IGNORED

Gem Of Your Collection

DarkTone

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, this thread is great!  There are so many posts I want to reply to directly! I'll summarize here so I don't spam 😄

PC Games:

My original copy of Doom II I ordered via the mail (I still have all of it, box included). I spent a lot of time playing this one! Also played it a lot via modem 😛

Aces over Europe (same as above, not sure where I got it though, but I bought it brand new). I spent a lot of time playing this one as well!

Console Games:

The remaining items I have from my original NES set, which is almost entirely boxes for games. Many of these are smashed and would not be desirable to anyone, but I love them 

[ RESERVED FOR PHOTO ]

I love prototypes and all of my protos are special to me. 

vgs-ninjistar-solarjetmanproto01.jpg

Misc:

Misc Dragon Quest items I've accumulated, including the silver PS4 DQ console (with metal slime figure and metal slime controller) and a slime mini figure

dqps4controller.jpg

I love Tetris, so all of the Tetris games I've picked up are special to me and I'd likely not sell them.

• Like 4

For me, it's simply a SEGA Saturn VHS tape.  It's not really that expensive (although I think promo VHS tape collecting is starting to heat a little) but I received it as a kid because I'd register all of my Game Gear games and it's one of very few gaming items I've managed to keep since my childhood.

I don't know why but I wore that tape out.  I was so hyped for the Saturn, even though I didn't end up getting one until a few years ago.

Here's an image of what it looks like...

s-l300.jpg

And here's what's on it.

Edited by RH
  • Like 3

On 11/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, Grondorr said:
On 10/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, DefaultGen said:

X:\

On 1/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, RH said:

For me, it's simply a SEGA Saturn VHS tape.  It's not really that expensive (although I think promo VHS tape collecting is starting to heat a little) but I received it as a kid because I'd register all of my Game Gear games and it's one of very few gaming items I've managed to keep since my childhood.

I don't know why but I wore that tape out.  I was so hyped for the Saturn, even though I didn't end up getting one until a few years ago.

Here's an image of what it looks like...

s-l300.jpg

And here's what's on it.

Dude!  I got this in the mail and watched it OBSESSIVELY about 50 times and was completely brain-washed/sold on Sega Saturn.  MIND BLOWN!  Glad someone else went through the same!  

• Wow! 1

I'm having to pack up and move my office, which is also where I keep my collectible stuff.  Here is a gem of my paper collection.  A couple of years ago I asked around on NintendoAge, reddit and a couple of places trying to find what is the oldest, known software development book dedicated to game design.  Someone mentioned The Art of Computer Game Design by Chris Crawford, published in 1984. There's even a Wikipedia page stating that claim: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Computer_Game_Design

Anyway, I found a single copy of this book on Amazon at that time and since then, I've never seen another copy.  Here are a couple of photos for those that are interested.

IMG_2641.thumb.JPG.1e23c8700e457dfd82da0505f7f48ca2.JPG  IMG_2645.thumb.JPG.ec98f7c164f57813be50c61a9587e8d6.JPG  IMG_2643.thumb.JPG.1b3bf8eb1e590206eff3484f751684fc.JPG  

IMG_2644.thumb.JPG.685a69851ac3fddb8fd35ad0259b406c.JPG

If you are interested in the content, it looks like it's been digitally published at the link below, however, it does appear to be somewhat modified, and probably updated.

https://www.digitpress.com/library/books/book_art_of_computer_game_design.pdf

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

It would have to be this game. When this game came out for sega cd my mom didn’t know what game she wanted to buy me. She told me a few years before she died that she went to 10 different stores until someone genuinely wanted to help her get a good game for me and not just a game they were trying to sell at that time. Turned out I loved the game and it also turn into a deeper meaning for me to love it after her telling me about how hard she looked just to find me something she felt I’d like.... I liked the game so much I ended up getting all the lunars that were made. 

image.jpg

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

^Excellent Gem of your collection Calan87 and a great memory attached to it. I too love games on the Sega CD and was hooked on FMV games. My favorite being Night Trap in all its grainy glory. I've since actively sought out Night Trap for different systems and various other FMV games from my youth

Edited by Ghost Soldier
  • Like 1

Sentimentally would be my original teal Game Boy Color. It’s the first gaming anything I ever received that was mine and not my older brother’s. Second would be my GBA SP that my mom gifted me as a kid.

Rarity-wise, probably this boxed copy of Exocet for Atari 2600. What I think is cool about Atari collecting is that it was the Wild West and you could absolutely have these fly-by-night programmers who would pump out games that were only for sale in their region, sold door to door, etc. In this case, the company Panda was in Charlotte, North Carolina pumping out games that were rip offs of other games, renamed and relabeled, etc. It’s very rare to find any with the box, and even rarer to find the manual (which I don’t have and am told it was basically printed on receipt paper, so few have survived).

4027F260-3244-4C3F-946C-20E426372908.jpeg

BCAABA68-BDFC-4417-820E-375CD643D041.jpeg

• Like 4

My gem would have to be my sealed copy of Pokemon Red. I found it at a local comic show last year and had to buy it. The Pokemon games were the first games I got to own, so being able to have a sealed copy of a game that has so much meaning to me is awesome! I want to get a cool case for it at some point (maybe even one that can light up red?) to display it in.

• Like 2