IGNORED

Movie Debate #110: Oldboy

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'd dream of making this a movie debate / movie club where we also all watch the week's movie, but I couldn't figure out how to make it feasible.

Honestly that sounds like a really good idea. I'd like that. I'm sure most of us could spare like 1.5 to 3 hours a week to watch a movie, they're not too big a time commitment.

7 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'd dream of making this a movie debate / movie club where we also all watch the week's movie, but I couldn't figure out how to make it feasible.

You could always pick out movies based on what's airing for free on YouTube, as that ought to level the playing field for everybody as far as access to the content is concerned.  It puts some boundaries on what can be immediately watched and discussed by everybody, but it would virtually guarantee that anyone on the site would have the ability to participate without having to make some sort of purchase.

• Like 2

Just now, darkchylde28 said:

You could always pick out movies based on what's airing for free on YouTube, as that ought to level the playing field for everybody as far as access to the content is concerned.  It puts some boundaries on what can be immediately watched and discussed by everybody, but it would virtually guarantee that anyone on the site would have the ability to participate without having to make some sort of purchase.

That's kind of what I did when I tried something similar to this back on NintendoAge... I think it we only made it through a few movies before it fizzled out.

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, G-type said:

That's kind of what I did when I tried something similar to this back on NintendoAge... I think it we only made it through a few movies before it fizzled out.

That is what I fear.

Look at @SailorScoutMandy's book club.  We had a month each time, and we'd get 1-2 people doing it.  Only made it a year before she had to can it.

42 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I started a real life movie club when I was in residency and it was awesome. Spurred some good conversation and drunken fun. We rotated through the participants for movie picks and that person would supply the movie for the event. I think it could be done online as long as you limit the choices to popular streaming services (Netlix, Amazon, HBO) and have it be a live event with Discord chat or something like that. Supplemental conversation would be in the forum thread.

12 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

That is what I fear.

Look at @SailorScoutMandy's book club.  We had a month each time, and we'd get 1-2 people doing it.  Only made it a year before she had to can it.

I would argue that doing it with movies is actually easier. It's easier to legally obtain movies than books and the time commitment is significantly less.

As for the actual topic, I've never seen Oldboy, but I'd like to watch it. Maybe when I'm retired or my kids are grown.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

That is what I fear.

I honestly tried to work with that, but I just couldn't get into so many of the books that were chosen and couldn't force myself to read them.  I'd participate when something I liked popped up, but alas, it wasn't enough.  As for movies, though, I imagine many more people could stand 70-120 minutes once every week or two watching (or watching at) a movie versus however many hours it would take to go through a novel.  If we could figure out a good way of communally watching (like one of the "theater" apps on Oculus or similar features in certain games), I think a "VGS Movie Night" that came toward the end of a particular selection's week would be a really fun idea as well as giving a bit more excuse to participate.

Just now, darkchylde28 said:

I think a "VGS Movie Night" that came toward the end of a particular selection's week would be a really fun idea as well as giving a bit more excuse to participate.

It might be fun to coordinate on discord.. pick a movie that people won't be annoyed if we comment on as we watch it.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah, taking turns picking could help.  If people are reasonable.  Knowing you have a pick coming up could help people buy in.

But again, availability is a problem.  If Oldboy is one of the movies that people want to actually watch, but it's not available on any streaming service...

I'll brainstorm it some more

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, taking turns picking could help.  If people are reasonable.  Knowing you have a pick coming up could help people buy in.

But again, availability is a problem.  If Oldboy is one of the movies that people want to actually watch, but it's not available on any streaming service...

I'll brainstorm it some more

Outside of limiting it to the most popular streaming services as I suggested above, you could also use an RSVP system. If you don't get at least 5 RSVPs, you must pick a new movie and delay a week. If the same thing happens the following week, you lose your turn. Just spitballing here.

Personally, I still get DVDs/Blu-Rays shipped to me from Netflix so I can watch new releases and obscure movies for cheap. That means I can participate almost every single time no matter what the movie is, as long as I have like 2 weeks notice.

Haven’t seen it but I think I have it downloaded.

Movie club sounds great and much easier than the book club. I love reading but I seriously couldn’t do a book a month, that was difficult to keep up with. Movies are much easier.

I unfortunately probably wouldn’t be able to participate in the movie watching with the group but that’s ok.

Also who doesn’t know how to pirate bay these days? Most movies should be easy to get unless it’s some obscure foreign movie.

Editorials Team · Posted
47 minutes ago, Brickman said:

unfortunately probably wouldn’t be able to participate in the movie watching with the group but that’s ok

Yeah I don't see that being feasible, with me at the helm at least.  I'm free to do stuff - assuming everything works out - at like 10PM MST.  On week days.  Sometimes.

Having a locked down weekly thing just isn't possible.

Hence my shoddy Game Night attendance 

3 hours ago, Brickman said:

Movie club sounds great and much easier than the book club. I love reading but I seriously couldn’t do a book a month, that was difficult to keep up with. Movies are much easier.

Yeah, at home, with my kids running around, I'm lucky if I can manage to find any time to read, and that's if I really, really want to and have something interesting to read.  When I'm "on vacation," visiting my grandmother, I can knock out a book a night, sometimes even two, but then again, my kids get to see my cousins' kids nonstop and have several fenced in acres to go out and play in where I don't have to keep too close an eye on them, so thing 1 & thing 2 are always worn out and ready to drop right off when I say it's bedtime instead of the usual nightly begging, pleading, and bargaining (from both sides, lol!).  I think a book club can be sustainable, but we'd probably have to have 2-3x the number of people involved so that when 2/3 don't or haven't read the book, there's still people who have and who can chat about it.

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

I honestly don't really remember anything from this movie

All the more reason to go re-watch it!  While I recommend watching the original for the purpose of properly voting in this thread, I have to say that even the American remake was decent!  Hate to say it, but Thanos doesn't have nearly the acting range as the lead in the Korean original, and that's even after having to read all the subtitles!  And that was on a PSP, via the UMD!

This is one of the top-shelf Korean movies that I’ve watched. It is magnificent in the cinematography and both its engrossing nature as well as it’s gross nature (watch it, and you’ll get this point). 

It’s one of those movies where once watched, it becomes locked into the memory bank. Warning: must enjoy violence as viewer.