IGNORED

About the Explanation of Development Authorization for Star Keeper Branch Version

zxdplay

Thank you very much for your feedback. I believe that most people have misunderstood my concept of authorization, and I have to supplement the following explanation!

Please see the latest update on top

Edited by zxdplay
  • Like 1

Events Helper · Posted

@zxdplay,

I have briefly read over your updated post, and looks like it said you want to develop for star keeper and others as well.  I am at work and will sit down when I get home and look over it.

To build the IP up would take a long time, and to be honest, it might be worth your time to team up with someone like LRG to make, maybe a switch port or something.  This would help get the game noticed, thus creating better chances to boost your IP.  

Long story short, you know what you want out of this, we can't speak for you, and you ultimately need to make the decision of where to go.  

I don't know how LRG works, but I Imagine they have people who would be willing to talk to you and iron things out.  That being said, I can not speak on this, but maybe other devs who have worked with them can.

Either way you choose to go, I wish you the best of luck with it.

• Thanks 1

hey @zxdplay great post update. 

please, I beg of you, do not worry even remotely about what collectors paid for it in the past. Do not let it influence you one way or the other, anyone that Paid a premium for the game did it out of their own free will. 

do you what is best for you, whether that’s making money or distributing your game  to a wider audience.

Oh and keep an eye out Ive seen people joke about pirating it here and there (not sure how serious of a threat that is)

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

@zxdplay,

I have briefly read over your updated post, and looks like it said you want to develop for star keeper and others as well.  I am at work and will sit down when I get home and look over it.

To build the IP up would take a long time, and to be honest, it might be worth your time to team up with someone like LRG to make, maybe a switch port or something.  This would help get the game noticed, thus creating better chances to boost your IP.  

Long story short, you know what you want out of this, we can't speak for you, and you ultimately need to make the decision of where to go.  

I don't know how LRG works, but I Imagine they have people who would be willing to talk to you and iron things out.  That being said, I can not speak on this, but maybe other devs who have worked with them can.

Either way you choose to go, I wish you the best of luck with it.

Perhaps your advice is correct for most games, but Star Keeper is an exception.

I predict that creating value through NFT authorization is much greater than selling copies directly, which is beneficial for both myself and the community.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, zxdplay said:

I predict that creating value through NFT authorization is much greater than selling copies directly, which is beneficial for both myself and the community.

Thank you for your suggestion.

no problem, like I said I do truly wish you the best of luck.  maybe if you eventually decide to port to the switch or release the rom or anything I can have a chance to play the game.  I'll keep on the lookout for more and see what it is all about.

41 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

I predict that creating value through NFT authorization is much greater than selling copies directly

Can you explain why you feel that way? 

Edit: I read your explanation on the first post. Let's just say I wish you luck, but I think you're overestimating several things.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I bought an original copy of Star Keeper (second hand, for $$$) and love it, so first of all let me say thank you for making this game, it's great.

Also: I do not have any issue with a re-release of the game, and I would be absolutely thrilled if it happened. I would also be interested in any sale of the original code. If you offered to sell the rights to re-produce the original game, in ROM or physical, I know a ton of people, myself included, would be interested in purchasing those rights. We would all love to get this game out again.

I read through the thread so far and here's what pretty much everybody agrees on:

1. Everyone wants to play the game, especially those who haven't had the opportunity
  2. Everyone is also interested in a sequel or any other game produced by you
  3. Nobody is interested in a game produced by someone other than you just because it's in the Star Keeper "IP" or universe
  4. NFTs are crap

I think you should work with VGS and/or LRG, or set up a Kickstarter to make more copies of this game. I think you could charge a good amount of money and would sell a ton of copies with very little work (in the first two options)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

i must keep it secret🙂

I'm going to be straight. Unless your secret is "I have 10,000 more original Star Keeper cartridges in storage," I just don't see the IP being what you think it is. 

People were excited for Star Keeper because it was a new, good, NES game on a cartridge that worked on original hardware, not because a boy in a jetpack is the next Mario.

When you came back yesterday, people were more "He might make more of the original!" and not so much "He's going to make an entire Star Keeper Universe!"

But hey, I do hope it works out.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 2

I think I have an idea what he's thinking of, and maybe his method could work.  Maybe he does have a stash, doesn't seem like it, but we're not mind readers.

I will say though he probably is right LRG isn't a good choice.  The problem with those dumpy start ups is that they're not long term viable other than with the most die hard of collectors.  In perspective, outside of LRG with bestbuy/amazon keeping things in circulation for non-numbered releases they truly are a text book fart in the wind.  You have this short hype burst to buy a game or collectors upgrade, then what?  You wait 6mo ...2years maybe to get it?  After that it's done, long done and over, back into the obscurity of the unknown outside of other FOMO heads who missed out that'll pay stupid money to get scalped on ebay(or elsewhere) paying asinine sums to get the game.  Sound familiar?  Starkeeper is there now.  And it doesn't help him one bit.

A NFT probably would make more sense at least for awareness and growth than dealing with those FOMO peddlers where it really is an one and done.  That's why I made the suggestions I did and openly here, not cloak n dagger style with a PM to the guy.  That would help sell it sure, but it would also sustain it far better and help that product grow because it would stay out there, keep going, slowly growing.  Shantae long ago was the same one off, but wayforward stuck with it, slowly grew it, got people under them to help publish more entries digitally and physically and look how that continues to work out?  Starkeeper could be another Shantae, not some sorry limited LRG pander play that'll now set you back $100s of dollars from some private seller which benefits no one but that person and definitely not the author or gaming community.

5 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

I would like to ask a question: Do you want Star Keeper's pirated version to appear?

I'm 100% sure, that if I collaborate with a distributor, the ROM will appear and then piracy will follow.

Of the original game?

Or a new Star Keeper game?

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

I would like to ask a question: Do you want Star Keeper's pirated version to appear?

I'm 100% sure, that if I collaborate with a distributor, the ROM will appear and then piracy will follow.

I mean, from what I have seen I hear it is really pretty un pirateable lol.  people wouldn't be bugging you if it was, whatever you did you did it well!

8 minutes ago, zxdplay said:

While it is possible, the community that buys homebrew game is not interested in buying pirate homebrews. Our interest is in supporting the developer and publisher of original material. 

I would go out of my way to not buy a pirate and publicly or personally call that person out for their wrongdoings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, zxdplay said:

The current Star Keeper

Well, if you're worried about affecting collectors, don't be. Every original NES game got pirated, as did just about every homebrew. The original carts still hold their value.

As long as a new run is distinguishable from the original, most collectors won't care.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I mean, from what I have seen I hear it is really pretty un pirateable lol.  people wouldn't be bugging you if it was, whatever you did you did it well!

Yes, it is difficult to pirate, but if I give away the production method, it's hard to say.

• Agree 3

Administrator · Posted
Just now, zxdplay said:

The current Star Keeper

I can tell you with full confidence that people simply want to play the original Star Keeper game, one way or another. It may be exciting and appealing to make continuations, work on new stuff, etc., but what people already want is to play the game you already made.

It's a legit shame that doesn't seem to be something you're currently entertaining, and I personally would have no interest in playing sequels, off-shoots, or anything else in the "universe" without having access to that original experience.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1