EDIT: See my post below for pictures of the finished restoration!
I just added this beautiful Sega Genesis store kiosk to my collection! This style of kiosk was sold by Kidzpace (the frame was reused for several different systems), and this dark cobalt colored variant typically comes with a white "Sega Sports" poster as the front artwork. From what I've seen, they don't usually come with the DS-16 cartridge switcher, so it's possible this unit was custom ordered or modified sometime later (DS-16's were supposedly made available for sale to retailers to upgrade their already-owned kiosks).
Picked this beauty up off craigslist just a week ago and it's in good shape all things considered, surprisingly-so given the conditions it's been kept in. The seller unfortunately wasn't a collector or enthusiast; he only picked it up from a video store that had gone out of business 20-odd years ago as a toy for his children, and after they grew up and moved out it spent the next few years languishing in an outdoor storage shed. Now I'm working to restore it!
It definitely needs some love, but the essentials are in good condition. When I went to get it, it was absolutely covered in caked-on dust and grime, the "Sonic" art was stained and water damaged, the "Sega" marque was yellowed from the sun, and the controller mount was nowhere to be found. But despite all that, the plastic and paint don't have any notable cracks, scratches, or other damage (other than very light wear -- it must not have been a popular video store 😏).
Amazingly, and probably unbeknownst to the seller, tucked behind the displayed "Sonic" artwork was the original "Sega Sports" art, and it's in mint condition!
The missing controller mount will be the toughest piece to restore; but fortunately there's a kiosk at a retro game store somewhat nearby that I can visit to model my replacement off of. I've made some paper models of how the original mount wraps around the controller, and I'm going to try to cut the shape from a steel plate.
As for the rest of the electronics..., the only piece worth keeping is the DS-16 (and begrudgingly the case light, as it's riveted in place). The switcher didn't work at first, which was disheartening, but it saved me a hundred off the list price. I was eventually able to repair it after noticing the flex in the expansion port's connector, it just needed a solder reflow (and a good cleaning).
The Genesis is a Model 2 VA0 (which has pretty bad audio and video output as far as model 2's go), so I'll replace that with an s-video modded VA3 (despite HDG model 1's having proven higher-quality audio/video, I'm sentimental for the model 2). The TV only has RF input (and a bit of burn-in, it was made in 1987 after-all...) so I'll replace that with a newer Svideo-capable monitor I have on the way (it'll also match the kiosk better as it doesn't have the garish faux wood appearance). The original speakers are completely shot - the cone on one is damaged, and the other outputs a horrid static noise. In addition to replacing those, it turns out the original audio amplifier circuit board only takes mono input despite having a chip capable of stereo output, so I'll replace that with a stereo-capable one (not technically historically accurate, but I'll live with it).
I'll add progress pictures as I go!
Sega Genesis games and accessories wanted. Loose only please. Boxes and manuals not needed. Condition needs to be Excellent/Very Good. Please see the picture below as an example.
Payment via PayPal. The values listed are what I am wanting to pay, shipping (to Oklahoma) included.
I also have a very nice copy of Demon's Crest for SNES available in trade. Let me know if that is of interest and I can send pictures.
Example of game condition wanted:
Alisia Dragoon ($40)
Championship Pro-Am ($5)
DJ Boy ($10)
Ecco the Dolphin ($5)
Ecco: The Tides of Time ($5)
Mystical Fighter ($40)
Street Fighter II Champion Edition ($10)
Tecmo Super Bowl ($5)
Wonder Boy in Monster World ($30)
3 button controller with red numbers ($10)
6 button MK-1470 turbo controller ($15)
Sega branded controller extension ($5)
*Would buy a matched pair also
I'm a Sega Genesis collector and only a hair's breadth away from a full CIB North American set. All I'm looking for now is a copy of Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama, specifically one with a good condition manual (a better condition box would be nice too, but the manual is the key part). If you have one and are willing to part with a copy, or have any leads on one, please let me know!
I'm willing to pay fair market price (negotiable) or to work out a trade from my growing collection of Genesis extras (I have a lot of stuff I'm in the process of selling off, most are complete & in good condition, inquire for better pics):
(N.A. residents are preferable for trades, international is always a hassle 😉)
Thank you for helping a fellow collector!
EDIT: Nevermind, found one!
While there are several collector's guides for games themselves, I've noticed there doesn’t seem to be a good list of console box variants anywhere. There is an old list on the Sega-16 forum from ~10 years ago, but it only covers some of the Genesis Model 2's variants, and unfortunately all of the image links are long-defunct. So I spent some time these past few weeks researching and putting together a list and images of all the variants for the North American Genesis models 1-3, CD model 1 & 2, 32X add-on, CDX, X’EYE, and Nomad that I could find. I’ll break this up into a few posts due to the number of images. Front and back images have been provided, where available.
