IGNORED

NFR Halo

DefaultGen

I just wanted to make a thread on this because I think the three $5000-9000 ones that sold this year were pretty bad buys and I saw it recently described as a "Modern day Stadium Events". It looks like people in Canada have finally realized misinformed Americans are paying ridiculous prices for this clearly-not-very-limited-to-Microsoft-employees variant. I happen to have 3 copies of this game just from collecting Xbox and I'm nearly positive all of them came from Canada (for <$10 a piece of course). They are selling on Ebay listed as NFR almost daily now. There are even 2 sealed ones on Ebay, what a grail.

I'm not sure if the deep Xbox collector people know exactly why this is so common Canada, but just pointing out recent sales so we can stop perpetuating the myth that this is a kinda-mostly super r@re Bungie or Microsoft exclusive.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I didn't buy into the lunacy of the Halo 1 prices, but to be fair you are comparing apples and oranges here.  You are citing completed CIB sales and comparing them to Sealed prices.   The 3 HA sales you referenced ($8.7k, $9k, $5.8k) were all sealed.

This title has always had a ridiculous used to new multiplier due to the significant rarity differences between them.  

7 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I didn't buy into the lunacy of the Halo 1 prices, but to be fair you are comparing apples and oranges here.  You are citing completed CIB sales and comparing them to Sealed prices.   The 3 HA sales you referenced ($8.7k, $9k, $5.8k) were all sealed.

This title has always had a ridiculous used to new multiplier due to the significant rarity differences between them.  

I am but I still think the prices are silly and there is some nonsensical CIB hype too (one listed for $4500 on Ebay, another sold for $1000). If this is "the version" because it's rare sealed to people, they can pay whatever multiplier they want because there are only so many, sure, but like many things this year no one cared until someone paid a dumb price for it and a bunch of people who had no idea it existed had their eyes pointed at a sold listing and saw dollar signs.

And I know people like the Halo, and I'm a Nintendo fanboy, and don't play the $10,000 shrink wrap game, but I won't get over the fact that it's a sealed Xbox game that sold for multiple times what a TLOZ, Mario 3, Doom, ALTTP, Sonic, etc. can sell for. I will dehype this game all I can! And anyone who has a sealed copy, you don't have a Halo holy grail, the T-rated box is still rarer than your shrink wrap 😜

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I am but I still think the prices are silly and there is some nonsensical CIB hype too (one listed for $4500 on Ebay, another sold for $1000). If this is "the version" because it's rare sealed to people, they can pay whatever multiplier they want because there are only so many, sure, but like many things this year no one cared until someone paid a dumb price for it and a bunch of people who had no idea it existed had their eyes pointed at a sold listing and saw dollar signs.

And I know people like the Halo, and I'm a Nintendo fanboy, and don't play the $10,000 shrink wrap game, but I won't get over the fact that it's a sealed Xbox game that sold for multiple times what a TLOZ, Mario 3, Doom, ALTTP, Sonic, etc. can sell for. I will dehype this game all I can! And anyone who has a sealed copy, you don't have a Halo holy grail, the T-rated box is still rarer than your shrink wrap 😜

I think I first heard the Halo NFR talk about 2 or 3 years ago on SGH IIRC.  I didn't care then and I don't care now, because NFRs are typically niche.  You want Black Label without all of the markups, not the NFR one even if perceived as rarer.  You want non-NFR copies of stuff like Sonic, Streets of Rage or even later era like Super Mario Sunshine.  NFR is the volatile piece here, not Halo.

And yes I sold my black label Halo earlier this year because I don't like it's staying power, and don't like it's value compared to some other things in the hobby.  I was a big Halo fan but the series lost me at H4 and I still haven't played H5 to this day.  PS has dominated Xbox as of late and Bungie leaving Halo really hurts the franchise.  It will always have it's historical significance but I don't think Halo collectors will be anywhere near as numerous as staple Nintendo or Playstation franchises.

