IGNORED

Should I be expected to be able to read my wife's mind?

OptOut

Should I be expected to be able to read my wife's mind?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. If my wife tells me her necklace is worn out and she doesn't want to wear it anymore, should I automatically know this means she wants me to buy her a new one?

• Yes
    • No

So did she get mad at you for not getting a new necklace or what? Just ask her what kind of necklace she wants so you don't have to guess her taste (or take the other suggestion and go shopping with her). My fiancee does this all the time when it comes to old jewelry. She doesn't want expensive things but she likes that her jewelry comes "from me" even though she just tells me what to buy whenever the old stuff becomes old.

Administrator · Posted

It's really not mind reading, it's just showing a bit of care and dedication to your partner. 

When she says she's hungry do you not offer her some food? If you say your back is itchy does she scratch it for you? A good marriage IMO is built on wanting one another to be happy, and looking for ways to fulfill each other's wants and needs. 

That said, it's unreasonable to be mad at your partner for not picking up on hints. Disappointed perhaps, but not mad. 

Wow, really got some great advice going on in this thread, thanks guys!

Truth be told, my wife wasn't actually mad. It was more like the usual kinda "you didn't get it?" type of thing. She honestly can't believe that I had no idea what she was talking about, lol. Every birthday, Christmas, Valentines day, Mother's day, you name it, I don't have any idea what she wants. She's gotten used to the fact that she literally has to explicitly tell me exactly what she wants, and either buy it online with me or coming shopping with me to make sure she gets it. I'm just bad at that sort of thing, I guess!

But we've been together 10 years, married 8, and we actually have an amazingly strong relationship and overall great communication. Anyone who hangs out on the Discord chat can attest to how... devoted I am to my wife, lol! 😉 But, I guess this is just a blind spot here, I don't seem to get it when she doesn't actually SAY what she wants... As an aside I am always ruining surprises she tries to do for me, like whenever she buys me something as a surprise I always find it or mess it up by saying I don't want it anymore after she's already secretly bought it... Just surprises suck you know, I don't see the point and they don't work on me, but she likes them, eh?

Try harder, ok, but I got plenty other shit to keep me busy working hard to provide for her in a million other areas of our lives. This is just another thing and in the grand scheme of things very petty. I'd rather spend my efforts working my two jobs, helping her to start our business together, looking after our kids, fixing up the house, doing laundry, cooking, keeping her satisfied in other ways... You name it, I do it! I think we'll go shopping soon anyway, as soon as we're not busy doing a million billion other things!

Also, although I REALLY appreciate the advice, you guys have totally let me down here!!! I told my wife I was gonna make this poll on VGS and show her that MOST men would agree with me, that I ought to be totally innocent of any wrongdoing by not knowing what she was trying to say. And look at the poll!!! What am I gonna do now, lol, she's expecting to see the results! It was supposed to be landslide NO, lol! Come on fellas, throw me a freaking bone here! You've given me just enough rope to hang myself with, ha ha ha! 😂

• Like 1