IGNORED

Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 234/757

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

Ok, I'm finally finished counting on my fingers, and yes that takes us over 100. Lol, that puts you at the very top of the leaderboard @ExplodedHamster

Edit: I did some searching for Galahad, turns out it appears as Legend of Galahad on the Mega Drive game case. So I'm not sure if I should be a xenophobe and change it to the US title, or just leave it.

Edited by Splain

On 11/6/2021 at 9:33 PM, Splain said:

Ok, I'm finally finished counting on my fingers, and yes that takes us over 100. Lol, that puts you at the very top of the leaderboard @ExplodedHamster

Edit: I did some searching for Galahad, turns out it appears as Legend of Galahad on the Mega Drive game case. So I'm not sure if I should be a xenophobe and change it to the US title, or just leave it.

For whatever reason, iirc it's only on the packaging that they shortened the title.  The title screen had it as The Legend of Galahad.  I could be mistaken though...my copy is a LONG way away from me at the moment.

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 129/757
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 132/757
  • 2 months later...

Got a few maybe beats for you, @Splain

I played Blockout and got 1025 cubes played and 81,739 for a score with the default Flat cubes on the default play field. There doesn't seem to be a leaderboard for this game, nor is there a campaign or anything. It's just...press Start and play Blockout. However, there are different block sets and play field sizes.

XHnxeQIm.jpg

I also played one game each of NBA Jam...

NAfB06zm.jpg

and NBA Jam Tournament Edition.

v704fZEm.jpg

Both of these games do have leaderboards, but no season, playoffs, or tournament mode...despite one being named Tournament Edition. Is one game enough, or should the completion requirement be to top the leaderboards?

On a side note, man, I don't know if it's the hit detection or the camera angle, but pushing people down in NBA Jam is a lot harder than I remember it being. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beat Warsong/Langrisser I. Real early Strategy JRPG and definitely feels its age.

The game has both permanent units and buyable single chapter grunt units (maximum 8 per permanent unit deployed) that get stat bonuses when near the permanent unit that hired them. Real neat idea, although it definitely contributes, along with save-and-reset and no speeding up battle animations, to many chapters really dragging on - it’s probably a good thing that there are only 20 Chapters total.

The lack of information on how your attack may actually go is really annoying here. In addition to attack and defense stats with damage dealt decreasing more or less proportionately as a unit loses HP, there’s class advantages in taking damage, dealing damage, and different classes attack at different points in the battle; some kind of bonus for being at a higher level; some terrain effects; and just outright a pretty big role for the RNG. The sheer number of factors at play really work against being able to easily gauge how any given battle is likely to turn out - and then the RNG can still screw you. Calais is an unusually severe case due to her low Defense but I’ve seen her walk out of completely identical combats going from the full 10 HP to either 9 or 1 more than once depending just on how the dice rolls shook out.

Fire Emblem-style permadeath is here too and it’s completely inappropriate given the ridiculously unclear damage algorithm discussed above. Worse, outside of 1 late temp who sticks around for a bit, your permanent units are pretty much limited to 8 people for 8 deployment slots on most maps from midgame onwards - meaning a single death of one of them is basically a permanent nerf of your army’s power with no replacements available. Accepting a death and continuing onward just doesn’t feel like a viable option - but admittedly, I don’t think it was meant to be one either.

See, they do include a completely unrestricted mid-chapter “Interruption” save (distinct from your 2 main save files) that mitigates the above issues. For games like this, it’s generally a nice option to have but better to not have to rely on it much. But, while I’m sure you could beat the game without it, the aforementioned problems mean not relying on the Interruption save leaves you at their mercy. And that kind of sucks.

It has reasonable graphics - having each point of health being a single person in the battle animations was a particularly neat touch but I still would have really appreciated BEING ABLE TO SKIP BATTLE ANIMATIONS. There’s a decent soundtrack but one that seemed very low in number of songs. The story is pretty much just the original Fire Emblem but probably even blander and less verbose - the first chapter was a neat touch though. I could see this game being pretty decent, maybe even good, if they fixed every problem - a lot of which boils down to the QoL being bad. But what we’ve actually got with this one just seems below average. Sequels could have potential though. 4/10

531236D2-69E4-432B-AAA0-4790E751D2B9.jpeg

Edited by MagusSmurf
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 142/757
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, Multiplat Cat said:

Does this competition include Outback Joey? 😛

It's not on the list, so likely not.  I did, however, take a look to see why it wasn't on the list, and the fact that it requires an exercise bike to play kinda precludes 99.9% of us from playing it in any capacity 😛

High Seas Havoc completed.

This has always been one of my favorites ( not to sound like Richard Christy lol ) in spite of its issues and weirdness.  This might have been the first time I've actually beaten the game sans any save states ( you do get infinite continues though ).  The last 2 bosses are a fun time.

highseashavoc.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Redmond said:

Hook is finished.

Yeah, wasn't really a fan of this one, remember having a better time with the SNES version but that was probably a decade+ ago.  I did like that they included the part where the fat kid rolls down the stairs.

I've been planning to play through this one on Sega CD for a little bit now.  Played the first level or two and liked it well enough, and of course the music is awesome because all sega cd music is awesome....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, LHCGreg said:

What's the win condition for "Pirates! Gold"? I just started and it seems like an open-ended game with no ending except when your pirate gets old and you retire?

I would assume similar to the NES.  Retire with the highest rank.  This would typically entail finding your family, but can be done without if you score enough points elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I would assume similar to the NES.  Retire with the highest rank.  This would typically entail finding your family, but can be done without if you score enough points elsewhere.

Looks like I have some work to do then. I finished my first game with a score of 17/100. I picked my nationality and time period randomly and I think I got what might be the worst combination: being Spanish in the earliest period when Spain is dominant. It's hard to be a pirate when nearly all the ships and towns are allied. I relied on treasure maps for income but that couldn't keep crews happy for too long. I rescued one family member, found the Incan treasure, reached the rank of Colonel, and married a "shrewish thing".

3 hours ago, LHCGreg said:

Looks like I have some work to do then. I finished my first game with a score of 17/100. I picked my nationality and time period randomly and I think I got what might be the worst combination: being Spanish in the earliest period when Spain is dominant. It's hard to be a pirate when nearly all the ships and towns are allied. I relied on treasure maps for income but that couldn't keep crews happy for too long. I rescued one family member, found the Incan treasure, reached the rank of Colonel, and married a "shrewish thing".

It's not so bad if you work against the Spanish.  You can take ports and install governors from other nations so you can have a base, and then raid the Spanish ships, the silver train and the merchant fleet at will.

Pirates! Gold is done now if we're going by the 100 points condition. I played in 1640 as a French privateer this time. This run went much better now that I know what I'm doing. I got letters of marque from France, England, and Holland, and for most of the game I balanced my time between raiding Spanish towns, rescuing family members, and returning to French/English/Dutch towns to rank up, digging up buried treasure if it was along the way, and attacking any Spanish ships I came across. About 80% through the game when I was still a few ranks away from Duke, everyone made peace with Spain, leaving me without an easy way to rank up. After a bit, war broke out between Holland and England and one of the Dutch towns had a highest-tier governor's daughter so I turned on England and did a few last raids as age started to catch up to me, reached Duke, got married, divvied up the booty and increased the difficulty to increase my share of the Incan treasure, dug it up, and retired.

I ended as English Marquis, French Marquis, and Dutch Duke with 117,340 gold pieces and 6550 acres of land, and all 10 quests complete.

pirates_gold.jpg.428c9b1559bdc9dd15cc72235f935f62.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1