IGNORED

POLL: Is Zelda Tears of the Kingdom a sequel or a prequel?

phart010

Tears of the Kingdom is:  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Tears of the Kingdom is:

• The sequel to Breath of the Wild
    • The prequel to Breath of the Wild

4 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I don't know if it's a sequel or prequel, but I do know that my hype has faded pretty hard on this one. All the poor performing, low-resolution Switch games that keep dropping have really made me want to wait for a Switch 2. BotW may be one of my favorite games, but it's not like it was particularly impressive from a technical standpoint. If the scope of this game is even bigger, I can't imagine it will fair particularly well on aging (aged?) hardware.

I have to say that I’m pretty surprised that this is not a dual launch title for the current Switch and a new console. Gamecube and Wii were bridged with Twilight Princess. Wii U and Switch were bridged with BOTW. I thought for sure that this game would be the opening title for Switch 2. 

Hopefully they have something even better to drive people towards the next console.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, phart010 said:

May 12: Tears of the Kingdom release date

Nintendo Direct May 11: oh by the way, you can head over to your local retailer and buy Switch 2 now 🤞

More like "We're releasing the Switcheroo. Everyone will get confused and we'll ruin all of our momentum with another console that sells 15 million units, starting the whole cycle over again!"

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
33 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I don't know if it's a sequel or prequel, but I do know that my hype has faded pretty hard on this one. All the poor performing, low-resolution Switch games that keep dropping have really made me want to wait for a Switch 2. BotW may be one of my favorite games, but it's not like it was particularly impressive from a technical standpoint. If the scope of this game is even bigger, I can't imagine it will fair particularly well on aging (aged?) hardware.

Interestingly, the Kickstarter survey for Armed Fantasia & Penny Blood doesn't list Switch as an option - instead the Nintendo option said "Next Gen Nintendo Hardware" or something to that effect.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

It's the biggest game ever on a cart at around 18.5 gb I read. I am confident this game will be on the successor to the Switch when it comes out. That's Nintendo's bread and butter, they call em evergreen titles. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

I have to say that I’m pretty surprised that this is not a dual launch title for the current Switch and a new console. Gamecube and Wii were bridged with Twilight Princess. Wii U and Switch were bridged with BOTW. I thought for sure that this game would be the opening title for Switch 2. 

I hate when they do that.

• Agree 1

Sequel to BotW, prequel to Skyward Sword... How??

Time loop! In a lot of the trailers it looks like shit is going up into the sky. Skyward Sword was the first in chronology and introduced Demise. He was then buried under Hyrule and he inhabits Ganon throughout series as his evil subservient.

Now , Hyrule lifts up, releases Demise and he ends up being the main baddy, while the Triforce Goddesses finally (and accurately) choose Ganondorf as the bearer of Triforce of Power.

This time Demise doesn't need Ganon to do his dirty work, so Ganondorf and Zelda and Link team up and beat ass.

The hand you see reaching for Zelda's is Ganondorfs and the voice you hear in the background is Demise...

Eh?.... Ehhhh???

• Haha 1

I was watching a video where the guy was comparing the part of the Great Plateau that faces the desert.  

Here it is in Breath of the Wild. It is frozen:5E758E88-C817-4D3E-989C-06B6D581C6D2.jpeg.0e9457d2dd9d552c984b5d4b651772f6.jpeg

Here it is in Tears of the Kingdom. There are trees.

14AAD17E-6D05-48AA-94CD-C813A65A211D.png.728198d433821f5ea06d29f632db28c6.png

I was wondering… how many years does it take for these types of trees to grow to this size? I would assume 5-10 years or maybe more.. I don’t think they would allow for Link to be 5+ natural years older in the sequel. He’s already at his prime hero age in BOTW. 

Now if the trees were already there in the past and then Link was killed, placed into the shrine of resurrection for 100 years, and he comes out to find that 100 years of climate change had occurred, resulting in the desert side of the plateau being frozen… that would make more sense

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, phart010 said:

I was watching a video where the guy was comparing the part of the Great Plateau that faces the desert.  

Here it is in Breath of the Wild. It is frozen:5E758E88-C817-4D3E-989C-06B6D581C6D2.jpeg.0e9457d2dd9d552c984b5d4b651772f6.jpeg

Here it is in Tears of the Kingdom. There are trees.

14AAD17E-6D05-48AA-94CD-C813A65A211D.png.728198d433821f5ea06d29f632db28c6.png

I was wondering… how many years does it take for these types of trees to grow to this size? I would assume 5-10 years or maybe more.. I don’t think they would allow for Link to be 5+ natural years older in the sequel. He’s already at his prime hero age in BOTW. 

