IGNORED

Aussie Sachen 31 in 1 Mighty Mix

Ankos

Sachen released all but one game for the Mega Duck library, and later re-released all of their Mega Duck titles on Gameboy (well...all the ones confirmed to have been released anyways). Way down the line they made some new games for the Gameboy Color, though for some of these they appear to have outsourced development. Finally they made a 31 in 1 Multi that has colorized versions of most of the Mega Duck library (missing Snake Roy, Puppet Knight, Suleiman's Treasure, the three Mahjong games and the Store Tris titles) and a couple of their GBC games. This came in two versions, the international version which changes Rocman X to Thunder Blast Man presumably due to differing copyright standards, and the original Taiwanese release.

Here is an online auction for the international release

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

i'm crazy enough to own a watara supervision.

Supervisions in some parts of the World aren't too expensive (at least for the machine itself). On Xianyu there are usually some affordable ones. My big issue with them is the screen, which dies to easily. It looks really nice when new, much better than a gameboy screen in my opinion, but over time pixels die on those, and now mine is not so good. As far as Taiwanese game systems are concerned I'd say the most expensive out of the seven that come to mind for me are the Super A'can and Game Master

6 hours ago, Ankos said:

Supervisions in some parts of the World aren't too expensive (at least for the machine itself). On Xianyu there are usually some affordable ones. My big issue with them is the screen, which dies to easily. It looks really nice when new, much better than a gameboy screen in my opinion, but over time pixels die on those, and now mine is not so good. As far as Taiwanese game systems are concerned I'd say the most expensive out of the seven that come to mind for me are the Super A'can and Game Master

Well knowing the cost and scarce value of it all the A-Can I'd rather enjoy through others.

The Supervision I have has a fascinating story behind it.  I got it from the owner of this website here:https://www.diskman.com/presents/supervision/sv.htm

Currently by far the most useful and well covered resource on the supervision and its games.  But where it takes a more interesting turn yet, the owner is the President&CEO of Super Fighter Team https://www.superfighter.com/  and I'm sure you've heard of that, or at least Sango FIghter among other releases.  They've done some solid commercial releases largely found on Genesis/MD with Beggar Prince, Legend of Wukong, Zaku, Star Odyssey, Nightmare Busters on SNES, Magic Girl, and others.

Funny enough it was a 100% love-hate thing.  He hated the handheld itself and I'm guessing most the games, but loved doing the website, the research, the hunting, the documentation, sharing and spreading the information about it.  There was a considerable slow burn of this info out over on atari age for a stretch.  When I saw he put it up for sale and knew in how good of shape the thing was I went for it on and picked it up and it had a couple games, but I went and got the A2Heaven multicart with the entire library on it just to keep things easy. 🙂  I think it's a great little handheld, he thinks i'm crazy for thinking that, but to me it's a beta Gameboy with the quality of what that Nintendo thing did in its early days.

• Like 2

That said, I'm planning to likely put a ridiculous bid down on that because of how nearly all the mega duck games made are all on one cart for Gameboy.  I've got an 8in1 sachen and it's nice, and its contents at least 4/8 if not all 8 (I'd have to check) are on this so that's fine by me.

• Like 1

That is a nice website. Good luck with the auction. The only Sachen 8 in 1 that has games not on the 31 in 1 is 8B-002 (that I am aware of. I could see more being discovered) which has Snake Roy, Puppet Knight, and Suleiman's Treasure. The mahjong/storetris stuff is going to be hard to find. I still haven't found copies of those myself

I've got the 8B-001 in a light blue shell for it and it has: Zip Ball, Final Mission Deep, Crazy Rider, Small Gorilla, Street Rider, Vex Block, Trap & Turn, Duck Adventures.

So it'll have overlap, but as I see it, the other titles are a huge cost savings buying all the individual ones or whatever.  There are some Sachen titles, but also that sintax stuff and the others I'd love to own but toxic a-holes in the US try and ask a multitude of times over reality for them and they just sit n rot from where I've looked which sucks.  They'd rather let it rot for a sucker than price it right.