Note: This should not be regarded as a complete list, I will update it as more are found/images provided, so please feel free to contribute!
Genesis Model 1
US Base System (No Pack-in) Variants
1) Base model – game not included, "The Core System" badge in bottom-right corner, “Join the 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner:
2) “Eternal Champions” sticker, "The Core System" badge in bottom-right corner, “Join the 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner. I was on the fence about including this one, it doesn’t really look like the kind of sticker Sega would slap on there before shipping to a store, but I could be wrong... I’m open to opinions about this:
US Game Pack-In Variants
1) “Arcade Hit! Altered Beast” badge on right side:
2) “Arcade Hit! Altered Beast” badge on right side, "Value Pak" badge on left side:
3) “Fighting System” (Streets of Rage 2) badge in bottom-right corner, “Leader of 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner, red/yellow background:
4) “Sonic System” badge in bottom-right corner, “Join the 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner:
5) “Sonic the Hedgehog” badge in bottom-right corner is a little bigger than the below variant, “Includes Inside” text at bottom-left is only one line, “Leader of 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner:
6) “Sonic the Hedgehog” badge in bottom-right corner is a little smaller than the above variant, “Includes Inside” text at bottom-left is two lines, “Leader of 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner:
7) “Sonic the Hedgehog” badge in bottom-right corner is smaller (like the above variant), “Includes Inside” text at bottom-left is two lines, “Leader of 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner, “Value Pak” sticker (box includes Columns & 2nd controller):
8.) Two carts included: “Sonic the Hedgehog” badge in bottom-right corner is bigger than the above variant, "Taz in Escape from Mars" badge on left, “Includes Inside” text at bottom-left is one line, “Leader of 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner, “Value Pak” sticker (box includes Columns & 2nd controller):
Canadian Base System (No Pack-in) Variants
1) English/French language, “The Core System ” badge in bottom-right corner, “Join the 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner, "$50 Rebate" sticker on the left:
2) English/French language, “The Core System ” badge in bottom-right corner, “Join the 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner, no "Rebate" sticker:
3) English/French language, blank box (no “Core”/”16-Bit Revolution” badges):
4) English/French language, blank box (no “Core”/”16-Bit Revolution” badges), yellow "$50 Rebate" sticker in bottom-right:
Canadian Game Pack-in Variants
1) “Arcade Hit! Altered Beast” badge on right side, English/French language:
2) English/French language, “The Sonic System ” badge in bottom-right corner, “Join the 16-Bit Revolution” badge in top-left corner:
3) English/French language, “Sonic The Hedgehog” badge in top-right corner:
Hello all! I've been collecting for Sega Genesis a while now and I've finally got around to listing a bunch of extras I've accumulated. I'm putting these for auction on eBay, but if you're interested in any of them and want to buy directly, shoot me a message and we can work out a deal (I'll save on fees, you'll save on tax 😉 ).
Battle Master BattleMaster -- CIB
BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat -- CIB
Beavis & Butt-Head -- CIB
Blades of Vengeance -- CIB
Bonanza Brothers -- CIB
Bubba 'N' Stix -- CIB
Chakan: The Forever Man -- CIB
Chuck Rock II 2 Son of Chuck -- CIB
Cyborg Justice -- CIB
Dashin' Desperados -- CIB
Disney's Aladdin -- CIB
General Chaos -- CIB
Kid Chameleon -- CIB
King of the Monsters 2 -- CIB
Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar -- CIB
Phantasy Star III -- CIB
Pier Solar and Great Architects -- CIB
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi -- CIB
Shining Force -- CIB
Shining in the Darkness -- CIB
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master -- CIB
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 -- CIB
Space Harrier II 2 -- CIB
Sword of Vermilion -- CIB
The Simpsons: Bart vs The Space Mutants -- CIB
Wiz 'n' Liz -- CIB
World of Illusion Mickey Mouse Donald Duck -- CIB
Back to the Future Part III -- Cart/Case
Batman: Revenge of the Joker -- Cart/Case
Fantasia -- Cart/Case
Midnight Resistance -- Cart/Case
Phantasy Star II 2 -- Cart/Case
Tinhead -- Cart/Case
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron -- Cart/Case
Toki: Going Ape Spit -- Cart/Case
Shining Force II -- Cart/Manual
Whip Rush -- Cart/Manual
Sega Genesis 32X
Metal Head -- Cart/Case
This is just the first small batch of a whole bunch of extras I'm letting go of, so I'll post here as more get listed. Thanks for looking!