Jump to content
IGNORED

Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 129/757


Splain
 Share

Recommended Posts

I bought the Japanese version of Streets of Rage 3 and it came in this week. Great game! The controls feel so fluid. Going back to SOR 2 right afterwards was painful. I never realized how stiff and slow that game was. Also the SOR 3 soundtrack fits so well when playing. I dont know if you'll count this one or not. I beat it on Normal difficulty. Which I guess gets you a bad ending.

20191207_190104.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, acromite53 said:

I bought the Japanese version of Streets of Rage 3 and it came in this week. Great game! The controls feel so fluid. Going back to SOR 2 right afterwards was painful. I never realized how stiff and slow that game was. Also the SOR 3 soundtrack fits so well when playing. I dont know if you'll count this one or not. I beat it on Normal difficulty. Which I guess gets you a bad ending.

Have you played the US version? It's brutal (as someone who isn't good at beat 'em ups). I don't know how different the JP version is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Japanese version is definitely easier. I think the enemies roughly give twice as much damage in the US version and the characters have been rebalanced. Also, the US version has some mild censorship, iirc. The female enemies no longer wear such revealing dresses and a certain enemy has been changed since that one was kinda offensive.

Anyway, I just beat Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the first time. Since I didn't know which difficulty to pick I chose "professional". But somehow the second run through the game was much easier. I guess this was partially thanks to the Goddess' Bracelet? This weapon was really useful in this game and not once did I want to give it away.

Ghouls n Ghosts.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

The Japanese version is definitely easier. I think the enemies roughly give twice as much damage in the US version and the characters have been rebalanced. Also, the US version has some mild censorship, iirc. The female enemies no longer wear such revealing dresses and a certain enemy has been changed since that one was kinda offensive.

 

Yep that's why i chose to buy the Japanese version instead. They messed this one up when bringing it to the US. Why tf did they change Axel's shirt to yellow and Blaze's to white? What is the point of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted
On 12/10/2019 at 1:40 AM, acromite53 said:

I bought the Japanese version of Streets of Rage 3 and it came in this week. Great game! The controls feel so fluid. Going back to SOR 2 right afterwards was painful. I never realized how stiff and slow that game was. Also the SOR 3 soundtrack fits so well when playing. I dont know if you'll count this one or not. I beat it on Normal difficulty. Which I guess gets you a bad ending.

I looked it up and found this:

"If you want the canon and best ending, play on normal or hard, save the Chief before he dies, and destroy the final robot before the countdown finishes."

So Normal is fine if you save the chief and beat the robot fast enough. There are apparently a couple of worse endings too. I think the good ending should be required, thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis game - 38/693
40 minutes ago, Splain said:

I looked it up and found this:

"If you want the canon and best ending, play on normal or hard, save the Chief before he dies, and destroy the final robot before the countdown finishes."

So Normal is fine if you save the chief and beat the robot fast enough. There are apparently a couple of worse endings too. I think the good ending should be required, thoughts?

Thanks for looking that up. I had no idea those were requirements. That's what is so cool about the game. There is a lot of depth. I can give it another shot over the weekend but I dont remember a robot or chief lol. I'll have to look up a playthrough for help. 

What do you think about Castlevania Bloodlines? Doesnt beating it on normal say "Try on expert difficulty"? Does that constitute a bad ending? The only difference on expert is a line of text saying congratulations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2019 at 1:04 PM, Gaia Gensouki said:

 

Anyway, I just beat Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the first time. Since I didn't know which difficulty to pick I chose "professional". But somehow the second run through the game was much easier. I guess this was partially thanks to the Goddess' Bracelet? This weapon was really useful in this game and not once did I want to give it away.

 

Nice work! Did you have a lot of difficulty beating it? In February, I played through and beat it but had a really tough time getting through it. It would have been on the default difficulty. I remember on the flying bug/wasp boss, I think I was stuck with a shitty weapon which made the fight close to impossible. I remember it requiring so many hits that I either couldn't kill him in time, or I would die because of the useless weapon doing no damage. So what I did was intentionally jump into one of his bullets which would bounce me backwards and over the left wall/column out of the boss arena area. From here I was out of bounds and I could keep hitting him without being in range. He couldn't teleport to where I was. It took forever but I eventually got it. I wish I remember more details of it. But that was the only way I could beat him with that weapon.

Edited by acromite53
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks. Yeah, I was struggling quite a bit in certain levels. 2A, 4B and 5B were especially challenging and required many tries. The boss in level 4 was probably the hardest too since he takes so many hits and constantly attacks you from all directions. The two worms that came from him also moved quite erratically. Overall it seemed to me that this game relied a bit more on randomness than, say, SGnG on the SNES. But it was still a fun.