I find that if you don't want to use shopping agents to access sites like Xianyu, Germany is the place to look for Sachen and Sintax stuff (on eBay). Not all sellers out of there ship to the USA by default, but if you ask nicely they sometimes will make exceptions. It'll still require some patience to find much, but occasionally it is possible to get lucky. Sintax also claims to have sold in other parts of Europe, like Portugal, but I've never seen one of their games in Portuguese

Well when the will is there I look at yahoo japan auctions, that's really about it.  I mean facebook randomly super rare has something like that, but also so does mercari which seems to have less overall greed and easier ways to start conversations and make offers too.  I don't deal on the chinese sites outside of a rarer buy on aliexpress.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the cart @Ankos I was all in as I said, and didn't go for an all in price thankfully.

Shockingly it arrived already which is really fast for ozzie mail and it is in great shape.  So far been poking a stick at Thunder Blastman so far since I have the Rocman X taiwanese sketchy famicom cart release and it's nice to see the differences.  The Jurassic one is sonic alright, kind of, just nastier but it's not bad, just not great.  Duck Adventures since it was in the last slot I tried, a fun variant on Lode Runner.

SO far quite satisfied with this international find.

Here's the game list if anyone cares:

THUNDER BLASTER MAN
JURASSIC BOY 2
STREET RIDER
BOMB DISPOSER           
DAN LASER
VEX BLOCK
EXPLOSIVEW BRICK 99
SMALL GORILLA
TRAP & TURN
PILE WONDER
ARCTIC ZONE
ZOO BLOCK
MAGIC TOWER                       
VIRUS ATTACK
ELECTRON WORLD
TROUBLE ZONE
DICK SQUARE
RAILWAY
WORM VISITOR
2ND SPACE
BLACK FOREST TALE
A-FORCE
SKY ACE
WAR FLEA
CRAZY BURGER
DEEP
ZIP BALL
PUPPET KINGHT          
CAPTAIN KNICK-KNACK ANT SOLDIER
DUCK ADVENTURES

• Like 1

Congrats. It is one of my favorites as far as multis dedicated to unlicensed stuff goes. Jurassic Boy is honestly pretty fun once you get the hang of it. As far as Sonic-like games on the DMG/GBC go it is in my opinion the best. Sachen's titles that originated on the GBC instead of the Mega Duck are kinda mixed in quality though. Rocman X isn't so good (I don't think it even has an ending, you just beat stages for the sake of beating them in that game). Dan Laser is my favorite game on the cart though. Aside from Gowin/Proto-Gowin, Sachen started making unlicensed Gameboy games almost a decade before all the other Taiwanese companies, but most of their titles are pretty fun (though a bit on the simple side)

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I got the cart @Ankos I was all in as I said, and didn't go for an all in price thankfully.

Shockingly it arrived already which is really fast for ozzie mail and it is in great shape.  So far been poking a stick at Thunder Blastman so far since I have the Rocman X taiwanese sketchy famicom cart release and it's nice to see the differences.  The Jurassic one is sonic alright, kind of, just nastier but it's not bad, just not great.  Duck Adventures since it was in the last slot I tried, a fun variant on Lode Runner.

SO far quite satisfied with this international find.

Here's the game list if anyone cares:

THUNDER BLASTER MAN
JURASSIC BOY 2
STREET RIDER
BOMB DISPOSER           
DAN LASER
VEX BLOCK
EXPLOSIVEW BRICK 99
SMALL GORILLA
TRAP & TURN
PILE WONDER
ARCTIC ZONE
ZOO BLOCK
MAGIC TOWER                       
VIRUS ATTACK
ELECTRON WORLD
TROUBLE ZONE
DICK SQUARE
RAILWAY
WORM VISITOR
2ND SPACE
BLACK FOREST TALE
A-FORCE
SKY ACE
WAR FLEA
CRAZY BURGER
DEEP
ZIP BALL
PUPPET KINGHT          
CAPTAIN KNICK-KNACK ANT SOLDIER
DUCK ADVENTURES

Puppet Knight is also good. I have that on a four in one, but my copy of the 31 in 1 is the Taiwanese version, which does not have that game. Instead it has Magic Maze. The Taiwanese version has Rocman X instead of Thunder Blast Man. Other than that I think they are the same

@Ankos I'd have to agree on a lot of that.  Yes it is already my favorite multi-unlicensed that's for sure.  I have my 8in1 which is on this too, but still, so much variety and yes I can see once you figure out going slower and just working with the quirks of the insta-re-pop back up enemies it's fairly good.  I've got a half dozen multicarts, largely licensed goods, but there are some colorful others on there too I like so I kept them.  This is in another league as Sachen has some pretty quality B tier stuff under their belt, and some that look just dumb by name or title screen end up being oddly compelling like that one I said earlier being a Lode Runner inspired thing.

