IGNORED

Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 234/757

Splain

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I would say any of the hockey games should have the goal of winning the Stanley Cup, whether or not the season is played.  Usually I sim the season, then pick a team and play out the playoffs.  I can't speak for '95, but in '96 through '98, you could pick to play as any team at any time, so you could literally sim to the Stanley Cup final if you wanted, but while I feel like 82 games plus playoffs is a bit much, four games isn't too much to ask of anyone.  

OK.  I'm in.  I will play as the Quebec Nordiques and play through a full Stanley Cup Playoff (7 games series).  In '94 there is no season mode so no need to simulate.

Settings:

• 7 Game Series
  • Manual Goalie
  • Manual Line Changes
  • 5 min periods

Quebec Nordiques go for the Stanely Cup!

I will play a game or two tonight and keep everyone updated as I progress through the playoffs.

Go Nordiques!

596px-Quebec_Nordiques_Logo.svg.png

3 hours ago, aarthurn said:

OK.  I'm in.  I will play as the Quebec Nordiques and play through a full Stanley Cup Playoff (7 games series).  In '94 there is no season mode so no need to simulate.

Settings:

• 7 Game Series
  • Manual Goalie
  • Manual Line Changes
  • 5 min periods

Quebec Nordiques go for the Stanely Cup!

I will play a game or two tonight and keep everyone updated as I progress through the playoffs.

Go Nordiques!

596px-Quebec_Nordiques_Logo.svg.png

Nice!  It's kinda sad that they had to move to Colorado just as they were getting good.  That fleecing of Philly was insane...although the last key of that puzzle was Roy, and he never would've been traded to the bleu et blanc if they didn't move, so who knows what could've been.  Good luck man!

Was fun watching all those years of Avs v. Wings.  Also maybe it was drafting Lindros that ultimately got them Forsberg that pushed them to the top. 

--‐------

Here is the update.

Accidentally played one game in regular mode and beat Pittsburgh 5-2....

Then started for real.  Thoroughly outplayed the Penguins for the first 2 games in Pittsburgh but lost both by one (3-2 and 2-1)  When the series shifted back to Quebec I came out sluggish and lost 6-1.  All the Penguin's goals were from Mario or Jagr...  down 3-0 in the series we had to dig deep to avoid elimination and dominated 7-3.

So heading back to Pittsburgh I'm down 3-1 in the series.   So there is hope but it will be tough. 

I chose Pittsburgh as my opponent  since I find them to be the toughest.  Better to lose in the first round and start again then or would be in the Conference Finals. 

Will keep you posted. 

Crazy and fun series...  

Came back from 2-0 to win 3-2 in Game 5.  Won 3-0 in game 6.

Game 7 was stressful back in Pittsburgh.   Went down 2-0 early in the 1st period.   Clawed my way back even with 30 seconds left in the third and scored the series winning goal in the first minute of overtime. 

I've been playing this game since 1994 and that might have been the most fun I've ever had playing single player. 

Will meet Montreal in a battle of Quebec in Round 2....  

Into the Stanley Cup Finals....

Montreal went up 2-1 in the series but 3 straight Quebec wins took care of them.

Faced the Islanders in the Conference Finals and they went down without much of a fight.  Game 2 went to double OT but other than that the sweep was uneventful and ended in game 4 with a 6-0 shutout.

Will be Quebec vs. Detroit in the Cup Finals.  I'll post a picture of the Cup celebration if I manage to win.

Has been a lot of fun..

• Like 1

I've made a few completions that no one has claimed in the year since my last post in this thread...

10/18/20 Frogger - I reached the loop point. Part of the great Frogger revival of the late 90s that nobody asked for. Unlike the SNES version's new (ugly) visual style and new (worse) stage layouts, this attempts to be representative of the original arcade game. There's a distinct loop point, stages repeat after level 11 (to the best of my memory). Further loops can be characterized as "faster with more snakes."

10/25/20 Phantasy Star II - A good one, even if the story is overpraised (there's hardly any story scenes in the game...), and the dungeon layouts are obnoxious. Give me the first-person dungeons of the original any day. Also, like the first Final Fantasy on NES, the infinitely-reusable spellcasting equipment pieces should be abused as much as possible. I was able to finish the game with my party's levels at 25-26 by relying on those for healing.

10/25/20 Barbie Super Model - No comment.

03/28/21 Art of Fighting - Plays pretty different from the Neo Geo game. Obviously you wouldn't be able to do the crazy scaling on a vanilla Genesis cart, but the gameplay has been rebalanced to weaken special attacks, lessening the focus on your energy meter, powering up, and taunting. A weird port.

05/09/21 Ariel: The Little Mermaid - What a sloppy, janky game.

