IGNORED

Mynty.gg - New Price tracking site

1 hour ago, goldenpp72 said:

So watching the interview and browsing the site, I definitely see potential in it and the demonstrated knowledge seems on point. I suppose my main concern is how overwhelming it is to keep up with this as the site expands more and more,  and I might have missed it, but I don't see a way to add things to a personal collection just yet. This would be very daunting for someone like me to do since I'm not fully aware of all the variants I have, and have over 10k games I'd want to add. I'm definitely interested to see how the site progresses though!

It is simple to add games to your library. Find the game you want to add to your collection and click the "Add to Collection" button. Check the box art photos to see which variation you have. They can be expanded to show more fine details, or you can check the "more Information" option. This is where we provide the specifics of each game.

If you can't find something or need assistance, contact me on Discord or write us a message. I'd be happy to help.

• Like 1

Thanks for doing this.  I just finished entering my entire collection to PriceCharting a few months ago.  This... is enticing to do it all over again knowing it's maintained by a fellow passionate collector and gamer.

Anyway, I'm a dev and I'm curious.  What's your tech stack, if you don't mind sharing?  Server OSes, coding languages, database, etc.

• Like 1

Ok, I just signed up.  I have another feature request, which I assume you _might_ have planned in time that no other site has properly offered.

Can you add a collection import tool?  Yes, others sites have those but what bothers me is the lack of ability to handle exceptions.  If I upload a document of 1,500 games and 200 of them can't be matched, it'd be nice to see a list and for each one, have a search box to pair them with a title in your database.  Or, at least provide an exportable list so we can manually upload those games.

This was 100% the reason why it took me about 2 years to move my data from GVN to PriceCharting.

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, RH said:

Thanks for doing this.  I just finished entering my entire collection to PriceCharting a few months ago.  This... is enticing to do it all over again knowing it's maintained by a fellow passionate collector and gamer.

Anyway, I'm a dev and I'm curious.  What's your tech stack, if you don't mind sharing?  Server OSes, coding languages, database, etc.

Are you saying JJ Hendricks isn't a passionate collector and gamer?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Are you saying JJ Hendricks isn't a passionate collector and gamer?

Well, maybe he is... or was.  He sold off JJ Games and I think "got out", IIRC, but he does still maintain the site.  I am sure you are being sarcastic but I still wouldn't say he at least wasn't at one point.

I mean, IMHO, what JJ Games was and what it offers is a dream of mine that will never come true.  Profit and margin for those big buy-and-resell shops is tough year-over-year, especially when you start managing a ton of inventory.

Yeah, I think he was a passionate collector, but I think the business made him want to be done with it.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, maybe he is... or was.  He sold off JJ Games and I think "got out", IIRC, but he does still maintain the site.  I am sure you are being sarcastic but I still wouldn't say he at least wasn't at one point.

I mean, IMHO, what JJ Games was and what it offers is a dream of mine that will never come true.  Profit and margin for those big buy-and-resell shops is tough year-over-year, especially when you start managing a ton of inventory.

Yeah, I think he was a passionate collector, but I think the business made him want to be done with it.

Making your hobby your job is certainly a dangerous bet to make, it's why I refuse to do game dev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Making your hobby your job is certainly a dangerous bet to make, it's why I refuse to do game dev.

I may want to do it but, yeah, I won't either.  There are dreams you hope to accomplish, and there are dreams you wish you could do in some semi-utopian world.  Running an online gaming shop falls in the later category for me but there's to much logistics involved and, yes, profits are hard to maintain when markets fluctuate.  

I considered making a game, too.  I doubt I will do to time constraints but if I do it will 100% be indy. I wouldn't want to get in a big gaming studio at all.  It's probably a job at the bottom of my development list.   Pay is often lower than other industries (because some many devs want to be in the industry) and the work demand is too high.  No thanks, I'll pass on that and just enjoy the final product.

38 minutes ago, RH said:

Ok, I just signed up.  I have another feature request, which I assume you _might_ have planned in time that no other site has properly offered.

Can you add a collection import tool?  Yes, others sites have those but what bothers me is the lack of ability to handle exceptions.  If I upload a document of 1,500 games and 200 of them can't be matched, it'd be nice to see a list and for each one, have a search box to pair them with a title in your database.  Or, at least provide an exportable list so we can manually upload those games.

