 

edit: this was a free pickup 

83135A9B-4809-45DB-87BB-67311DD3E654.jpeg

765E7DEA-7281-4E11-ACB3-A8631EBB46FD.jpeg

4BEBD3A0-FFD3-49EC-94B2-FE5675D7B032.jpeg

62C5B58E-8E40-4A27-985E-5B5ADE1F6BEF.jpeg

Edited by skinnygrinny
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, austin532 said:

Yeah, the geometry is kinda wonky on this series. It's mostly the horizontal linearity. It expands towards the edges and shrinks in the center. Pretty sure these don't have any comb filters in them either so composite looks like shit.

That’s exactly how this one acts. It’s terrible while scrolling. I’d like to find another d-series but for now the trinitron fs-170 is my favorite set. 

Wow, watch it buddy! Those pixels are sharp!

I've always wanted a JVC but since I "dumpster dive" for mine (because I've found at least 10 over the years at the side of the road) I've never seen a JVC.  I'd definitely toss/sell my Trinitron for a JVC in good working order, though.

• Like 1

The D series hype is strong right now over on The CRT Collective on FB. I have seen a few local for free but never pulled the trigger. My arsenal of Sony consumer sets and even pro sets is strong. (and hoarderish) I would still like to get one of these Sets. 

I dont think I play anything through composite. Either component, s-video or RGB. I went down the CRT Rabbit hole for almost 2 years. My current daily player is a Sony KV-36FV310 with a modded wii hooked up via component which with thorough testing, NES, Sega, SMS, Game Gear, GB, GBC, GBA, TG16, Atari 7800, Coleco Vision, Atari Lynx, Super Nintendo.......All play great and actually love the filtering mods you can use plus the save states.........I used to be so anti emulator but having something all in one on a CRT is really nice. 

• Like 1

Wow I just went yesterday to pick up a JVC AV-27D502.  I Only had the chance to test the s-video and composite but I was really impressed with it.  My plan is to RGB mod this set so I can have a set with all the old analog inputs.  The pic below is Dracula X on the Saturn via s-video.  This set is replacing a 27" Sony I am selling off this weekend.

20191114_181654.thumb.jpg.675bb0dbd29ca4fc9e0c9cc358985217.jpg20191114_193841.thumb.jpg.9cb37baae2d0d798e789f8a2bc0e3cf1.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, Sign Collector Guy said:

The D series hype is strong right now over on The CRT Collective on FB. I have seen a few local for free but never pulled the trigger. My arsenal of Sony consumer sets and even pro sets is strong. (and hoarderish) I would still like to get one of these Sets. 

I dont think I play anything through composite. Either component, s-video or RGB. I went down the CRT Rabbit hole for almost 2 years. My current daily player is a Sony KV-36FV310 with a modded wii hooked up via component which with thorough testing, NES, Sega, SMS, Game Gear, GB, GBC, GBA, TG16, Atari 7800, Coleco Vision, Atari Lynx, Super Nintendo.......All play great and actually love the filtering mods you can use plus the save states.........I used to be so anti emulator but having something all in one on a CRT is really nice. 

i like this jvc I picked up but the geometry is so bad on this particular set. I like to pick another one up in better condition because it is pretty nice. 
my favorite set so far is the fs170 I use to have. So I’m a trinny hugger myself. 
but this d-series does show it is comparable if not better in the color. 
I remember thinking the trinny wasn’t as bold. 

btw 310

C277151D-6955-41CF-8DA3-C3B11DE49FA5.gif

Edited by skinnygrinny
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 9:31 AM, skinnygrinny said:

@ginoscope

how do you feel about the jump from component to rgb on a consumer set like this? 
I see you have the silver model I hear they are usually in better shape. 
what model Sony you getting rid of? 

I have only ever modded one Toshiba that had component on it and I felt the rgb was just a bit sharper.  I know I could use an rgb to component device but this makes it simpler.  Just my opinion but going straight rgb you avoid a lot of the processing going on in the TV.

The Sony CRT I got rid of was a KV-27v42 that I had for like 6 months.

• Like 1