IGNORED

The Double D's (a duo from Taichung)

fcgamer

It's been about a year so I feel comfortable sharing this.

My friend and I started a music group here locally, we mostly do classic American fiddle songs and some original guitar songs I wrote. Sometimes we collaborate with some friends to drum, play bass, etc on some of our songs .

I recently just posted some videos from a performance we did last year, the largest music festival in central Taiwan. 

We're getting a demo CD out sometime early this year.

Check us out below and if you like what you see, please subscribe. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Social Team · Posted
3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

It's been about a year so I feel comfortable sharing this.

My friend and I started a music group here locally, we mostly do classic American fiddle songs and some original guitar songs I wrote. Sometimes we collaborate with some friends to drum, play bass, etc on some of our songs .

I recently just posted some videos from a performance we did last year, the largest music festival in central Taiwan. 

We're getting a demo CD out sometime early this year.

Check us out below and if you like what you see, please subscribe. Thanks!

200.gif

Just missing a jug, washboard, and some spoons.  I'll second @spacepup in that this isn't my kind of thing.  But awesome to share some cultural music with people half a world away from where it originated.  Thanks for sharing.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

@spacepup @FireHazard51 : To be honest, this actually isn't particularly my "style" of music either, but I've grown to enjoy it quite a bit, which relates to something that FireHazard mentioned.

No one else in Taiwan that I know of is performing this sort of music, whereas every random guy is playing some sort of rock music (which is what I actually had wanted to do, starting out...it just doesn't work too well when our only main members are a guitarist and a fiddler). In addition, so many of the songs are really simple to play on guitar (AM - E, or D G A7 etc), so I sometimes feel as though I come across as a mediocre guitarist (I'm not Slash or Eric Clapton or anything, but I can do a lot better than a D G A7 progression).  That being said, everyone else is basically doing the same style of music, and as we are doing this sort of fiddle music primarily, it makes us unique. 

All of the locals really get into our music for that reason, since it's something they aren't familiar with, and of course they generally clap along with the music, etc. It feels a bit surreal, and as a result I've really come to appreciate it and really have a lot of fun with it.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Just to be clear, my comment was not meant as any sort of jab on the style.  

If you are enjoying it, and if the people you are playing for are enjoying it, that is all that matters.  I can appreciate someone's efforts even if it isn't generally my main musical interest.

I'm pretty broad with my tastes - I like some 'folk' music and even some 'bluegrass,' but it really just depends on the song and style.

If you've found yourself an interesting niche that helps you stand out there, I think that's great.  Definitely continue to pursue and enjoy it if it adds value to yours or other people's lives.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Just to be clear, my comment was not meant as any sort of jab on the style.  

Oh no worries mate, I can guarantee you that our feelings were probably 100% aligned on the matter when I first got hooked up with the fiddler, so I totally get it 😉 

In the end, I think we have bigger aspirations than many of the other expat performers here (i.e. we realize that there are other performers better than us, but they seem content to just pick low-hanging apples and call it a day, whereas we are trying to take things a bit further), and therefore I think this accidently was the best thing that could have happened to us, despite me feeling less than lukewarm about playing Camptown Races initially 😄