I still did keep my Halo 2 CE VGA 90+ though.  That's the ultimate win-win game in the series IMO.  It's pretty easy to find sealed and still affordable, was marketed as a CE, and is the best game in the franchise that improved significantly upon the first.  And I can have it for peanuts compared to the price of the first?  Heck yeah, I'm happy to go H2 CE sealed any day of the week.

H2 CE is the Super Mario 3 of the Halo series. And way more affordable. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So sorry for the epic necro, but this thread is being referred to quite a bit lately as people like, ahem, whichever sucker bought this:

are still buying into the idea that NFR Halo is super rare. So I got curious about the question of where these Canadian copies come from, and found a possible source - the "Xbox Adrenaline Pack":

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/microsoft-releases-xbox-adrenaline-pack/article1158578/
https://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=77897&cid=6919193

It was a Canadian-only bundle of an Xbox, controller and two games - Amped and Halo. Seems to fit the bill...

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, AdamW said:

So sorry for the epic necro, but this thread is being referred to quite a bit lately as people like, ahem, whichever sucker bought this:

are still buying into the idea that NFR Halo is super rare. So I got curious about the question of where these Canadian copies come from, and found a possible source - the "Xbox Adrenaline Pack":

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/microsoft-releases-xbox-adrenaline-pack/article1158578/
https://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=77897&cid=6919193

It was a Canadian-only bundle of an Xbox, controller and two games - Amped and Halo. Seems to fit the bill...

Finally a sale I actually AGREE with the valuation. Halo BANGS! Well worth 300k! 😉

28 minutes ago, GPX said:

I don’t care what NFR game we’re talking about. None of them are worth 300K. That is some crazy BS injected with polysubstance misuse!

Surely for 301k this comes with ironclad provenance showing it's Bill Gates' personal copy. Or at least John Howard or Jason Jones. Or at least someone who worked on the game. Or at least a Microsoft employee?

Surely no one would pay $301k for a copy that was maybe owned by a random person who might've worked on Halo or was maybe a Canadian Xbox Adrenaline Pack console pack-in. Right. Right??

Edited by DefaultGen

5 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Surely for 301k this comes with ironclad provenance showing it's Bill Gates' personal copy. Or at least John Howard or Jason Jones. Or at someone who worked on the game. Or at least a Microsoft employee? Surely no one would pay $301k for a copy that was maybe owned by a random person who might've worked on Halo or was maybe a Canadian Xbox Adrenaline console pack-in. Right. Right??

Buyer: 1 sealed NFR Xbox or buy an entire full set of sealed Xbox games? Such a hard question!

Buyer: they were only worth a few grand a little while ago, so now seeing there’s a 100K offer, I think I’ll try my luck with a 301K offer! 

🤪

On 11/13/2019 at 11:08 AM, DefaultGen said:

I just wanted to make a thread on this because I think the three $5000-9000 ones that sold this year were pretty bad buys and I saw it recently described as a "Modern day Stadium Events". It looks like people in Canada have finally realized misinformed Americans are paying ridiculous prices for this clearly-not-very-limited-to-Microsoft-employees variant. I happen to have 3 copies of this game just from collecting Xbox and I'm nearly positive all of them came from Canada (for <$10 a piece of course). They are selling on Ebay listed as NFR almost daily now. There are even 2 sealed ones on Ebay, what a grail.

I'm not sure if the deep Xbox collector people know exactly why this is so common Canada, but just pointing out recent sales so we can stop perpetuating the myth that this is a kinda-mostly super r@re Bungie or Microsoft exclusive.

Apologies for the deep quote, but somewhat on topic, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (Platinum Hits) is almost certain to be a Canadian exclusive.

• 4 months later...

Epic necro sequel: one thing about the "Adrenaline pack" theory that I didn't know was, did those copies come sealed?

Today it occurred to me to look up copies of the other game in that bundle - Amped. And hey, if you search 'amped nfr xbox' on eBay, you get a bunch of hits...mostly from Canada. And one of them is sealed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114824970670

so, that seems kinda indicative. Unless there was a special limited employees-only release of Amped as well, and one of those copies just happened to stay sealed and somehow wind up in Canada. 🤣

• Like 1