IGNORED

Movie Debate #109: Edward Scissorhands

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

I showed this movie to my niece about 3 weeks ago because she's getting to that age where she can watch more mature stuff. I hadn't seen it in about 20 years and I think it has held up well. Great soundtrack, themes are still relevant even in this age (maybe even more so) and the acting is good. 

I probably would have given it a 9 if I hadn't rewatched it but I think an 8 is more fitting.

It was a cute movie, and if I saw it on someplace, I'd probably watch it again, but as-is, I haven't seen it again since it came out, nor gone out of my way to do so.  It wasn't awful, by any means, just not overly fantastic.  It had a cute, quaint little story that it told well, and all the quirky trappings and casting of most any Tim Burton film you could mention, even though this is one of his early ones.  If someone was a total Tim Burton nut I could see them rating it higher, but I can't really put it much higher than 6; I'd have put it at 5, honestly, but went with 6 due to the descriptor that I'd stop and watch it if I saw it on, which is true.  That being said, I encourage everybody to see it at least once, but will advise that that might be the only time they watch it, as it's really a one-and-done kind of movie, and not really something I could see any but the most die-hard of Tim Burton fans constantly going back to rewatch.

I definitely need to rewatch this movie. 

As a kid I remember not being really certain whether or not I liked it.  I know I enjoyed certain aspects of the movie, but I was probably a little to young for some of the darker parts.  I have a feeling I would enjoy it more now.  This thread might give me the excuse to watch it again.  I'll have to check to see who is streaming it these days. 

Edit:  Looks like Disney+ streams it for those wondering.  I'm going to watch it again this week.

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted

4.  I'd have to watch it again to give a proper review but I don't want to.  Tim Burton walks a pretty fine line between dark pretense and compelling weirdness.  I'm 50/50 on Burton in general.  I love Batman and Beetlejuice, but this and Nightmare Before Christmas both kinda suck.  Leave this one for the true goths.

goth GIF

• Haha 1

I think I have to give it a 5.  I saw it in the theater and did watch it again since then (still a very long time ago).  I've seen clips here and there too.  I think it was leaning on the weirdness of the main character so much that it ventures into "gimmick" territory.  I even think that if the movie had some other boring title that nobody would ever watch it.  This movies screams "Hey, want to watch something weird that barely makes sense?"  If it didn't and people went in expecting something else they'd probably revolt and run away.

• Like 1

First time that I've rewatched a movie just because of one of these threads.  I enjoyed it much more than I remember and definitely recommend watching it again if you haven't seen it since you were a kid.  It really is something unique, and there are a lot of things in the movie that I appreciate more seeing it as an adult.  

• Like 4