I did look into it a bit when I threw the bid down, bootleg wiki has a nice short piece of the game lists for either region.  I was not quite able to figure out which games were missing, I think I'd like to get the other missing sachen titles of which I think there are 4 not on this cart such as Suleiman for one.

Rocman X I have a CIB release I unsealed from being new for Famicom, so I kind of like more that this one has Thunder Blast Man so I have the pair.

Ever try and crack a Sachen open?  I wanted to open it, photograph the board/chips, but I can't figure out how to slide that thing open and the last thing I want to do is crack or shatter the shell let alone the board bending it.

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@Ankos I'd have to agree on a lot of that.  Yes it is already my favorite multi-unlicensed that's for sure.  I have my 8in1 which is on this too, but still, so much variety and yes I can see once you figure out going slower and just working with the quirks of the insta-re-pop back up enemies it's fairly good.  I've got a half dozen multicarts, largely licensed goods, but there are some colorful others on there too I like so I kept them.  This is in another league as Sachen has some pretty quality B tier stuff under their belt, and some that look just dumb by name or title screen end up being oddly compelling like that one I said earlier being a Lode Runner inspired thing.

I did look into it a bit when I threw the bid down, bootleg wiki has a nice short piece of the game lists for either region.  I was not quite able to figure out which games were missing, I think I'd like to get the other missing sachen titles of which I think there are 4 not on this cart such as Suleiman for one.

Rocman X I have a CIB release I unsealed from being new for Famicom, so I kind of like more that this one has Thunder Blast Man so I have the pair.

Ever try and crack a Sachen open?  I wanted to open it, photograph the board/chips, but I can't figure out how to slide that thing open and the last thing I want to do is crack or shatter the shell let alone the board bending it.

I have never opened a Sachen cart myself. The games missing from that cart are on the following 4 in 1s: 4B-003, 4B-004, and 4B-008. 4B-003 is Taiwan exclusive as far as I am aware (maybe it got released in Mainland China too, but Mainland Sachen carts are pretty hard to find). The other two pop up regularly in Europe, particularly around Germany. Other than that there are a few more GBC games. Some of those show up on a 6 in 1, but that thing is incredibly hard to find. Finally there is Beast Fighter, which might have a DMG release as a single cart (Sachen DMG single carts are really rare, so I can't 100% say what was and wasn't released for that), but has a much more common GBC re-release

4in1
4B003
4B004
4B008

That would be 12 games, I was led to believe all the data online was that Sachen had like 36 GB releases give or take so I figured I was short maybe 4 games, not 12.  Beast Fighter has a single, fcgamer has this old online site and both international and taiwanese, picture at the link I put below has both CIB no less shown.  That page also knowing him I trust shows they only did 36 black and white releases, but COLOR that's another matter.  Color is screwball, most of them are just the original titles, colorized, and that's what the MIGHTY has.  They're very low rent colorizations, as lazy as you can get, but it add a little.

Sachen did just these stand alone color games: Beast Fighter, Jurassic Boy 2, Street Hero, 2002 Gedou Zhanlue, Rocman X(Thunder Blast Man)  5 or 6 depending if you're into variants.  He gives a minimalists lists of what carts to own, but reading that page I think there's still overlap probably to cover the colorized original ones.

Read the page you'll appreciate it, and it's a bit of a surprise as he doesn't usually say a word about gameboy, it's almost always famicom.

FYI my other sachen is the 8B-001 which I got off fcgamer awhile back.

https://fcgamer.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/exploring-sachens-game-boy-releases-part-i/

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

4in1
4B003
4B004
4B008

That would be 12 games, I was led to believe all the data online was that Sachen had like 36 GB releases give or take so I figured I was short maybe 4 games, not 12.  Beast Fighter has a single, fcgamer has this old online site and both international and taiwanese, picture at the link I put below has both CIB no less shown.  That page also knowing him I trust shows they only did 36 black and white releases, but COLOR that's another matter.  Color is screwball, most of them are just the original titles, colorized, and that's what the MIGHTY has.  They're very low rent colorizations, as lazy as you can get, but it add a little.

Sachen did just these stand alone color games: Beast Fighter, Jurassic Boy 2, Street Hero, 2002 Gedou Zhanlue, Rocman X(Thunder Blast Man)  5 or 6 depending if you're into variants.  He gives a minimalists lists of what carts to own, but reading that page I think there's still overlap probably to cover the colorized original ones.

