IGNORED

Do you want the ability to change your vote in polls?

Gloves

Changing votes in polls, yea or nay?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should we allow people to change their votes on polls after they've already cast their vote?

• Yes
    • No

Administrator · Posted

By default, the system doesn't let you change your vote once you've voted in a poll on the site. We can change it to let people change their votes, but it's a kinda this way or that way sorta deal. 

Lemme know your thoughts, and if people want it, I can make the change in a day or two after giving it time to sit.

So it's not possible to just have that be a setting for each poll? That's kinda weird.

I'd like the ability to change my vote, makes sense for all the usual threads like game debates or whatever. But for things like competitions that need a poll for something, being able to change a vote after the fact would completely break the integrity of that.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Sumez said:

So it's not possible to just have that be a setting for each poll? That's kinda weird.

I'd like the ability to change my vote, makes sense for all the usual threads like game debates or whatever. But for things like competitions that need a poll for something, being able to change a vote after the fact would completely break the integrity of that.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be something that can be set per-poll unfortunately; a limitation of the software, as it were. 

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm pretty sure that it shuts down all voting/changing after a poll is closed, so no true after-the-fact vote changing.  I can't imagine any vote changing before a poll closes being too important even in regard to competitions, since it's really only the final results that are counted.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

I'm pretty sure that it shuts down all voting/changing after a poll is closed, so no true after-the-fact vote changing.  I can't imagine any vote changing before a poll closes being too important even in regard to competitions, since it's really only the final results that are counted.

Of course, but this assumes there is even an option to close a poll?

If there is, there is zero potential issues with vote-changing.

3 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Of course, but this assumes there is even an option to close a poll?

If there is, there is zero potential issues with vote-changing.

There absolutely is, at some level, such as the polls for what game night games to play, the music bracket threads, etc.  I've never messed with one myself, but looking at the options that are available in creating a new post with a poll, it looks like all one has to do is either set an end date on the poll when it's first created, or go in and edit it and add that date as the current day whenever you want to manually close it.  People would be able to change their vote up to the point of a poll being closed, but I can't see that having any real effect on anything.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

How about the happy medium of granting staff the ability to switch/erase a vote if somebody tells us they voted incorrectly?    That way we have a solution while limiting potential shenanigans.

Alas, not an option. 

46 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Can you time-limit the change? Usually people notice the mistake almost immediately.

39 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Lemme be clear, these are the options for polls:

image.png

It doesn't look like it but poll creators can just set a date/time for polls to end.  In affect, this makes the polls flexible until the poll is "finished".  I think that kind of works, but creators have to make use of the option to have a cut off date.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

I would like to be able to change my vote sometimes.  I don’t need to change my vote.  Do whatever is easier.  

I just happened to be changing the amount of questions available in a poll and decided to see what else I could change, noticed the toggle, and figured I'd ask. It's a simple click to change it if people want to see that changed. Figured I'd just ask cuz it's easy to change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Poll's been open a week and the "Yea's" have it by over twice as many yes votes (12:5). I'll make the change now and if we collectively hate it I can flip it back.

Gonna laugh if a bunch of the Yes flip over to No after you make the change

• Haha 2