IGNORED

Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 234/757

Splain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally made it over to this forum. Here's what I have for Genesis in the last few months:

image.png.4f74b11a3f835d030b0eb283f09dd204.png

04/05/20 - Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

My first exposure to Ys was renting the SNES version of this and finding it incomprehensible. I later came to really like 1 & 2 on the Wii Virtual Console, but I was still hesitant to give this one a try in 2020. Pleasant surprise - I really like this too. So much so, that I've played through it three times this year (TurboGrafx, Genesis, and SNES). While I find the TGX version's voice acting charming, the Genesis is still probably the best one. The SNES is pretty dire in comparison - the worst gameplay balance and by far the worst music (a true crime).

image.png.e539c16305b166fe345be067045563f2.png

08/14/20 - Menacer

Had this as kid. Played this time with a Wii Remote as a light gun substitute. What a low effort affair. You know you're not in for much when the title screen music track just continues playing throughout 5 of the 6 games (the ToeJam & Earl one actually has it's own music! ... lifted directly from TJ&E...). To back up the victory conditions, Rockman's Zone, Front Line, and Pest Control do seem to stop adding new elements after the first handful of rounds. I'd say Space Station Defender actually has 4 distinct, but similar, rounds that increase in difficulty (barely). But, for any normal retrogame player, you're very likely to see all there is to see on your first attempt at any of these first four minigames. Whack Ball definitely has 5 looping stages, which I actually found kinda difficult until I got lucky with powerups. Ready, Aim, Tomatoes is definitely the meatiest thing here. I'd agree it seems to start reusing stages somewhere in the low double digits (probably late teens or around 20). Difficult to tell without analyzing a video or something.

image.png.8fe33b919a9f100b356057b043c9dcd6.png

08/23/20 - ToeJam & Earl

Also had as a kid. Played through a randomized game (default option). Pretty easy to get through now having actual context for rougelike elements. Very charming.

image.png.4c5e35e04a0f9363b31525e9562dc85d.png

08/24/20 - Wonder Boy in Monster World

The previous Monster World game, Dragon's Trap / Curse, is another favorite I got into through Wii VC. And this sequel is totally a step down... but it's still good.

Edited by John198X
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 69/757
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 70/757

I just finished a season of College Football USA '97. My Nebraska Cornhuskers went 13-0 and won the National Championship, smoking Florida State 56-10 in the Sugar Bowl. Considering how much pain Bobby Bowden's 'Noles put on my Huskers back in the day, that really felt good.

I actually used to play the crap out of this one back in the day, and I still knew it pretty well despite not playing much of it in the last 15 or more years. I might go back and play the other EA football games, but I don't know if I'll bother with playing full seasons on the other games.

@Splain

Any idea when you can next update the available/beaten games post?

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 71/757

I just played through a game of Risk. It really only has a single-game mode. It does have the option of a standard game vs arcade style, but it's been so long since I last played this that I don't really remember the difference between the game modes. I played on standard, with the maximum number of players (6). Since I hadn't played it in years, I played one CPU on the highest difficulty, one on the medium difficulty, and the other three on beginner. And it was actually the hard CPU who rubbed out the beginners early and nearly rolled to victory.

I'll put it to the judge, @Splain. Do you want to require that I play through both game options? Do I need to play against all difficult CPU players?

Editorials Team · Posted
On 11/6/2020 at 9:04 PM, nerdynebraskan said:

I just played through a game of Risk. It really only has a single-game mode. It does have the option of a standard game vs arcade style, but it's been so long since I last played this that I don't really remember the difference between the game modes. I played on standard, with the maximum number of players (6). Since I hadn't played it in years, I played one CPU on the highest difficulty, one on the medium difficulty, and the other three on beginner. And it was actually the hard CPU who rubbed out the beginners early and nearly rolled to victory.

I'll put it to the judge, @Splain. Do you want to require that I play through both game options? Do I need to play against all difficult CPU players?

Nah, it doesn't look like the two game modes are different enough to require them both. And I think as long as one of the opponents is set to Hard, then that's enough. I'd be shocked if there were some special ending or something for doing more than that.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:06 PM, nerdynebraskan said:

I just finished a season of College Football USA '97. My Nebraska Cornhuskers went 13-0 and won the National Championship, smoking Florida State 56-10 in the Sugar Bowl. Considering how much pain Bobby Bowden's 'Noles put on my Huskers back in the day, that really felt good.

I actually used to play the crap out of this one back in the day, and I still knew it pretty well despite not playing much of it in the last 15 or more years. I might go back and play the other EA football games, but I don't know if I'll bother with playing full seasons on the other games.

@Splain

Any idea when you can next update the available/beaten games post?

Ever played 96? Its one of few games that has defied Sega-16 for seven years running. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 6:18 PM, Andykin Skysk8r said:

Ever played 96? Its one of few games that has defied Sega-16 for seven years running. 

Funny you should ask! I was still in the mood for EA college football on the Genesis, and I started my first-ever season of College Football USA '96 about a week ago. As of tonight, I have completed my regular season at a perfect 12-0. I still need to play (and probably win) the Fiesta Bowl to claim the National Championship, but I'm quite confident that will happen for several reasons:

1. The game is nearly identical to CFB USA '97, which I mentioned previously is a game I used to play the crap out of.

2. I have the privilege of playing with maybe the greatest team of all time. EA's '96 game actually features the rosters of 1995, so I'm playing with the legendary '95 Nebraska Huskers. The "Team Matchups" option at the start of every game measures the strength of a team at every position and gives them a score between 1 and 100. My Huskers are no weaker than 89 at any position group, and are a perfect 100 at several positions including quarterback. Tommie Frazier. Brook Berringer. Lawrence Phillips. Ahman Green (is third string!). Grant Wistrom.