Btw. I also beat Snow. Bros MD. This is a fun Bubble Bobble clone featuring 70 levels and a boss battle every 10 levels. I left it on the default settings which were easy and 3 lives. The only other difficulty was hard, but judging from let's plays the ending seems to be the same in both modes.

Snow Bros.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

 

Btw. I also beat Snow. Bros MD. This is a fun Bubble Bobble clone featuring 70 levels and a boss battle every 10 levels. I left it on the default settings which were easy and 3 lives. The only other difficulty was hard, but judging from let's plays the ending seems to be the same in both modes.

 

What are you playing on, out of curiosity? Flashcart, emulator, real cart, mega sg? That's great video quality. I need a Mega SG someday. 

That game looks cool. But holy cow, people are asking $1,000?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

What are you playing on, out of curiosity? Flashcart, emulator, real cart, mega sg? That's great video quality. I need a Mega SG someday.

If possible I play on my Japanese Mega Drive Mini, which contains MUSHA, Slap Fight MD, GnG and Snow Bros, among others. So the screens from those games were from that system. Then I also have various MD collections for various consoles. If a game is on none of those collections I resort to an emulator. Honestly, I don't even own a Mega Drive and given the current prices I am not really tempted to buy one, especially since most of the good or interesting games tend to be really pricey nowadays.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted

Is Snow Bros a JPN exclusive? I can't find anything on a US release.

@nerdynebraskan I went ahead and marked Beavis n Butthead beaten. I doubt anyone feels strongly about the couch fishing being done in a certain way lol.

@bronzeshield I'm a little surprised to see Shove It on the list of never-beaten games, it looks like it's just a Sokoban game. Have people tried at at Sega 16? Does it just get really tough?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Snow Bros. for the Mega Drive is indeed a JPN exclusive.

Shove It looks exactly like Soukoban, i.e. judging from the screenshots the levels are exactly the same. Maybe I'll give it a try someday, unless someone else tries it first. But from my experience Soukoban gets pretty difficult pretty quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted

I was messing around in it on my phone during a boring meeting. It looks like each "stage" has 10 puzzles, and you get a password for every level, so every 10 puzzles. Well, it also lets you skip to the last puzzle in every level, so I did that until I got to stage 4. I skipped to 4-10, finished it, and it didn't give me a password. That level is now also greyed out. I assume I need to do more of the puzzles to advance to the next stage. And yeah, I recognize a lot of these levels. I'll poke at it for a while, maybe if I get too stuck, I'll post my legitimately-reached password on here for someone else to pick up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Splain said:

Is Snow Bros a JPN exclusive? I can't find anything on a US release.

@nerdynebraskan I went ahead and marked Beavis n Butthead beaten. I doubt anyone feels strongly about the couch fishing being done in a certain way lol.

@bronzeshield I'm a little surprised to see Shove It on the list of never-beaten games, it looks like it's just a Sokoban game. Have people tried at at Sega 16? Does it just get really tough?

The guy who was working on it got stuck somewhere in the 80s, IIRC. He shared his password with us and said he might try again at some point, or someone else could pick it up where he'd left off.

And then he died. 😞 That was Tim Maurer, aka Tim333.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What should the win condition for Championship Pro-Am be?  It loops after 24 tracks, but if you do 2 loops, your trophy room is filled and you get extra bonus points.  In the NES thread, one loop of RC Pr-Am is considered beating it (Championship Pro-Am is a port of it).

Edited by Red
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Red said:

What should the win condition for Championship Pro-Am be?  It loops after 24 tracks, but if you do 2 loops, your trophy room is filled and you get extra bonus points.  In the NES thread, one loop of RC Pr-Am is considered beating it (Championship Pro-Am is a port of it).

I had planned to use one loop of 24 tracks as the standard for Sega-16. Whether you do one loop or two, we'd be pleased as punch if you'd cross-post the win over there, since that's one of the 31 games left we haven't cleared!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis game - 46/693

I beat Gain Ground with a score of over 200000 and Crack Down. Gain Ground is actually one of my favorites on the Sega Genesis and it's imho too bad that so few people actually talk about it or seem to like it. It's like Ikari Warriors, but in good and with a lot of different and unique characters that change up the formula quite a bit. This allows you to approach every level in several ways in order to beat it as quick as possible.

Gain Ground.jpg

Gain Ground Score.jpg

Crack Down.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 129/757

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...