IGNORED

Need help repairing MACS rifle

oops

I have a macs rifle and the military base cut the snes controller cable and the trigger switch cord out.

I have bought the proper cable for the snes cord and to wire to the trigger switch

the issue I am running into is finding the appropriate pins (assuming crimp style pin) to be able to affix the replacement cable to the snes controller plug.

My plan is to remove the male plug off a snes controller and affix to the newly wired cabling. the new wire is 22awg not sure if that matches normal snes controllers but that is what the macs uses.

So what I am asking for is if anyone can point me in the direction of the pins that need to get crimped onto the cabling so I can install the plug to the end of the cable.

I have another macs rifle so I will be able to match wiring and pinout that way. It is more just knowing what to buy.

E21EED32-4EE7-466A-858A-87C0139F6BF0.jpeg

C87DF1E3-E7F9-4224-A2F3-7EF635EE6C0D.jpeg

I would say to just run your wiring and then splice an actual SNES controller cable (or one from a clone controller) onto whatever little bit you extend out of the gun, solder the wires together, heat shrink each one individually, then heat shrink the whole thing where you made the splice.  No need to worry about finding the appropriate connector or crimping tool or anything else, as you'll already have it on the cable.  That's my $0.02.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I would say to just run your wiring and then splice an actual SNES controller cable (or one from a clone controller) onto whatever little bit you extend out of the gun, solder the wires together, heat shrink each one individually, then heat shrink the whole thing where you made the splice.  No need to worry about finding the appropriate connector or crimping tool or anything else, as you'll already have it on the cable.  That's my $0.02.

Its an option, but id rather have this restored closer to oem. 

The macs cord is grey vs snes black and having the two fuse together just seems like a hack job and will be visually obvious.

I can’t use a snes cable because the longer length required for the macs rifle.

a final option may be to buy a long third party one but it needs to be a 4 conductor and I am not sure what they are. 

I have already bought the cabling so the appropriate pins to be crimped would be my ideal solution to make it close to original.

3 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

OK yeah I might not be able to help you with that. Have you tried to look up the pin out on the male end for a super scope six? I have to assume it would be similar.

Well i have another macs so i can open it to get the pin out since its different than other light guns (macs rifles wont work with other lightgun games)

so where green goes etc I can just use my existing as a wiring diagram.

maybe I will have to try to uncrimp and recrimp the pins off the snes controller I will sacrifice. Was hoping to just buy new pins

Edited by oops

3 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Can you un-bend the wings off the terminals of another controller port? With a razor or something. 

Or, cut the wire an inch back and pull out the hairs from the middle until you can bend them out with needle nose pliers. 

Just Throwing some ideas out

I might have to remove and swap over. 

6 hours ago, drxandy said:

That's what I would do in your shoes, that way you get the original plug housing too.

Thanks! It helped to talk through it. This is the plan. I will remove the housing and pins from a sacrificial controller. Makes more sense then trying to source the pins and ill be taking apart the controller plug anyways.

• Like 1

Seriously find an electrical engineer (or maybe even try to email Ben Heck since he's worked a lot in electrical engineering and gaming and he does take interest in oddball stuff he's not worked with.)

You may not need him to repair this item, but knowing a plethora of details from chip types, to connectors are in his wheel house and he may be able to help you find the proper pins.

I can't believe how forgetful my mind is right now but I remember working somewhere on a job where we had these molex-type tips that had to be crimped and then shoved into a connector.  I know that  the ones we had were an odd shape and finding them was practically impossible so we had a limited supply for repairs and my boss told me to be super-careful and be sure I got it right when it was time to crimp and piece together together the connectors.  These might be a rarer type/shape, but the good news about living in a day and age of China shipping everything, even if it's rare, someone's probably duplicated it and shipped it.  Molex crimpers are actually quite common so a proper crimping tool is probably east to find too.

Anyway, if you don't want to try and reach Ben Heck, then maybe someone around here has a bit of electronics background and can help.  This type of crimped connection doesn't look that odd. They ones you should from Amazon look for a Molex connection, while the ones in an SNES connector our round-tips it seems because their function is different.

Anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for.  I'm sure it is out there, somewhere, but the key is finding the right person with the right knowledge on this, and that's likely to be an electric engineer or someone who's a long time, semi-pro hobbiest.

21 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

@SNESNESCUBE64would you by chance know what kind of connector these are that are used in SNES controller ports?

They were custom as far as I am aware. In the past when I needed something like that I always took parts from third party controllers. You might be able to find the pins, but I don't know the measurements. I do know you can buy the console end on ebay...

Thanks for all the help guys, i guess they are custom only way would be from someone who makes knockoff controllers or to steal from an authentic controller. I am going to try to remove and reuse from an existing controller.

I appreciate all the different input.

I am trying to make this repair as authentic as possible so re-using all first party components should be the best.

Edited by oops

• 1 month later...

Im going to roll the dice on some Molex Female .062 Pin connectors. I don't think it will be as easy to remove the pins as I hoped and I want to avoid solder/shrink tube.

EDIT: the .062" are too big, it looks like I need a .0475" (1.2mm). Approx from digital caliper. I can not find the smaller pins, also it looks too difficult to remove the pins off the wire after crimped. So I think my best bet may be mentioned above by stripped 1/2" of wire past the pin and solder onto the new cord.

Edited by oops

• 2 months later...

one issue I had was after completing the work there was tracking issues trying to get the light gun calibrated it would skip all over the screen. Of course i blamed my workmanship and re-did the Molex connectors at the light pen to cord. issue still existed so i soldered the cables together without molex connection. tracking still existed and found instruction for adjusting the potentiometer. After messing with the set screw I got the skipping resolved. 

it made mention of using an oscilloscope to specific settings and then dial to between 20-24 pulses but that is beyond my skillset and not sure who would have that equipment and know how locally.

at the end of the day the Macs is restored and working!

Social Team · Posted

Oscilloscopes are not too uncommon.  I would think most electronic repairs shows would have one.  I meant it's like $350 for a very decent model.  If you have the instruction manual I think it would be very easy for them to do this work for you.  There are some cheap ones available on Amazon (sub $100) but I have no idea if they are worth it given what you want to do.  

• Thanks 1