05/16/21 Splatterhouse 3 - Got the best ending. Abandoning the Kung Fu-ish single plane action of the first two, part 3 redefines itself as a brawler (as was the style at the time). By brawler I mean two planes of movement and enemies that usually require engaging more than once to put away for good, so that managing your position relative to your enemies is a major aspect of moment-to-moment play. So, a beat-em-up. You know what I mean. I thought it was pretty good. My major issue seems to come down to changes made in localization. Supposedly your regular attacks were nerfed, and your oh-shit-get-off-me spin kick move was seriously boosted. Meaning, if you want to complete each stage within the time limit (which is required for better endings), you pretty much have to spam your spin kick for 90% of the game, which is pretty dull. I'd like to try the Japanese release some time.

frogg.jpg

psii.jpg

barbg.jpg

aofg.jpg

ariel.jpg

splat3.jpg

Edited by John198X
  • Like 3

Well, I beat King's Bounty on Normal difficulty.  Wasn't an easy game even then, except that I managed to randomly guess the location of the staff, thus ending the game without much effort.  I made a ton of mistakes and still got it done in around 250 days of game time, and the difficulty only affects the length of game time (the highest difficulty is only 200 days)...there is no different ending no matter how much of the map you've uncovered, how many items are found, or whether you even beat the boss.  I'd recommend checking the game out.  It's fun, and has a ton of replay value due to the entire game being RNG based (random location for the staff, towns hold random spells, enemies are in random castles, etc).  It's not gonna crack many top 10 lists, but it's a solid hidden gem.

• Like 2

And we can scratch off Jeopardy: Deluxe Edition.  The CPU has a major flaw that I noticed in Final Jeopardy though.  Any time they get a wrong answer, they input XXX, and for whatever reason, they decided to show their input, meaning that unless the answer is 3 characters long, you will know if your competition got the answer right or not.  And if you happen to be in the lead, you know whether or not to wager big.  But hey, that's just an immersion issue...the game itself, aside from category repeats every now and then, is a solid representation of the actual game of Jeopardy, and the questions are tough enough to make you feel smart, while also not being so tough that you feel lucky to get one right.  Solid, not spectacular.

Side note - @Splain, if you get a chance, could you update the list?  Aside from my three completions, we have a few more since the last one...I'd hate for someone new to pop in, beat a game or two, and find out they've already been done.  Slim odds at this point, what with ~650 games to pick from, but it's possible.  No pressure or anything if you're busy, I know you usually get it pretty quick.  Just tagging you in case you forgot the thread 😛

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 93/757
Editorials Team · Posted
On 8/18/2021 at 7:14 AM, aarthurn said:

For Truxton what's the thought on difficulty continues?

Choose the Normal difficulty, continues are allowed.

On 8/20/2021 at 2:20 PM, John198X said:

I've made a few completions that no one has claimed in the year since my last post in this thread...

10/18/20 Frogger - I reached the loop point. Part of the great Frogger revival of the late 90s that nobody asked for. Unlike the SNES version's new (ugly) visual style and new (worse) stage layouts, this attempts to be representative of the original arcade game. There's a distinct loop point, stages repeat after level 11 (to the best of my memory). Further loops can be characterized as "faster with more snakes."

Nice job, I had looked at Frogger earlier in the year and didn't find an ending or a real loop point. I'll add this as the requirement, for future generations.

30 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Side note - @Splain, if you get a chance, could you update the list?  Aside from my three completions, we have a few more since the last one...I'd hate for someone new to pop in, beat a game or two, and find out they've already been done.  Slim odds at this point, what with ~650 games to pick from, but it's possible.  No pressure or anything if you're busy, I know you usually get it pretty quick.  Just tagging you in case you forgot the thread 😛

Thanks for the ping, there were way more clears than I thought there were. We're nearing 100!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Splain said:

Nice job, I had looked at Frogger earlier in the year and didn't find an ending or a real loop point. I'll add this as the requirement, for future generations.

Yeah, on the right side of the screen there's a stage counter. Green circles? Eggs? Lilypads? I can't tell what they are supposed to be. Anyway, after clearing the 11th stage, the counter resets to one and the marks become blue. The game slows back down and reduces the number of cars, but now has snakes from the beginning.

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 94/757
Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Don't forget my Vapor Trail clear! 🙂 Maybe you overlooked that one because I initially beat it on Easy before editing my post to note that I did the other difficulty levels.

OOF

No, I uhh, didn't forget at all! Look again!

• Haha 2

Better late than never! 🙂

I'm thinking of tackling an RPG or something...just not sure which one.  Dungeons & Dragons, Might & Magic, and both Uncharted Waters games are leading the pack right now for me.  Also considering another run through Starflight, but it's tough to get into a game like that when I've already beat it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 98/757

Awesome. Just beat Decapattack for the first time. This is becoming one of my favorites. Love the soundtrack! Picked this up along with Phelios at Too Many Games.

(Also just beat Aladdin for the first time tonight. But that was already beaten)

Edit: Adding 1 more - Fire Shark

20211017_182307.jpg

20211018_003848.jpg

Edited by acromite53

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 99/757
On 10/23/2021 at 8:33 PM, Splain said:

That's 99 games... who gets #100?

Well, I can add a number here lol.

Apologies, as I have not been taking photos, but since late 2019, I can add:

Arcus Odyssey
Blades of Vengeance
Cadash