This was 100% the reason why it took me about 2 years to move my data from GVN to PriceCharting.

First and foremost, thank you for all of your comments. And, yeah, I agree that an import tool would be fantastic. There will be certain hurdles due to variants, but NOTHING is impossible. Let's connect in some way; I'd love to ask you some more questions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wu1fyy said:

First and foremost, thank you for all of your comments. And, yeah, I agree that an import tool would be fantastic. There will be certain hurdles due to variants, but NOTHING is impossible. Let's connect in some way; I'd love to ask you some more questions.

Please do PM me!  I'm always willing to offer suggestions and potential solutions.

I've been in software development and business analysis for nearly 20 years.  I don't know if creating this site was a passionate hobby you learned to create or if you're already dev, but I'm always willing to help with some of the smaller tasks for sites like this.

• 5 weeks later...

Took a peek and the site does look sharp.  I'm also looking forward to seeing more as it gets fleshed out.

One suggestion or nitpick I would mention is Rarity category "Wide Spread."  Wide Spread implies there is a vast range of rarities for this particular cart but if the intent is to show that it is common, you want "Widespread", all one word.

• 1 month later...
Social Team · Posted

Cool stuff, but sounds like it's not for me.  I collect modern stuff.  I've had to help add entries to PriceCharting because there isn't a ton of collectors for the niche thing I'm into.  Are you going to do a similar thing in letting users make new entries.  Sounds like you are personally screening all the sales to correctly sort the sales by variants.  This would be easier with modern games as there would be less variants but still some.  I guess you can say I'm interested in what the long term goals are for the site.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, so I decided to check in again. I want to provide an update on Mynty and address a few recent developments.

What's going on with Mynty, I've recently been asked? Here's my answer...

Mynty was originally conceived with the goal of providing comprehensive variant data for all games on all consoles in our library. However, we've recently narrowed our focus to include only standard titles, classic series titles, and a few standout variants. This strategic shift, combined with the implementation of a new automated system, has given us the ability to generate data for an additional 20,000 games. This change not only allows us to provide more specialized and in-depth analysis for iconic games and modern games, but it also significantly expands the breadth of our database, allowing you to explore, collect, and appreciate a broader range of games. 

We intend to eventually go back to supporting a wide scale of variant titles as part of our never-ending quest for development and improvement. We are confident that we can increase our capabilities with the continued support and participation of our devoted community. Together, we can make Mynty an indispensable and ever-expanding resource for all video game enthusiasts.

A release date will be available soon. It feels and looks fantastic so far!

• 6 months later...

Exciting news! The latest version of Mynty is now live. We've completely revamped the design and user navigation, and even reimagined our user collection tools. I'm thrilled about this new release and the future expansions we're planning. Best of all, access to loose, complete, and sealed game data is entirely free!

I warmly invite everyone to try out the new Mynty experience. Your feedback is invaluable - feel free to drop it here or send us a direct message. And don't hold back; I can take a good roasting, so let it rip if you must, haha!

We're constantly updating our data. If you can't find data for a particular game, shoot me a message, and I'll make sure it's imported that very day.

Here's to happy gaming and collecting! I'm looking forward to seeing you on the site.

Check it out now!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Link said:

If I try to look at graded prices it says "To access and add this game to your collection, you must sign up and become a member."

To access graded data and add unlimited games to your collection, you need a "Power Collector" membership. However, loose, CIB, and sealed data are available for free across all categories.

12 hours ago, wu1fyy said:

To access graded data and add unlimited games to your collection, you need a "Power Collector" membership. However, loose, CIB, and sealed data are available for free across all categories.

Have you considered using a free trial offer?  I usually don't pay for paid things unless trying first.  A huge price tracking site cardladder.com does the same thing 7 days free before they hit you with the $15 a month charge.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, jonebone said:

Have you considered using a free trial offer?  I usually don't pay for paid things unless trying first.  A huge price tracking site cardladder.com does the same thing 7 days free before they hit you with the $15 a month charge.