Read the page you'll appreciate it, and it's a bit of a surprise as he doesn't usually say a word about gameboy, it's almost always famicom.

FYI my other sachen is the 8B-001 which I got off fcgamer awhile back.

https://fcgamer.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/exploring-sachens-game-boy-releases-part-i/

I read that page on fcgamer's blog, and should mention that there have been some discoveries concerning Sachen since then. Also, I don't think he was going for a minimalist list. It is actually pretty comprehensive for the time that he published it (not counting regional variants that just have difference packaging).

The 31 in 1 has 29 colorized monochrome Sachen games in addition to Thunder Blast Man and Jurassic Boy II, meaning it is seven short of the 36 games from the 4 in 1s. Going off of your list it lacks the three Mahjong titles and Store Tris 2 (which are on 4B-003), Snake Roy and Suleiman's Treasure (which are on 4B-004), and Magic Maze (which is on 4B-008).

Here is what I am confident was released:

On that blog post you linked it also shows off the B-XXX series. Monochrome single carts, which appear to include Beast Fighter (which was on the Mega Duck). In theory all 36 monochrome games, plus Beast Fighter, were released like that. I've seen collectors with some of those here and there, but they are very rare. Finally there is one more monochrome Sachen title, Store Tris 1. This one shows up on a 5 in 1, which was found by Tauwasser. I've never seen a cart for that (aside from the Mega Duck version), but considering there is a screenshot of its menu, I think it exists.

On BGW it mentions a color single cart for Street Rider, but I have not seen a copy of that myself (though it would not surprise me if it exists). Including that there are six color single carts for Sachen. Then there are the nine 4 in 1 color reprints, one 6 in 1, the four 8 in 1s, three 16 in 1s, and the two regional variants of the 31 in 1.

Some of this stuff got Mainland China releases through a Famiclone company called OMR.

I hope that helps

• Thanks 1

THANKS, that's what I was thinking found this video over on youtube of all the 4in1s that got released so it had the whole library stretched out.

When I was thinking of releases, I was thinking the shortest strategic way to the least amount of duplicates, color doesn't matter exactly, just actual content.  As you said, 7 short.  Even then the Manjong titles aren't the Americanize style but the tile game that needs chinese comprehension and rules, but Store Tris 2 is a winner.  I think ultimately Snake Roy, Suleiman's Treasure, and Magic Maze would be the key games.  I wonder if there is a 4 or likelier 8in1 color cart with those few that matter.

Beyond that, the other few color games.  Those would be Beast Fighter, Street Hero, 2002 Gedou Zhanlue.  Again content, not color, not reprints, have no care to pokemon that stuff (gotta catch em all) just looking for the direct shortest route to the few the multi lacks.

So yes what you said helps, just need to take a glance at it, talk with fcgamer off site, see if he has come across any of this stuff.  Not sure why I like these Sachen/GB/Megaduck games, some probably qualifying as disasters but they're short play fun.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:03 PM, Tanooki said:

He hated the handheld itself and I'm guessing most the games, but loved doing the website, the research, the hunting, the documentation, sharing and spreading the information about it. 
I think it's a great little handheld, he thinks i'm crazy for thinking that,

How weird! 

Congratulations on the auction. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

When I was thinking of releases, I was thinking the shortest strategic way to the least amount of duplicates, color doesn't matter exactly, just actual content

The minimal amount of carts to get full  coverage of Sachen's Gameboy games? I think it would be the following:

• Taiwan 31 in 1 Mighty Mix (Covers Rocman X, Jurassic Boy, and all but two 4 in 1s)
  • 4B-003 (or the rare 5 in 1 alt if you want both store tris titles)
  • 4B-004
  • Super 6 in 1 (Has Beast Fighter and Street Hero)
  • 2002格鬥戰略
  • Thunder Blast Man

There is no (known) 8 or 16 in 1 that has both the 4B-004 titles and Magic Maze, so with the Australian 31 in 1 you'd need 4B-008 as well, and would need to find a copy of Rocman X instead of Thunder Blast Man. The 5 in 1 has a Mega Duck version that is much more common than the Gameboy one. There is a 16 in 1 that has the Mahjong titles, but it wouldn't cover the other stuff better than the other carts I mentioned and only has one of the store tris titles