IGNORED

Super Sunny World - NES Platfomer

matthughson

• 2 weeks later...

Today I would usually post my weekly "recap" of Super Sunny World, but the last week or so has been entirely dedicated to performance improvements which are hard to show. The game is running MUCH better, but it still struggles with 5+ enemies on screen.

Also, the cart hardware for "From Below Pocket" (the Game Boy port of my NES game, "From Below") is almost done, so I've started dedicating part of my time to finishing the print materials for that game. It's been mostly done since late 2022, but needs to be adjusted for final print specs.

But wait! There's more!
The key-art for Super Sunny World has been finalized, and I have kicked off a commission for the game's logo. I'll hopefully be able to share a mock-up of the box in the coming weeks, but for now here is a little tease of the key-art for the cover!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Are both of them going to ship as game only or just the total package like the old days?  The push Tetris mechanic there seems pretty solid from a picture or two I saw.   It would be interesting if it went more into the Tetris Blast style weeds of different pieces than the traditional 7.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Are both of them going to ship as game only or just the total package like the old days?  The push Tetris mechanic there seems pretty solid from a picture or two I saw.   It would be interesting if it went more into the Tetris Blast style weeds of different pieces than the traditional 7.

Both games will ship CIB.

You can play the NES version of From Below at www.frombelowgame.com if you're curious. The GB game is the same, with the addition of a Versus mode using the Link Cable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 7:37 AM, matthughson said:

Let me take you on a tour of World 1 of Super Sunny World! 🌞 

DEV UPDATE #11 IS HERE!

This looks phenomenal! I might have to make an exception to my "only buying homebrew games on Famicom format" to get this one when it comes out.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@matthughson- I just read your interview on NintendoLife and it reminded me to bump this topic and see how development was going on Super Sunny World!

https://www.nintendolife.com/features/meet-four-developers-making-brand-new-game-boy-titles-in-2024?utm_campaign=promoted-articles&utm_medium=homepage-listing&utm_source=timeextension.com

Things are going well, thanks for checking in!

I've finished all the levels in the game, and all of the core mechanics (enemies, moves, etc). Right now I am focused on BOSS FIGHTS, which is quite new to me, and going slow. But I think it will elevate the game quite a bit. After that, I need to do some metagame stuff (credits, menus, collectibles, etc), and they game should be done. Hoping to enter Beta sometime this summer!

I uploaded a short montage of gameplay a few months ago that shows snippets of the first 4 worlds or so.

• Like 2