Now if the trees were already there in the past and then Link was killed, placed into the shrine of resurrection for 100 years, and he comes out to find that 100 years of climate change had occurred, resulting in the desert side of the plateau being frozen… that would make more sense

This isn't real life, it's fantasy, as you've said - who is to say that trees don't grow quickly in the Zelda universe? In fact, toss BotW in your console and go chop down a tree, leave the area, come back to it - has the tree grown back? 

And who is to say that 5 years is a long time for Hylians? Link slept underground for 100 years then hopped back into action. Even ignoring that fact, Hylians measure their events in the tens of thousands of years. The ancient Mayans were less than 5000 years ago, but in Hylia they talk about the champion and princess of Hyrule from 10k years ago like they have a complete account of their history from that time. I'd assume that the time it take for trees to grow is the blink of an eye for Hylians, like Tolkien style elves. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

This isn't real life, it's fantasy, as you've said - who is to say that trees don't grow quickly in the Zelda universe? In fact, toss BotW in your console and go chop down a tree, leave the area, come back to it - has the tree grown back? 

This “instant tree growth” isn’t actually growing. It’s respawn. The fact that stuff respawns in video games shouldn’t be considered when we’re talking about tree growth 

Administrator · Posted
Just now, phart010 said:

This “instant tree growth” isn’t actually growing. It’s respawn. The fact that stuff respawns in video games shouldn’t be considered when we’re talking about tree growth 

It absolutely should - this isn't real life, it's fantasy. Trees grow instantly, canonically. You can't use an argument when it suits you then deny that same argument when it doesn't!

This is starting to come off quite sad there phart.  This has gone on now long enough to feel like a mix of desperation and conspiracy theory level stuff to where you're to the point you're more trying to convince yourself than others.  Doesn't matter what the makers tell you, it's a trap.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

This is starting to come off quite sad there phart.  This has gone on now long enough to feel like a mix of desperation and conspiracy theory level stuff to where you're to the point you're more trying to convince yourself than others.  Doesn't matter what the makers tell you, it's a trap.

Sometimes you gotta follow your gut 🤷🏽 So what if I’m wrong? Will  there be a punishment for my wrongness  😝

I will admit one thing that challenges my theory that TOTK might be a prequel.

We know that ears never stop growing.  I looked for some closeup shots of Links ears in BOTW versus TOTK. I zoomed both pictures to approximately the same scale. Links ears in TOTK appear to measure slightly longer than in BOTW. This could imply he’s slightly older in TOTK. 

BOTW ears size = approximately 4 tick marks on the ruler
C5E84BD0-FCCC-44F3-A7C1-8D67279CEE30.thumb.png.1e84da860f7dee6435670b6c5067162b.png

TOTK ears size = approximately 4.5 tick marks on the ruler

7C0D92C0-46C8-4FF7-B578-569F8D910834.thumb.png.3ff5daea5f1983132136153c767608e4.png

So yeah @Gloves I could be wrong.. 

• Haha 4

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I will admit one thing that challenges my theory that TOTK might be a prequel.

We know that ears never stop growing.  I looked for some closeup shots of Links ears in BOTW versus TOTK. I zoomed both pictures to approximately the same scale. Links ears in TOTK appear to measure slightly longer than in BOTW. This could imply he’s slightly older in TOTK. 

BOTW ears size = approximately 4 tick marks on the ruler
C5E84BD0-FCCC-44F3-A7C1-8D67279CEE30.thumb.png.1e84da860f7dee6435670b6c5067162b.png

TOTK ears size = approximately 4.5 tick marks on the ruler

7C0D92C0-46C8-4FF7-B578-569F8D910834.thumb.png.3ff5daea5f1983132136153c767608e4.png

So yeah @Gloves I could be wrong.. 

As we've established though these are FANTASY ears. It could easily be that Hylian ears shrink over time and transfer mass to dat thicc bootay. This is clearly a prequel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 3:00 PM, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Sequel to BotW, prequel to Skyward Sword... How??

Time loop! In a lot of the trailers it looks like shit is going up into the sky. Skyward Sword was the first in chronology and introduced Demise. He was then buried under Hyrule and he inhabits Ganon throughout series as his evil subservient.

Now , Hyrule lifts up, releases Demise and he ends up being the main baddy, while the Triforce Goddesses finally (and accurately) choose Ganondorf as the bearer of Triforce of Power.

This time Demise doesn't need Ganon to do his dirty work, so Ganondorf and Zelda and Link team up and beat ass.

The hand you see reaching for Zelda's is Ganondorfs and the voice you hear in the background is Demise...

Eh?.... Ehhhh???

I'm digging my heels in on this one. This is the corrupted Master Sword. Spirit of Demise. It's happening.

1280x720.jpg