IGNORED

Hogwarts Legacy

a3quit4s

So I was waiting for the review embargo to end today so see how the first reviews were gonna shake out. Seems like a go for me with meta critic hanging out around an 86. I was able to preorder the deluxe edition for Xbox Series X this morning so I can start playing tomorrow (regular edition is 2/10). It’s weird, it’s a physical edition but I was having trouble even finding a preorder. I wanted it for PS5 but everywhere I looked that has a store around me; Walmart, GameStop, Target, and Best Buy didn’t have the preorder in stock or it just said coming soon. The regular edition was available but not the Deluxe. All is well though, I got the XSX version at Best Buy and it even comes with a $10 gift card to offset the deluxe edition cost!

Anywho any other Potter fans out there gonna grab this? I know there is a ton out there about JK Rowling and her views and what ever, let’s try to focus on the game and leave that crap out. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I wouldn't say I'm some *huge* Harry Potter fan or anything - but, I enjoy the universe that was created - and to me, this looks like a fun game.  I've definitely been looking forward to it and want to try it out!

I may wait a bit and not grab it right away - but that's mostly because I'm busy with some other games at the moment.  But this is definitely a game I've been watching and just really hope is good.  Definitely can't wait to hear how people like it once they've been able to give it a shot!

• Like 1

I'm interested but lack both of the newer systems (and have no real desire to spend that kind of money on either one), so I'll be waiting for late Spring/early Summer for the PS4 version to drop.  It didn't show up on Amazon as a thing, but doing some Googling had it show up on Sony's own site for preorder, and I was also able to find it on GameStop's site, so it looks like there's little doubt about it being released on the platform.

If I had to guess, I'd say the PS4 and Switch versions are as done as the others, but they're leaving them shelved for several extra months in order to try to tempt people into pulling the trigger on the newer systems.  With the odd exception here and there, I figure I'm safe continuing to get releases for the PS4 so long as the same title is on Switch given the power difference between the two, and if the Switch can run something, the PS4 (and/or PS4 Pro) absolutely can.

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

I'm interested but lack both of the newer systems (and have no real desire to spend that kind of money on either one), so I'll be waiting for late Spring/early Summer for the PS4 version to drop.  It didn't show up on Amazon as a thing, but doing some Googling had it show up on Sony's own site for preorder, and I was also able to find it on GameStop's site, so it looks like there's little doubt about it being released on the platform.

If I had to guess, I'd say the PS4 and Switch versions are as done as the others, but they're leaving them shelved for several extra months in order to try to tempt people into pulling the trigger on the newer systems.  With the odd exception here and there, I figure I'm safe continuing to get releases for the PS4 so long as the same title is on Switch given the power difference between the two, and if the Switch can run something, the PS4 (and/or PS4 Pro) absolutely can.

Best Buy shows me 4/4/23 for the PS4 so you won’t be waiting that long. Probably won’t even be $59.99 by then!

• Agree 1

Harry Potter game branded a ‘genocide simulator’ attracts record interest after boycott backfires

https://fortune.com/2023/02/08/hogwarts-legacy-harry-potter-video-game-boycott-rowling-transphobia-warner-discovery-avalanche/

Ahead of its official Feb. 10 launch date, the Warner Bros. Discovery title has been inundated by calls to boycott the release of what critics are calling “that wizard game.” Supporters of the campaign include many well-known members of the gaming community itself, such as Brianna Wu, cofounder of development studio Giant Spacekat. “It’s really important for decent people to boycott Hogwarts Legacy,” she posted last month. “I have a lot of friends in games media, but I will be cutting ties to anyone who promotes this.”

Responding to the criticism, Avalanche Software, which developed the game, has made concessions such as greater customization options regarding gender and at the final moment added a trans character called Sirona Ryan—to little avail as even Ryan’s name has been picked apart by critics.

Travis Northup from industry flagship publication IGN even admitted last week during a podcast that reviewing the game fell to him since everyone else balked at the chance. “The fact that I’m getting Hogwarts Legacy is insane to me,” said Northup, who focuses more on live service games like Destiny 2. “And it’s only happening because everyone else is too afraid to review it.”

Not all trans gamers feel the same way towards activism in the industry, however. Sophia Narwitz, who has 30,000 subscribers to her YouTube gaming channel, labelled the controversy over the Harry Potter game “a silly hill to die on” and called out her own community as doing more harm than good to its cause. “This entire manufactured outrage is hollow,” she wrote on Monday in response to the Harry Potter game’s imminent debut. “It’s keyboard activism at its finest.”

I support the transgender community. AND, I am going to play this! I think the whole "you either do as we say, or you're our enemy" attitude is fascist and asinine. People like Brianna Wu are doing nothing more than dividing the community and hurting the trans community. Did I mention the game looks great...

• Like 1

Not a huge harry potter fan, but enjoyed all the movies and have seen them more than once. I never read the books, I wish I did, but I was in high school when they came out and it felt like they were for kids so I was definitely too cool never got around to it.

What I do really like is the premise of not only the franchise, but also the game as a third person RPG based around wizardry instead of guns or high-tech things like current third person action RPG’s. 

@avatar! I too am an ally to the trans community, but think the culture war “boycott” or whatever feels far too manufactured

• Agree 1

I’ve played through the story and it was really great. I did some side quests and what not and so far have about 17 hours on record. I probably won’t 100% the game but I’ll do the remaining side quests since I had a blast playing it. It was really odd to be using the unforgivable curses (you can learn all three through a side quest story line. Yes even avada kedavra!). I still fully recommend the game and I am also a friend to the 🏳️‍🌈 community. There is even a trans character in the game, so all the people boycotting it are hypocrites lol 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The woke war against JK Rowling has utterly failed... and here’s the proof

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2023/02/28/woke-war-against-jk-rowling-has-utterly-failed-proof/

The game was finally released two weeks ago. And so far, it has sold an astonishing 12 million copies, making it by far the biggest game of the year to date. So, in short: no, the boycott did not work out entirely as planned. In fact, it’s hard to imagine how it could have backfired more spectacularly. For all their shrill, self-pitying demands, the anti-Rowling activists have been trounced. Ordinary people, out in the real world, simply didn’t care what they thought. A salutary lesson, you might hope, for all those businesses that quake in fear of displeasing the social media mob. Come to think of it, I wonder whether I can persuade these same activists to announce that they’re boycotting my columns. That should send Telegraph subscriptions through the roof.

At the end of the day, regardless of one's political/social opinions, it's clear the game is by most any definition "excellent" and is a best seller. For most people, that's what matters. Even if you don't agree with Rowling, she is not "evil" no have I seen malicious in any way. You could argue she is misguided, but trying to cancel her is absurd. In fact, Stephen King said of her "Here’s the thing: She is welcome to her opinion, I just felt that her belief was, in my opinion, wrong. We have differing opinions, but that’s life."

Background to the Rowling controversy -
https://www.glamour.com/story/a-complete-breakdown-of-the-jk-rowling-transgender-comments-controversy

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...