3. Parity has struck in my season, and I'll be playing for a championship against... a 10-2 Colorado State that somehow rose to #4 in the final regular season poll. #2 Penn State and #3 Oregon are in the Rose Bowl, because the pre-BCS bowl arrangements were really screwy. But they both have losses already, and I'm still undefeated. I just have to curb-stomp an overmatched pretender from the WAC.

I'm legitimately curious why this game has gone unbeaten so many times in other competitions. Was I the only one who played the late EA college football games? I don't think these games are even especially hard.

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 11:17 PM, nerdynebraskan said:

Funny you should ask! I was still in the mood for EA college football on the Genesis, and I started my first-ever season of College Football USA '96 about a week ago. [...]

I'm legitimately curious why this game has gone unbeaten so many times in other competitions. Was I the only one who played the late EA college football games? I don't think these games are even especially hard.

The Sega-16 effort is one continuous thing that's been extended since its first year, so it's only gone unbeaten there "once", so to speak (though similar efforts at SegaAge and the German website CiBo have also seen CFU '96 go unbeaten).

As to why, I don't think it's anything about the game, but just the random vagaries of what people happen to have and/or are willing to play. At Sega-16 we've had people who are willing to take on most tennis games (me) or golf games (Night Driver), but other genres are spottier.

Both at Sega-16 and here at VGS (and back at NA), I've finished off a few games that turned out to be pretty easy, but lingered for a while because no one wanted to deal with them or knew how they worked. I'm sure you've done the same. 🙂

If you're up to beat CFU '96 and post your win to Sega-16, that'd be great! We've got two other completions that are just awaiting a post, so that'd actually put us at 25 unbeaten Genesis games left.

Edited by bronzeshield

Hmm... I don't know if I want to sign up for another forum at this time, but I'll consider it.

I did finish College Football USA '96 today. My Huskers capped a 13-0 season with a 56-14 romp over Colorado State in the Fiesta Bowl. Quarterback Tommie Frazier also won the "MVP" award, since EA apparently didn't have the rights to use the name of the Heisman Trophy, after scoring 41 total touchdowns on the season.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 9:46 PM, nerdynebraskan said:

Hmm... I don't know if I want to sign up for another forum at this time, but I'll consider it.

I did finish College Football USA '96 today. My Huskers capped a 13-0 season with a 56-14 romp over Colorado State in the Fiesta Bowl. Quarterback Tommie Frazier also won the "MVP" award, since EA apparently didn't have the rights to use the name of the Heisman Trophy, after scoring 41 total touchdowns on the season.

Congrats dude!

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 73/757

I beat the following this year:

Crusade of Centy - The main character is named Corona. A game ahead of its time!

DecapAttack - Lots of charm but got old before it finished.

Ecco - The Tides of Time - It was decent. Interested to see where the 3D game takes this franchise.

Ecco the Dolphin  - I totally dig Welcome to the Machine's cruelty but you really, really shouldn't have to play it again if you lose to the final boss. That's just dumb.

QuackShot Starring Donald Duck - Good; preferred it to the Mickey Illusion games.

Tiny Toon Adventures - Buster's Hidden Treasure - I've played the first Tiny Toons games on NES, Game Boy, Genesis, and SNES. None quite managed to be good. You'd expect better from Konami. The levels designs in this one were often pretty whatever and the game lasted too long and kinda dragged.

oh hey, Mickey's Ultimate Challenge. Never played the Genesis version. Might as well knock that out aaaaaand it's done. The SNES version is generally better.

Would be several more if easy mode completions were allowed.

For general Mega Drive completion, I also beat Battle Mania Daiginjou.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I forgot this thread existed. 

I beat Joe & Mac on 12/12/20. Sorry, didn't take a picture.

On 12/29/20 I beat Bare Knuckle 3 on normal difficulty. Not sure if you'll count that one. I got the ending where I saved the president before the bombs went off. & I defeated Neo X but after the timer expired.

I'll be trying to beat some more. Currently working on Thunder Fox and Task Force Harrier off and on.

20201229_202254.jpg

Edited by acromite53

Editorials Team · Posted
6 hours ago, acromite53 said:

On 12/29/20 I beat Bare Knuckle 3 on normal difficulty. Not sure if you'll count that one. I got the ending where I saved the president before the bombs went off. & I defeated Neo X but after the timer expired.

Yeah, I remember we were discussing this at the end of 2019 (page 4 of this thread) and apparently there's a different ending if you save the president AND defeat Neo X before the countdown finishes. So we just need to decide how stingy we want to be about requirements/good endings.

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 75/757
2 hours ago, Splain said:

Yeah, I remember we were discussing this at the end of 2019 (page 4 of this thread) and apparently there's a different ending if you save the president AND defeat Neo X before the countdown finishes. So we just need to decide how stingy we want to be about requirements/good endings.

Thats fine to require the good ending. I may go try and get the good ending again. In my bad ending, the city got nuked lol.

BTW just beat Streets of Rage 4. Awesome game! This credits theme is chill.

Edited by acromite53

• 1 month later...
Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, RetroMichel said:

Why is this thread not active anymore ? I would like to beat some of these Genny gems !

Go for it! This thread just doesn't have the same sense of urgency as it would if there were a time limit. But I've also got a stack of games I want to get through, I bought a Nomad a while back and I've hardly used it!

• 1 month later...