Yes, you can sign up for a free account on the site which comes with certain limitations but still gives you a taste of its full potential. Access to graded data is exclusive to our paid accounts. However, Mynty is very affordable at only $0.99 per month or $10 for an entire year, compared to other services like Cardladder.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

I've got some great news! Mynty has just launched a new Dashboard, and it's a game-changer. Now, you can check prices for your games (loose, complete, or sealed) all in one spot. Plus, we’ve added a feature for browsing the latest graded sales. Interested? Head over to Mynty and take it for a spin.

Can't wait to hear what you think!

Check it out!

Edited by wu1fyy
  • Love 1

Wild.... I feel like I'm in a timewarp.... I clicked on this thread thinking it was new and didn't pay close attention to the dates. 😆

Interesting site...

The classifications seem a bit subjective, though. The "mynty" classification and "Rarity scale" were literally said to be just made up/decided by @wu1fyy in the interview by Bird Dog..... I mean, if you want the responsibility of deciding these (incredibly high level serious and meaningful) things, then I guess that's cool? But seems like a photo from an eBay listing is a tricky way to apply a grade of quality. 🤔

Kinda seems like that should be decided in a bit less of a subjective way. Seems like buddy, pardon me Wu1fyy for the informality, is just deciding "oh well this one's 'minty' and this one's not." just based on a picture.... Note: I'm looking through the website now and each game has a condition attached to it. I think this is a slippery slope. What's "minty" to you, isn't "minty" to someone else.

And, just curious.... you know the term "minty" has a bit of contention in the collecting community, right? I would hope you are, at least, aware of this so you can handle it properly, PR/Marketing-wise. I've noticed lots of people on Reddit/Facebook, or look through threads here (especially back in the NA days, I remember threads upon threads where we would laugh about people saying their beat up shit was "minty").... many people are put off by someone who's selling/showing off their games and claims they are "minty". Saying things like "Check out this minty CIB, man.", or "These games are SUPER MINTY, bro!" to try to bring clout.

So when you are literally calling your website this, but MORE IMPORTANTLY assigning the condition of "minty", you should probably take this into consideration. For example... I find it a bit pompous/arrogant when someone says "I've got this minty Mega Man CIB set, check it out bro!!!". Who the fuck is this guy to determine his shit is minty? Then you take a look at it and it's got wear on the corners and a crease here or there on the manuals. 😅

See what I'm saying?

So the branding of the term "mynty" (and website w/ gg) I think is unique and well done, but I would be careful actually assigning this condition to games.

My, humble, opinion would be to use the term "mynty" in an ironic/fanboy sense and base your branding on that, and not try to actually decide the condition of EVERY game listed on your site as you will INEVITABLY have people question your condition decisions. (Just my thoughts on your branding 😉)

Also.... not scrubbing any data and manually inputting all the data? Did I understand that correctly?

I guess that makes sense, but if the data is not input on a real-time basis it might not reflect recent sales until updated? Also, that's a shit ton of work. 🙈

Good luck, though... and it's great that you've come here and answered some questions directly. As you've seen, you've got a large potential market here, and these are the folks who you would want to target. Good luck!

Re: Usefulness of website... I think the website is pretty cool, however, most of the time if I'm looking up the price of a game, I just need a quick reference to know if I'm in the ballpark so I want to take a quick look.... Also, I'm probably looking at a few games.

So, for example, when I go to PriceCharting, no matter how I have the games sorted, they show up in a large LIST. I scroll down the list and find the games I'm looking for, done.

But your website.... has the games as large Icons, and only 12 at a time. I click "Load More" and only 12 more pop up. On the mobile site, I can basically get 1.5 games on the screen at once.... that's a LOT of scrolling to get through a couple games.

So.... with over 700 games, if I want to check out Zombie Nation, and look at some Mega Man games on my way, *checks calculator, that's like 60 clicks. 😳 I guess you assume people are going to search out each individual game they are looking for? Or are you STRICTLY targeting people who are going to use this as a collection tracker, and not a casual "price checker" like myself?

I do like that you have it catered to "high-end" collectors and have easily accessible variants. Neat to see the 5-screw/Tengen/Black Box/Etc. games have their own categories.

Either way.... visually the website and mobile site look amazing. Well done and all the best! 👏

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1