IGNORED

At the risk of sounding stupid asking this question, was there ever a golden GoldenEye cartridge distributed?

RH

About 5 years ago on Reddit someone asked on r/n64 if a golden GoldenEye cartridge was "rarer than a standard copy".  Supposedly the guy went over to a friends house and his friend had a golden cartridge.  I'm not the most serious N64 collector, but I do try to keep my pulse in the most rarest of rare items because if I ever find one, I definitely want to snag stuff like that, especially for the N64.  Having never, ever heard of a golden variant, I replied that it was fake, as did everyone else.

Well, now 5 years later, someone responds to my old post and tells me it's wrong.  He managed to get a golden copy years ago.  Supposedly after GoldenEye sold over 1,000,000 copies (or some number like this) a very limited quantity were released/given away.  He managed to get one, he had no clue it was rare and sold it at a pawn shop years ago.

The guy could be a troll, maybe.  But I know I'm not expert and I could also see Nintendo Power (or Rare via some news letter offer) having a competition/giveway where maybe 50-100 copies were made in a golden shell.

Some I'm asking you experts.  Is anyone aware of this ever happening?  I'd put money on it that no retail, golden GoldenEye cartridge was never distributed but I can't say for certainly if no special, giveaway copy was ever made, especially after the wild success of the title.

Have any of you heard of these carts?

Reddit link for reference:

Edited by RH

Never once heard of a golden Goldeneye cart, and virtually all of my friends during the N64 era were absolutely nuts about the game, all contests related to it, etc.  Unless there was some super secret underground giveaway that happened deep in the jungles of darkest Peru, any such cartridge that someone had was a fake most likely manufactured by transplanting a Goldeneye label onto one of the N64 Zelda cartridges.  Without photos from any of the people claiming to have seen such a best, it's more likely just a trick of their memory and imagination, as pretty much everybody I know that had an N64 owned by Goldeneye and Ocarina of Time, and most kept their boxes.  It would only take one lazy cleanup to put the wrong cart in the wrong box, then one off-the-cuff joke about the gold cart showing under the flap of the Goldeneye box being a "rare variant," and one willing believer to start a rumor that can't be verified because nobody actually did.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Never once heard of a golden Goldeneye cart, and virtually all of my friends during the N64 era were absolutely nuts about the game, all contests related to it, etc.  Unless there was some super secret underground giveaway that happened deep in the jungles of darkest Peru, any such cartridge that someone had was a fake most likely manufactured by transplanting a Goldeneye label onto one of the N64 Zelda cartridges.  Without photos from any of the people claiming to have seen such a best, it's more likely just a trick of their memory and imagination, as pretty much everybody I know that had an N64 owned by Goldeneye and Ocarina of Time, and most kept their boxes.  It would only take one lazy cleanup to put the wrong cart in the wrong box, then one off-the-cuff joke about the gold cart showing under the flap of the Goldeneye box being a "rare variant," and one willing believer to start a rumor that can't be verified because nobody actually did.

I 100% agree. These thoughts were generally mine.  Regardless, I had to ask because if someone either here (or possibly in the UK since that's where Rare was from) can vaguely recall of a competition or something maybe published in a magazine (this is 100% something I could see Nintendo Power doing, but if they had we all would have known about it, for sure) I assume some here would have to know about these cartridges.  I'd rather ask to be 99.99% sure this thing isn't legit rather than not ask and only be 95% sure it's not legit. 

I'd say this would be incredibly unlikely, at the time of Goldeneye releasing it wasn't really known that it would become this cultural icon. It was made by some scrappy rookies at Rare where I think it used to be some kind of on rails shooter converted, with a slapped on last minute multiplayer mode. Nothing about its development or the fact it was a licensed game catered to the idea that Nintendo would release anything special about it. It became a huge hit over time, but it isn't like Zelda which would be a known thing before release.

Just my 2 cents of course.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Super Nintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah it's an urban myth, especially coming from Reddit where many people on the gaming subs wouldn't know their arse from their elbow.

Mang, I registered and browsed there a bit a couple of years ago. I couldn't stand it. Except for the occasional knowledgeable guy, it's crawling with these elbasses, or assbows.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Super Nintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah it's an urban myth, especially coming from Reddit where many people on the gaming subs wouldn't know their arse from their elbow. Would've made perfect sense to have a golden cart. though!

Yeah. The last time I even heard of said cart, some were claiming that said carts were limited to competitions. Or something like that. But even then my findings went from being a logical conclusion to being an urban myth-style dead end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Well now I wish there was. 

Part of the reason I ask was hoping my assumptions were wrong too.  It'd be nice to have a golden GoldenEye, but if they were extremely rare, we all know these would be "holy grail" items and would fetch probably way more than a Clayfighters SE.